11 patient evaluations for Occupational Therapy

Feb 28, 2008 (Started Sep 01, 2007)

None (for intention tremor)
  • Side effects
Dosage: 150 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: Before the loss of dexterity and the presentation of intention tremors in my hands brought on by MS, handwritten journaling was important to me. Loss of handwriting ability has been a substantial loss for me. I have recently become aware that my occupational therapists were woefully uneducated in the practice of handwriting. The several therapists I had offered handwriting therapy advice only in the form of practice writing (using the same techniques I had always used). They didn't know enough to recognize that my technique was exceptionally flawed. Only recently, through my own internet research, have I become aware of good handwriting techniques. I can now handwrite again without substantial pain and instant fatigue. My writing is still awkward, slow, and 'sloppy,' but it is actually more legible than before MS effects.

Apr 1, 2003 (Started Jan 01, 2000)

Moderate (for autism spectrum disorder)
    Moderate (for Asperger's syndrome)
  • Side effects
    Severe (social anxiety)
Dosage: 240 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I will never advise wholeheartedly against treatment that helps with interacting with the non-autistic world, but if you are the non-autistic family member insisting on it realize that many of the side effects of this treatment accidently (I know it's not the intention of the therapist) teach that the autistic person's feelings are never important. I had a very kind therapist, but I still learned that rule very well, and it's caused all kinds of problems in my life (including not resisting assault twice because of mistaken belief that I wasn't allowed to). Realize what is obviously not true to you is probably not obvious to your autistic family member; if we are always told off for upsetting non-autistic people but the non-autistic people are not equally told off for upsetting us, we will naturally assume our perceived importance is less.

Showing 2 of 11 patient evaluations for Occupational Therapy