14 patient evaluations for 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)

Mar 26, 2011 (Started Feb 03, 2011)

Moderate (for fibromyalgia)
  • Side effects

Mar 8, 2011 (Started Feb 03, 2011)

Major (for fibromyalgia)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This supplement has relieved depression, anxiety and PMS symptoms, helped control my appetite, and has assisted in a relief from severe pain.

Nov 16, 2008 (Started Nov 12, 2008)

Major (for Other)
    Major (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Evaluating 4 different brands to feel which is more effective. Since Glutamate is an excitatory neuro-transmitter which poisons Neurons. Increasing Serotonin should counteract it. First brand is Source Naturals - 100mg, will take this for a week then move on. So far effect is calming, better sleep, less clonus and spasticity.

May 6, 2017 (Started Sep 15, 2016)

Major (for gastrointestinal dysmotility)
  • Side effects
    Mild (hot flash after eating, flushing)
Advice & Tips: 5-HTP is a serotonin precursor. Serotonin is well-known as a hormone that affects one's mood in a positive way, but it is probably less-well known that it increases intestinal motility. It has worked magic for my symptoms. I am completely regular now, and the majority of my days are good days, whereas before I began taking it the majority of my days were bad days that began with symptoms of constipation and intestinal pain or discomfort. For me, at least, this is not a prescription. I began taking 5-HTP after my fiancee'--who had already been taking it to help her mood and, primarily, her difficulty sleeping through the night--learned it can be helpful when taken for gastrointestinal motility, and I began taking it myself shortly after that (and felt its effects almost immediately). Although not entirely unexpected, my slightly enhanced good moods are a nice side benefit of taking the supplement. I do get some very mild undesirable side effects, especially during mid-day when I take twice my morning and evening dose of 100 mg. Sometimes my face feels hot and flushes fairly noticeably--and this may be intensified with eating--but those symptoms subside within probably 30 minutes or less.

Showing 3 of 14 patient evaluations for 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)