What is Home Physical Therapy?

Category: Physical Therapy

true

Generic name: Physical Therapy

Physical therapy (PT) is a component of rehabilitation to build strength, mobility and fitness. PT may be used short term after an injury or long term following traumatic injury or serious illness such as a stroke to regain as much independence and functioning as possible.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

Severe 1
Moderate 8
Mild 17
None 26

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Home Physical Therapy

Side effect Patients

180 min weekly 1
30 min daily 1
270 min weekly 1

Why patients stopped taking Home Physical Therapy

Multiple reasons could be selected

Reason Patients

$25-49 2
< $25 29
Not specified 15

7 patient evaluations for Home Physical Therapy

35 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

StrkL
Legs: mild
I am: g
Parkinson's

See StrkL's full Home Physical Therapy history

Jun 25, 2014 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Major (for Balance problems)
    Major (for Dystonia)
    Moderate (for Freezing of gait)
    Major (for Improve mobility)
Dosage: 30 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. I do this to reduce dystonia and to reduce freezing. My Home Physical Therapy consists of 5 things: 1. Balance exercises; 2. Walking with weights; 3. Walking on my heels; 4. Walking on my toes; 5. Walking backwards and sideways. Here were the descriptions of what I do: 1. Balance exercises A. Every other day, I swing a 10-lb dumbbell around my waist while standing on one leg -(2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg, one set of 60 sec on right leg). The other day I do the exercises on a wobble board. Most day I also attempt to stand on each leg for 60 sec with my eyes closed (I stand in a corner and put my hands out for balance.B. Spins I spin clockwise once, then counter-clockwise once; then I spin CW twice and CCW twice; then CW three times and CCW three times; then CW five times and CCW five times. I do A before the rest of my workout; I do B before and after. 2. Walking with weights A. I walk with 20-lb dumbbells for about 5 minutes before the rest of my workout. Most days I also walk with 10-lb dumbbells for 5 minutes before the rest of my workout. 3. Walking on my heels. I walk on my heels for five minutes after my workout. 4. Walking on my toes I walk on my toes for about five minutes every other day after the rest of my workout. 5. Walking backwards and sideways. Most weeks I will, a couple of times a week, walk backwards for twp or three minutes, walk sideways to the left for two minutes, and walk sideways to the right for two minutes. I do this after the rest of my workout.

Feb 10, 2014 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Major (for Balance problems)
    Major (for Dystonia)
    Moderate (for Freezing of gait)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. I do this to reduce dystonia and to reduce freezing. My Home Physical Therapy consists of 4 things: 1. Balance exercises; 2. Walking with weights; 3. Walking on my heels; 4. Walking on my toes: Here are the descriptions of what I do: 1. Balance exercises A. I swing a 10-lb dumbbell around my waist while standing on one leg -(2 sets of 30 sec each on right leg, 2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg). B. Standing on wobble board (2 sets of 30 sec each on right leg, 2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg). C. Spins I spin clockwise once, then counter-clockwise once; then I spin CW twice and CCW twice; then CW three times and CCW three times; then CW five times and CCW five times. I do A and B before the rest of my workout; I do C before and after. 2. Walking with weights A. I walk with 15-lb dumbbells for 2-3 minutes B. I walk backward with 5-lb dumbbells for 2-3 minutes I do A and B before the rest of my workout. 3. Walking on my heels A. I walk on my heels for one minute before the rest of my workout B. I walk on my heels for five minutes after I'm done 4. Walking on my toes I walk on my toes for about a minute before the rest of my workout

Sep 25, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Moderate (for Dystonia)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Uncomfortable)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I follow a specific program to reduce my dystonia. See http://home.earthlink.net/~strkl/ for it.

Dec 1, 2011 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Moderate (for Dystonia)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Uncomfortable)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: My dystonia is worse in my left foot. It becomes pigeon-toed (pointing inward), and tends to twist so that I land on the outside of my foot when walking. In fact, I need to be careful that my ankle doesn't roll over (twisting my ankle). If I concentrate on landing more to the inside of my foot, and trying to keep my foot straight, I can continue to walk for a while. I've worked up to the point where I can walk for a mile or more this way. And I've found that I seem to have built up resistance to dystonia. I can exercise at higher intensity, or for a longer time, before getting dystonia. It used to be that once I went into dystonia, I would have to stop walking or running and finish my workout on an exercise bike or elliptical machine. And I would not be able to walk normally until I took my next dose and waited 30 to 60 minutes for it to take effect. (And it would be preferable to take my next dose immediately, or it would take two hours for me to come on then.) But now, even after pushing through the dystonia, once I shower and change, my dystonia is gone, and I can take my medication on my usual schedule. I do this as part of my regular exercise routine, not as Home Physical Therapy. I've just entered it this way because it seems to be the only way I can do so. I wrote about this in more detail at http://www.patientslikeme.com/forum/pd/topics/100055?post_id=1535080#post-1535080

nacona
Legs: moderate
I am: n
ALS

See nacona's full Home Physical Therapy history

Mar 2, 2012 (Started Nov 18, 2010)

Moderate (for Improve flexibility/strength)
    Moderate (for Degenerative Disc Disease)
  • Side effects

Dec 24, 2010 (Started Nov 18, 2010)

Moderate (for Improve flexibility/strength)
  • Side effects

Dec 14, 2010 (Started Nov 18, 2010)

Slight (for Improve flexibility/strength)
    Slight (for Degenerative Disc Disease)
Dosage: 120 min Weekly

FM:8y Dx
I am: b
Fibromyalgia

See Keeper of the Flame's full Home Physical Therapy history

Jan 1, 2012 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

None (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Severe (Pain)
Dosage: 60 min Daily
Advice & Tips: It was very painful to do the physical therapy. I did the therapy every day and it just caused more and more pain. It was mostly stretching and strength excersizes and they caused my muscles to burn terribly.

Showing 3 of 7 patient evaluations for Home Physical Therapy