What is Orthodontics?

Category: Procedures

false

Orthodontics is a dentistry field that diagnoses, prevents and treats irregularities in teeth and jaw structure. Treatments in orthodontic care can focus on dental displacement or on control and modification of facial growth, also known as dentofacial orthopedics.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

Severe 0
Moderate 1
Mild 1
None 1

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Orthodontics

Side effect Patients
$25-49 0
< $25 1
Not specified 0

1 patient evaluation for Orthodontics

May 3, 2016 (Started Nov 15, 2011)

Major (for malocclusion)
  • Side effects
Dosage: Every 8 Weeks
Advice & Tips: At long last -splint-braces- surgery - braces(continued) and braces off! Now simply retainers at night. Now that I am free of braces time to get the restorative dental caused from before braces damage to my teeth. always something to maintain.

Nov 26, 2014 (Started Nov 15, 2011)

Major (for malocclusion)
  • Side effects
    Mild (uncomfortable)
Dosage: Every 8 Weeks
Advice & Tips: Orthodontic treatment is expensive and requires full cooperation. Flossing, wearing splint, and elastics as required. Expected benefits will be continued headache freedom, and aligned teeth will stop the damage / cracking, chipping and crowded hard to clean teeth. When I started this process I had continued to deceive myself that my depression is going to improve faster than it has, so difficulties with flossing. As I often have a low appetite I would often choose not to eat so I do not have to floss my teeth. Not recommended. The next step is surgery on the dec 10th, lower jaw to move my jaw forward. My teeth are now in place so that after the surgery I will have the correct bite and another 6-9 months of braces to fine tune my bite. Then retainers as well as the restorative dental work to fix the damage from the poor bite. It is critical that if a dentist wants to improve your smile, implants etc, do not do this until you have consulted an orthodontist. I had braces 20 years before and yes my bottom teeth stopped biting into the roof of my mouth, and my smile was improved, but without the sound base it was all for nothing. Also an ethical orthodontist will not change a crooked teeth if the bite (occlusion) is correct.

Showing 1 of 1 patient evaluation for Orthodontics