133 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection

Aug 18, 2009 (Started Aug 14, 1996)

Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fever/chills, flu like symptoms, muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: I would like to stay on Avonex, but with the liver acting up, I will stop it for now. I want to go back on it or go to an oral that doesn't effect the liver.
Side effects: fever/chills, flu like symptoms, muscle aches

Jan 5, 2010 (Started Feb 21, 2009)

None (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dizziness, fever/chills, joint pain, tiredness, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, shivering, muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I had flu sx the whole 1 and half yrs I was on this med, and when I went back for my MRI , I had 2 new lesions on my C-spine. My Dr was not happy with this and decided that I needed a more aggressive med. I will be going on Tysabri when the paperwork is complete.
Side effects: shivering, whole body ache, tiredness, muscle aches, flu like symptoms, joint pain, dizziness, fever/chills

Dec 30, 2009 (Started Feb 21, 2009)

None (for multiple sclerosis)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly

May 11, 2009 (Started Feb 21, 2009)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (dizziness, fever/chills, joint pain, tiredness, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, shivering, muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I take 1 benydril when I take my shot to avoid the side effects of fever, aches and pains. I also take one of my darvocet for the pain since I can't take advil due to allergy. I also take my shot at a time that when the effects start I can lay down for the night and sleep the symptoms off.

Apr 3, 2009 (Started Feb 21, 2009)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: be patient.... take benydril , and tylenol, a half hr before avonex. take the avonex at a time of day that the side effects will hit at night while you are sleeping. that way you don't have to feel it all.

Mar 14, 2009 (Started Feb 21, 2009)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: HYDRATE HEAVILY THE DAY BEFORE AND OF INJECTION, TAKE BENYDRIL AND ACETAMINOPHEN OR IBUPROFEN 30 MIN BEFORE INJECTION.ICE OR PUT PRESSURE ON THE INJECTION A MIN OR SO BEFORE PUTTING THE NEEDLE IN AS IT NUMBS THE AREA WHILE YOU ARE INJECTING THE MEDS.

Feb 21, 2009 (Started Feb 21, 2009)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fever/chills, joint pain, flu like symptoms, shivering, muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Ice or put pressure on injection site before injecting as it helps with the pain of the needle going through the top layer of skin. Take Tylenol or other prescribed pain med and also benydril one hr before injection as it helps with the aches and flu symptoms.

Feb 5, 2010 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (fever/chills, headaches, fever, joint pain, lethargy, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, migraine headaches, whole body pain, muscle aches)
Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: After 15months I could not deal with the side effects which for me were not worth it. I stopped taking the drug and I feel sooo...:) much better. I am not saying that anyone else should do this. We all must do what is best for ourselves and our families. If it should become necessary to use some type of drug in the future I will, for now I will stick to smoking a little pot and eating well. This drug took my life away daily and I got it back. Good luck to all of us with MS.
Side effects: joint pain, whole body pain, flu like symptoms, lethargy, whole body ache, fever/chills, fever, migraine headaches, muscle aches, headaches, headaches

Dec 17, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Dosage: Weekly

Aug 18, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fever/chills, headaches, fever, joint pain, lethargy, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, migraine headaches, whole body pain, muscle aches)
Dosage: Weekly

May 12, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: I have not beeen using Avonex long enough to tell how well it is working. Need another scan to see what it is doing or not doing. I am going to stick with it, so to speak, until my next scan. Might try a different med. after scan depending on the out come. Whatever med. you use if it works I say stay with it.

Apr 14, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: It would appear that the Avonex is working. Advice is stay on your drugs if they work for you...

Feb 17, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: After 8 or so weeks it appears that it is working. Advice...DO NOT stop your meds. you will have to start over. If you are over the bad stuff stick with it.

Jan 20, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, headaches, fever, joint pain, lethargy, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, migraine headaches, muscle aches)
Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: First shot was a bitch, blinding headache, chills, shaking,body pain, all of the above. Last shot [#5] no problems at all. Wonderful. I will stick with it and keep my fingers crossed. Advice DO NOT go without your meds. I believe this is going to work for me. May be too early to tell.

Showing 3 of 133 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection