131 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection

Aug 18, 2009 (Started Aug 14, 1996)

Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fever/chills, flu like symptoms, muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: I would like to stay on Avonex, but with the liver acting up, I will stop it for now. I want to go back on it or go to an oral that doesn't effect the liver.
Side effects: fever/chills, flu like symptoms, muscle aches

Feb 5, 2010 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (fever/chills, headaches, fever, joint pain, lethargy, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, migraine headaches, whole body pain, muscle aches)
Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: After 15months I could not deal with the side effects which for me were not worth it. I stopped taking the drug and I feel sooo...:) much better. I am not saying that anyone else should do this. We all must do what is best for ourselves and our families. If it should become necessary to use some type of drug in the future I will, for now I will stick to smoking a little pot and eating well. This drug took my life away daily and I got it back. Good luck to all of us with MS.
Side effects: joint pain, whole body pain, flu like symptoms, lethargy, whole body ache, fever/chills, fever, migraine headaches, muscle aches, headaches, headaches

Dec 17, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Dosage: Weekly

Aug 18, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fever/chills, headaches, fever, joint pain, lethargy, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, migraine headaches, whole body pain, muscle aches)
Dosage: Weekly

May 12, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: I have not beeen using Avonex long enough to tell how well it is working. Need another scan to see what it is doing or not doing. I am going to stick with it, so to speak, until my next scan. Might try a different med. after scan depending on the out come. Whatever med. you use if it works I say stay with it.

Apr 14, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: It would appear that the Avonex is working. Advice is stay on your drugs if they work for you...

Feb 17, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: After 8 or so weeks it appears that it is working. Advice...DO NOT stop your meds. you will have to start over. If you are over the bad stuff stick with it.

Jan 20, 2009 (Started Dec 19, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, headaches, fever, joint pain, lethargy, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, migraine headaches, muscle aches)
Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: First shot was a bitch, blinding headache, chills, shaking,body pain, all of the above. Last shot [#5] no problems at all. Wonderful. I will stick with it and keep my fingers crossed. Advice DO NOT go without your meds. I believe this is going to work for me. May be too early to tell.

Jun 1, 2010 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, tiredness, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: My husband gave me my injections as my fear of needles would never allow me to inject myself. The side effects were manageable for me with the use of Tylenol or Advil. I had one mild flare up during my time on Avonex, but there were new lesions discovered on my most recent MRI (May 2010). I quit taking Avonex in June when we decided to get pregnant. We were successful and expect our baby boy in early May 2011. After the birth of the baby, I will begin a new MS therapy. The docs think Tysabri is the way to go, but we have not finalized a new path yet.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Oct 20, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, tiredness, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I did have a mild flare up a few months ago - Optic neuritis strikes again! It was mild and more of an annoyance than anything. Didn't have to do the steroid treatment because is wasn't extremely disruptive to my day-to-day activities. When I met with my doc a couple of weeks ago she expressed that it was a good thing I was sticking with the Avonex. In spite of the flare up, after reviewing the most recent MRI results and talking with me she feels that the Avonex IS working.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Feb 25, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, tiredness, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Eating a meal right after the injection has helped minimize my side effects. Also taking the max dosage of Tylenol or Advil right before the injection and often 3-4 hours later have helped to manage the side effects. I schedule my injections for a time when there is the least amount of other activity planned. This way, if I do have a crappy reaction I can veg out, have a lazy day and just relax. After a year and half using Avonex the times when I experience side effects are very infrequent.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Jan 11, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I take my shot on Fridays between 5:30pm and 7:30pm. Then I stay home and have a lazy evening and Saturday morning. Usually by Saturday afternoon I feel normal again and still have a weekend. I take 3 extra strength Tylenol 30 mins. before injection and again 3 hours later. I have found that a solid meal after the injection is necessary for controlling my side effects. A few times I had uncontrollable chills - the heating pad was the only thing that helped ease them. I don't know if it's really working or not but I haven't had any flare ups since I started the treatment so I feel optimistic about the treatment.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Jan 7, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Since beginning with Avonex about 9 mos. ago I haven't had any relapse. I assume that means the meds are doing their job. I control the side effects easily by staying well hydrated, taking Tylenol before the injection and have a meal shortly after the injection. After first few months side effects are less frequent.

Showing 3 of 131 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection