131 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection

Jun 1, 2010 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, tiredness, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: My husband gave me my injections as my fear of needles would never allow me to inject myself. The side effects were manageable for me with the use of Tylenol or Advil. I had one mild flare up during my time on Avonex, but there were new lesions discovered on my most recent MRI (May 2010). I quit taking Avonex in June when we decided to get pregnant. We were successful and expect our baby boy in early May 2011. After the birth of the baby, I will begin a new MS therapy. The docs think Tysabri is the way to go, but we have not finalized a new path yet.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Oct 20, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, tiredness, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I did have a mild flare up a few months ago - Optic neuritis strikes again! It was mild and more of an annoyance than anything. Didn't have to do the steroid treatment because is wasn't extremely disruptive to my day-to-day activities. When I met with my doc a couple of weeks ago she expressed that it was a good thing I was sticking with the Avonex. In spite of the flare up, after reviewing the most recent MRI results and talking with me she feels that the Avonex IS working.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Feb 25, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, tiredness, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Eating a meal right after the injection has helped minimize my side effects. Also taking the max dosage of Tylenol or Advil right before the injection and often 3-4 hours later have helped to manage the side effects. I schedule my injections for a time when there is the least amount of other activity planned. This way, if I do have a crappy reaction I can veg out, have a lazy day and just relax. After a year and half using Avonex the times when I experience side effects are very infrequent.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Jan 11, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I take my shot on Fridays between 5:30pm and 7:30pm. Then I stay home and have a lazy evening and Saturday morning. Usually by Saturday afternoon I feel normal again and still have a weekend. I take 3 extra strength Tylenol 30 mins. before injection and again 3 hours later. I have found that a solid meal after the injection is necessary for controlling my side effects. A few times I had uncontrollable chills - the heating pad was the only thing that helped ease them. I don't know if it's really working or not but I haven't had any flare ups since I started the treatment so I feel optimistic about the treatment.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Jan 7, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Since beginning with Avonex about 9 mos. ago I haven't had any relapse. I assume that means the meds are doing their job. I control the side effects easily by staying well hydrated, taking Tylenol before the injection and have a meal shortly after the injection. After first few months side effects are less frequent.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Mar 24, 2009 (Started Jun 01, 1996)

Can't tell (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 mcg Weekly
Advice & Tips: If your using a kit the needle size may be too large. You can request smaller, thinner ones that don't hurt as much. Just make sure they are long enough to get into the muscle but not so long that they go too deep. The nurses say that ice on the injection site in advance should help deaden pain. I never use, relaxing is he best way to avoid pain. Be calm relax and don't expect pain. Works for me.
Side effects: fever/chills, whole body ache, flu like symptoms, muscle aches

May 2, 2009 (Started Jul 10, 2002)

Moderate (for Other)
    Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, joint pain, flu like symptoms, muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 mcg Daily
Side effects: fever/chills, flu like symptoms, joint pain, muscle aches

Jan 7, 2009 (Started Jul 10, 2002)

Can't tell (for Other)
    Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever/chills, joint pain, flu like symptoms, muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 mcg Weekly
Advice & Tips: ONCE A WEEK IS DEFINATELY AN ADVANTAGE. ALSO, I HAVE INJECTIONS ON SUNDAYS AND LATE MORNING. I HAVE NOT CHANGED OR ALTERED SINCE JULY 2002, AND MY LAST MAJOR EXACERBATION WAS JANUARY 2004.
Side effects: fever/chills, flu like symptoms, joint pain, muscle aches

Oct 21, 2008 (Started Jul 10, 2002)

Major (for Other)
    Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fever/chills, joint pain, flu like symptoms, muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 mcg Weekly
Advice & Tips: TAKE MEDICATION AS PRESCRIBED BY PHYSCIAN.

Showing 3 of 131 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection