78 patient evaluations for Dalfampridine

Mar 5, 2014 (Started Mar 07, 2009)

Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
Side effects: dizziness and feeling faint

Apr 22, 2011 (Started Mar 07, 2009)

Side effects: dizziness and feeling faint

Oct 25, 2009 (Started Mar 07, 2009)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: 10/25/09: No more MS fatigue. I am still on 10mg 4 AP SR daily, first thing upon waking. No problems.
Side effects: dizziness and feeling faint

Apr 18, 2009 (Started Mar 07, 2009)

Dosage: 7.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Start with a low dose - 2.5mg or 5mg. Be prepared for feeling a bit "drunk" at first. Stay on that dose for a while. If the "drunk" feeling is a problem or causes safety issues, lower the dose. I started with 10mg, and was too "drunk." This scared me and I stopped after my second dose of 4-AP SR. I waited a few days and then started again with 5mg. Much less drunk, however, I was careful to plan a few days of staying at home. After success with 5mg, I increased the dosage to 7.5mg each morning. The 5mg dose ended MS fatigue and allowed me to walk (move my bad left leg) more easily. It felt less like concrete (heavy). Strength and agility in my bad left hand (fingers) also improved, along with movement of my left shoulder and balance. After about 2-3 weeks, I increased the dosage to 7.5mg each morning. I got a bit more benefit, but not proportional to the increase. Will stay on 7.5mg for a while. QOL increased greatly with 5mg, and only a bit more at 7.5mg. When I took the 10mg capsule, it was without food. I started the 5mg capsules with a little food (for about 7-8 days and took them with food when I increased to 7.5mg. After a few days, I stopped taking the 7.5mg with food - just swallowed with water. After about 10-15 minutes, I would have my morning coffee. No problems. 4-AP SR is not a miracle drug. It does not remove the burdens of MS. I still use my 3-wheeled walker in the house and my electric scooter outside, BUT, I move more easily, have no more fatigue, am more active, and my QOL is much improved. I am less likely to fall and am less afraid of falling – so I can do more.
Side effects: dizziness and feeling faint

Mar 19, 2009 (Started Mar 07, 2009)

Moderate (for Improve mobility)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dizziness and feeling faint)
Advice & Tips: Start taking the drug when you can stay at home and have no scheduled engagements. Increase to 10mg, or 5mg twice a day when ready. Work with your neurologist and verify everything with them.
Side effects: dizziness and feeling faint

Jun 24, 2012 (Started Mar 31, 2010)

None (for multiple sclerosis)
    None (for Improve mobility)
    None (for Improve flexibility/strength)
Side effects: balance problems

Mar 4, 2011 (Started Mar 31, 2010)

Can't tell (for Improve flexibility/strength)
    Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (balance problems)
Advice & Tips: After a four week break I started on Ampyra again. When I did not take the meds I slowly got weaker, and tired more quickly. Now I have more energy and strength. I'll see how it goes ....
Side effects: balance problems

Feb 2, 2011 (Started Mar 31, 2010)

Can't tell (for Improve mobility)
    None (for Improve mobility)
    Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (balance problems)
Advice & Tips: I stopped taking Ampyra for now to see how I will do without. The compromised balance that I have when using it became more of a problem as time went on. The increased stamina and energy did no longer outweigh my balance problems.
Side effects: balance problems

Nov 8, 2010 (Started Mar 31, 2010)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (balance problems)
Advice & Tips: I felt that I was overmedicated with 2 doses of Ampyra per day. I tended to forget the evening dose 3-5 evenings per week. I talked to my neuro and she advised to experiment with 1 dose a day. I did that slowly, alternating 20 with 10 mg for a few weeks. Now I use 10mg/day and doing better. My balance has improved, and my fatigue is still gone.
Side effects: balance problems

Sep 16, 2010 (Started Mar 31, 2010)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (balance problems)
Advice & Tips: The summer wiped out most of the effects of Ampyra. Some of the effects of the drug that arestill there are: My fatigue symptoms have practically disappeared. My balance has worsened quite a lot, however. I am trying to find the right dosage of ampyra. Twice a day seems to be too much - at least twice a week I forget the evening dose, because I feel well. Now that the summer heat and humidity are (ALMOST) behind us, I hope that the initial improvements I experienced will pick up again.
Side effects: balance problems

Apr 27, 2010 (Started Mar 31, 2010)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I have been on Ampyra for 4 weeks now, and the effects are stunning. I am rediscovering sensations and make movements I forgot I could do. I walk much better, I can lift my knee, and my footdrop is less. My right hand does not get tired as soon as before. And, for the first time in years I have sensation in the soles of my feet!! This is making a huge difference in my quality of life.
Side effects: balance problems

Jun 23, 2017 (Started Sep 23, 2010)

Major (for walking problems)
    Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
Dosage: 10 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: Ampyra remains a very effective aid both for walking and the relief of spinal symptoms.

Apr 12, 2016 (Started Sep 23, 2010)

Dosage: 10 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: Ampyra remains a major help for walking, because it enhances my stamina. It is also a major help for all prior spinal symptoms, except for sexual, which has died on it's own.

Jan 25, 2016 (Started Sep 23, 2010)

Major (for Improve mobility)
    Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
Dosage: 10 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: An excellent aid to walking and continues to help spinal related issues.

Mar 9, 2015 (Started Sep 23, 2010)

Dosage: 10 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: Ampyra helped my walking and eliminated my lingering, periodic 2005 spinal symptoms that were caused by poor nerve conduction integrity (such as sexual erection and bowel movements). Even today (March 9, 2015) these various improvements continue.

Jun 2, 2014 (Started Sep 23, 2010)

Dosage: 10 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: Ampyra continues being an excellent, beneficial MS treatment, I'm in catastrophic coverage so I have no copays.

Apr 4, 2014 (Started Sep 23, 2010)

Major (for helps walking stamina)
Dosage: 10 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: Ampyra helped my walking and eliminated my lingering, periodic 2005 spinal symptoms that were caused by poor nerve conduction integrity (such as sexual erection and bowel movements). Even today (July 11, 2013) these various improvements continue

Dec 5, 2010 (Started Sep 23, 2010)

Major (for helps walking stamina)
Dosage: 10 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: Ampyra has greatly reduced and/or eliminated my MS spinal symptoms, but only those that began with my Oct. 05 attack. None of my older symptoms changed, so I'm guessing this drug can restore nerve conduction in recently demyelinated and remyelinated axons, beyond those needed simply for walking.

Oct 2, 2010 (Started Sep 23, 2010)

Moderate (for Improve mobility)
    Major (for Improve flexibility/strength)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Prior to starting Ampyra I could only walk about a quarter mile, when my nerve fiber fatigue would force me to sit and rest (about 5 minutes) before I could continue walking. Now I am able to walk a whole mile, before resting. Plus I no longer immediately fall asleep, after just a little exertion or exercise. Ampyra lessens my fatigue not completely eliminating it. but I am happy to have regained longer functioning time periods.

Showing 3 of 78 patient evaluations for Dalfampridine