What is Diaphragm Pacing Implant?

Category: Equipment

Most popular types: Neurx Diaphragm Pacing System

false

The NeuRX RA/4 System is a system designed to help patient’s breathing by stimulation of their diaphragm muscles. The stimulator provides repetitive electrical stimulation to the implanted electrodes to cause the patient’s diaphragm to contract and help the patient to breathe.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

• None
  • Can't tell

Side effects

Severity Evaluations

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Diaphragm Pacing Implant

Side effect Patients

12 hr daily 1
16 hr daily 1
17 hr daily 1

Why patients stopped taking Diaphragm Pacing Implant

Multiple reasons could be selected

Reason Patients

$25-49 4
< $25 20
Not specified 26

6 patient evaluations for Diaphragm Pacing Implant

Apr 22, 2014 (Started Apr 11, 2012)

Can't tell (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
Dosage: 10 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: Stopped because I don't want my breathing muscles to outlast my hands/swallowing.

Dec 3, 2012 (Started Apr 11, 2012)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (breathing difficulty, difficulty speaking when machine is on, anxious mood)
Dosage: 14 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: After a trip to Maui where I found it difficult to relax, I realized there is a general level of discomfort and anxiety when I have the pacer on. On a trial basis, I'm cutting my usage to about 14 hours/day, from 6pm-8am. So far, after about a week of this usage I am feeling better during the day.

Aug 30, 2012 (Started Apr 11, 2012)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (breathing difficulty, difficulty speaking when machine is on, anxious mood)
Dosage: 23 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: I now have the pacer on about 23 hours per day. I'm no longer feeling the need to shut it off for an hour or so like I was a couple months ago. I would say that I've finally acclimated to it. One month ago at ALS clinic my FVC and MIP measurements were both up, to 73% and 47 respectively. I take this as a sign that the DPS is helping to stabilize my breathing ability. (Perhaps also I'm getting better at taking the test!) All costs except a $100 hospital co-pay are paid by my Medicare HMO. Replacement batteries, cables, and connector bandages are also covered, at 100%.

Jun 18, 2012 (Started Apr 11, 2012)

Can't tell (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
Dosage: 16 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: My setting were last increased on 5/23/12. Now it wears me out. I try to have the pacer on all day and night but my breathing muscles tire and I need to turn it off for a while and/or use my bipap more during the day. So my pacer usage is down from 23 to about 16 hours/day. And my bipap usage has increased to about 14 hrs/day. I will see the neurologist and DPS medical team on Wednesday and I'm going to request my pacer settings be reduced to the level they were 4 weeks ago. I'm thinking the setting is too high now. I sleep very well with the pacer going though. I wake rested and comfortable and just want to keep lying there in comfort. My breathing syncs with it while I'm asleep but during the day it doesn't and that may be part of the problem. Does it work? This is the big question and I can't answer that any more than I can answer whether Rilutek works. It hasn't made my breathing better but it's only supposed to slow the progression. I had a PFT done on 5/29/12 six weeks post-op. My FVC had previously been on a steady pace of -4 points/month but actually increased from 49% in March to 53% in May. But my MIP decreased from 48 to 37 in the same time period.

Apr 24, 2012 (Started Apr 11, 2012)

None (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
Dosage: 16 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: I've only had the pacer implanted just under two weeks ago. I'm experiencing some perhaps typical adjustments. - 1. Learning to shower and change the dressing, 2. Getting used to the feel of it, 3. Occasional problems with the cable getting tugged on. I don't see any benefit yet. If anything, breathing is a little more labored than it was before surgery.

Jan 1, 2012 (Started Aug 13, 2008)

Side effects: difficulty speaking when machine is on

Oct 28, 2009 (Started Aug 13, 2008)

Side effects: difficulty speaking when machine is on

Apr 4, 2009 (Started Aug 13, 2008)

Side effects: difficulty speaking when machine is on

Jan 27, 2009 (Started Aug 13, 2008)

Major (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (difficulty speaking when machine is on)
Advice & Tips: Has improved my FVC
Side effects: difficulty speaking when machine is on

Sep 30, 2011 (Started Oct 29, 2010)

Dosage: 12 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: I have been using the pacer now for about a year. Over that time, I have sent the unit back to University Hospital in Cleveland several times to "tweak" the parameters to allow for maximum benefit with no discomfort. Currently, I have the pacer fairly optimized to me, and I use it approximately 12 hours per day while I am sleeping. To date, I have experienced very favorable results. My FVC scores over the last year have been very steady as a result of using the pacer daily. Now that it is FDA approved for use in ALS patients, I would highly recommend considering this device. Once the wires are implanted, it is very easy to use and has proved to be very beneficial and has improved my quality of life significantly.

Nov 30, 2010 (Started Oct 29, 2010)

Slight (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
Dosage: 12 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: I had the pacer along with a PEG tube implanted about one month ago. The procedure itself was fairly painless and recovery time was minimal, only about a week. The surgery for the pacer is a orthoscopic procedure where only 4 small incisions are made in the abdomen. The wires of the implant come out of the body just under the breast and are attached to a small plug which is taped to the body just under the breast. The pacer is actually an external device which is attached to the plug when using it. I use my pacer approximately 16 hours per day. I use it primarily through the night with no discomfort. I am hoping that the use of the pacer allows me to keep my diaphragm muscles from atrophy. Time will tell.

Showing 3 of 6 patient evaluations for Diaphragm Pacing Implant