What is Stair Climbing?

Category: Exercises

false

Stair climbing uses the muscles of the legs, in particular the quadriceps (front of the thighs) and the buttocks.

Side effects

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Stair Climbing

Side effect Patients
Muscle aches 1

Why patients stopped taking Stair Climbing

Multiple reasons could be selected

Reason Patients

$25-49 0
< $25 3
Not specified 0

1 patient evaluation for Stair Climbing

Jan 15, 2017 (Started Jun 15, 2007)

Major (for walking difficult without aid)
    Major (for mobility decreased)
    Major (for Improve mobility)
    Major (for Improve flexibility/strength)
    Major (for General health)
  • Side effects
    Mild (muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: after dbs, i am having great difficulty running, or walking fast. i have very little trouble walking slowly, though. running stairs is a little harder than before dbs, but i find i get more benefit from walking (in terms of improving my walking) than from stairs. so for now i'm sticking with walking, especially since stairs can be very tiring.

Jan 19, 2016 (Started Jun 15, 2007)

Major (for Improve mobility)
    Major (for General health)
  • Side effects
    Mild (muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I have discovered that if I don't walk regularly, I seem to forget how, even if I'm otherwise quite fit (from elliptical or exercise bike) . And once I start having walking difficulties, I tend to go into a downward spiral, where I freeze more and more, and walk less (or go very slowly  due to freezing, so that I get little benefit from it) . But I have also pfound that climbing stairs helps me retain, and regain, my walking ability.  And no matter how much trouble I have with freezing while walking, I never freeze while climbing stairs.  And running stairs is even better. So I do stairs two or three days weekly. But I do have to ensure I don't overdo it, since stair climbing can be very strenuous. The fact that it is so strenuous can be a positive - you can get a great aerobic workout in a very short time.  Also, it is great for strengthening the legs.

Apr 10, 2014 (Started Jun 15, 2007)

Major (for General health)
  • Side effects
    Mild (muscle aches)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I usually work out at a gym. But Sunday mornings it's closed, so then I walk around the neighborhood. But if the weather is bad, I'll climb stairs instead. One thing I've found - I sometimes start climbing stairs before taking my medication, and after twenty or thirty minutes I'll come on, as if I had taken my medication. (Unfortunately this state only last ten or twenty minutes.) Stair climbing is quite strenuous - so don't do it unless you're in good shape (or start very slowly).

Showing 1 of 1 patient evaluation for Stair Climbing