1 patient evaluation for Service Animal

Oct 11, 2018 (Started Jun 30, 2016)

Major (for autism spectrum disorder)
  • Side effects
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Having a service dog is immeasurably beneficial. The benefits for me include an increased tolerance of social situations and being physically touched, an increase in the ability to handle stress, increased confidence level and the ability to be comfortably "out in the world," the constant companionship of someone who is real, genuine, never plays games, and hasn't ulterior motives, and someone who provides a comforting/calming deep pressure (one of his tasks - "Howie, hug!"). Having a service dog is a constant responsibility. I would very, very highly recommend to someone contemplating getting a service tog to get one that has been fully trained for that purpose. Howie is my third dog, but the only one I got that was already fully trained. I would never again do it any other way. But be forewarned: a trained service dog is extremely expensive. Howie was $16,000. To replace him now would cost me $20,000. To me he is more than worth it. Most people who purchase a service dog must fundraise. But Howie is my life. (And absolutely every expense associated with a service dog is tax-deductible. They are considered medical expenses.)

Showing 1 of 1 patient evaluation for Service Animal