29 patient evaluations for Deep Brain Stimulation

Jun 12, 2018 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Advice & Tips: My mood improved with my confidence and improved abilities
Side effects: depressed mood

Feb 18, 2009 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Side effects: depressed mood

Jan 11, 2009 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: ask lots of questions and do lots of research before the procedure and know your doctors,make sure they know you well
Side effects: depressed mood

Nov 9, 2008 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Mild (depressed mood)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Huge mobility improvements and overall increased self sufficiency
Side effects: depressed mood

Oct 30, 2017 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: My DBS operation was in 2010 at the University of Cincinnati Hospital, Dr. Mandybur with the Mayfield Clinic. DBS is critical for me to live a more normal life!! When I have experienced my DBS being turned off, I can't hardly move, my face becomes a mask, I feel terrible, can't dress my self, etc. If you have had PD for 7 years, I recommend that you definitely should check if you are a candidate for the procedure!! Update: I now go to 7 hours of PD specific exercise classes including 3 hours per week at Rock Steady Boxing for conditioning, weight training and boxing. Exercise is the new medicine for Parkinson's. If you are not involved, get moving. The more we sit around the worse our symptoms will be.

Mar 31, 2016 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Major (for on to off fluctuations worsening)
  • Side effects
    Mild (slurred speech)
Dosage: Daily

Dec 15, 2015 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: DBS is critical for me to live a more normal life!! When I have experienced my DBS being turned off, I can't hardly move, my face becomes a mask, I feel terrible, can't dress my self, etc.   If you have had PD for 4-5 years, I recommend that you definitely should check if you are a candidate for the procedure!!

Feb 10, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

None (for on to off fluctuations worsening)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Ditto all the above. On April 3rd I need to get my rechargeable Medtronic battery changed after 8 years. The replacement is the same battery that I have had, so the same setting can be used. The rechargeable battery has been great. If I had the regular non-rechargeable battery I probably would have had 4 battery replacements during the last 8 years since I am at a fairly high electric level. I thank God that I have had DBS, it has been life giving for me!! DBS won't be effective or approved but if you have had PD for 3-8 years you should look into it.

May 20, 2017 (Started Jan 15, 2016)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: I am sure most people that are contemplating DBS have seen "YouTube" videos on the subject. I watched part of one today and it was totally different than what I experienced as far as the actually surgery was concerned. However, the outcome was just as amazing. Like I have said before, it is not a cure, but it has improved my quality of life tremendously and also helped with the ole pocketbook due to a major decrease in meds.

Showing 3 of 29 patient evaluations for Deep Brain Stimulation