Do not use this medication if you are allergic to chili peppers, or if you have ever had an allergic reaction to capsaicin topical.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist about using capsaicin topical if you have any allergies or serious medical conditions. Do not use this medication on anyone younger than 18 years old without the advice of a doctor.
Capsaicin can cause a burning sensation, which is usually mild and should lessen over time with continued use. If the burning sensation causes significant discomfort, wash the treated skin area with soap and cool water. Stop using the medication and call your doctor if you have severe burning or redness where the medicine was applied.
Avoid getting capsaicin topical in your mouth or eyes or near your nose.
Do not apply to open wounds or irritated skin, and avoid getting the medicine on contact lenses, dentures, and other items that come into contact with sensitive areas of your body.
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine, or if anyone has accidentally swallowed it. Accidental swallowing of capsaicin can cause problems with swallowing or breathing.
It may take up to 2 weeks of using this medicine regularly before your symptoms improve. For best results, keep using the medication as directed.
Call your doctor if your pain does not improve after using this medication for 7 days, or if your symptoms get worse or get better and then come back in a few days.