What is Acupuncture?

Category: Procedures

false

See also: Moxibustion Heat Therapy

Acupuncture is a technique of inserting and manipulating needles into specific points on the body. These lie on 'chi meriridans', lines of energy flowing through the body from specific organs. Acupuncture aims to disrupt blockages of chi energy that accumulate in these points to improve health.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

• Can't tell

Side effects

side_effects of Acupuncture"

210

Commonly reported side effects, conditions, and hospitalizations associated with Acupuncture

Fatigue 9

FM:11y Dx
I am: n
Fibromyalgia

See Chelena's full Acupuncture history

Oct 15, 2014 (Started Jun 14, 1990)

• Perceived effectiveness for Chronic pain: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Pain in lower back: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Support mental / emotional health: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for General health: Moderate
Dosage: Monthly
Advice & Tips: I decided to try a few courses of acupuncture this summer for pain leftover from my surgery last December 2103 and also pain leftover from effects of walking bone on bone for so long before surgery that my right shoulder, elbow, wrist and both knees were very compromised. (I had a left hip surgery but had used a cane as a crutch for too long. ) The acupuncture helped relieve some of the pain and also numbness and nerve pain left over from the surgery. Best of all, a positive and unexpected side effect was that my breathing became less tight. I have been doing yoga since Feb.2014 to regain balance, strength, and flexibility but it became clear that my chest was way too tight which affected my ability to breathe deeply and freely. I still have a ways to go but it's not as bad as it was before.

Jan 31, 2005 (Started Jun 14, 1990)

• Perceived effectiveness for Treat my mood condition(s): None
  • Perceived effectiveness for General health: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Migraine headaches: None
  • Burden: Somewhat
Advice & Tips: In general acupuncture for general health is a wonderful medicine. I have had some acupuncture treatments by certain practioners that really helped me with certain specific problems like menses related migraines but not for general migraines or depression or PTSD. I did a long course of treatment for six months in 2004 in hopes that it would help curb my depression. The treatments always made me feel relaxed and good for a few hours most of the time. But sometimes I got triggered in the sessions and would actually just cry and cry and cry through an entire session and end up really worse. So after a while I decided I needed to just concentrate on therapy and perhaps return to acupuncture one day when I have healed more and am less prone to triggers.

holmesa
Legs: mild
I am: b
Parkinson's

See holmesa's full Acupuncture history

Jun 30, 2014 (Started Jul 09, 2002)

Dosage: 1 hr Monthly
Advice & Tips: After my fall in 2013 I found the pain-relief from the treatments excellent. Since my NHS physio referral didn't come until 6 months after the fall this was a life-saver.

Feb 26, 2013 (Started Jul 09, 2002)

• Perceived effectiveness for Parkinson's Disease: Moderate
Dosage: 1 hr Monthly
Advice & Tips: I feel less pain, less stiffness & tremor & i am re-energised for a week-14 days after treatment

Sep 23, 2012 (Started Jul 09, 2002)

Dosage: 1 hr Monthly
Advice & Tips: I come from sessions energised & refreshed which lasts for days, wearing off gradually until the next treatment. If I could afford it I'd have it weekly but apart from the fee it is about 30 mins drive.

Dec 10, 2011 (Started Jul 09, 2002)

Dosage: 1 hr Monthly

Nov 22, 2011 (Started Jul 09, 2002)

Dosage: 1 hr Monthly
Advice & Tips: I have been attending mothly sessions since diagnosis (7 years). It is wonderful & gives me serenity, energy, balance & confidence. It is expensive & I have to travel 8 miles.

Sep 28, 2011 (Started Jul 09, 2002)

Dosage: 1 hr Monthly
Advice & Tips: This treatment is expensive in terms of time (45min round trip + 1hr treatment) & money BUT it is so worth the cost! I rarely have needling now, tuning forks on those points instead & I recently started trialling sound therapy from the same practitioner. So energising - I feel literally on top of the world!!

Aug 15, 2011 (Started Jul 09, 2002)

Advice & Tips: The energising & motivational effects are wonderful

Jan 16, 2010 (Started Jul 09, 2002)

Dosage: 1 hr Monthly
Advice & Tips: TRY TO FIND QUALIFIED DOCTOR WHO HAS CHOSEN TO DIVERSIFY INTO ACUPUNCTURE. TRY TO RESEARCH DIFFERENT TYPES OF ACUPUNCTURE: MINE IS '5 ELEMENTS' . THIS INVOLVES WORK ON BOTH SIDES OF THE TORSO LEVELLING/BALANCING THE INNER PERSON. Doc MARTIN SOMETIMES USES TUNING FORKS INSTEAD OF NEEDLES WHICH IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT BALLGAME!

Aug 1, 2009 (Started Jul 09, 2002)

Dosage: 1 hr Monthly
Advice & Tips: THIS NOT TRADITIONAL CHINESE ACUPUNCTURE: IT IS 5 ELEMENTS ACUPUNCTURE; ALL THE PRACTITIONERS IN MY CLINIC ARE QUALIFIED (MEDICAL) DOCTORS; IT DOESN'T WORK FOR EVERYONE

RainHunter
  • Physical: None
I am: n
Scoliosis

See RainHunter's full Acupuncture history

Mar 1, 2013 (Started Jul 27, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Pain: Moderate
  • Adherence: Sometimes
  • Burden: Somewhat
Advice & Tips: My first session was traditional acupuncture, and I was completely pain-free for 3 whole days. It was the best I've ever felt in my life, but then the expense and my work schedule prevented me from going back. Eventually I was able to book a session with another chiropractor, one who used Electronic Stimulation (vibrating needles). After that session, I felt worse than when I went in. My advice would be to choose a chiropractor carefully, choose one that believes in the healing power of acupuncture rather than one who practices Western medicine and tries to throw technology at every problem.

Showing 3 of 37 patient evaluations for Acupuncture