What is Psychologist?

Category: Psychotherapy

false

Clinical psychologists work most often in counseling centers, independent or group practices, hospitals, or clinics with clients who seeking therapy for mental health issues.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

Severe 2
Moderate 4
Mild 14
None 150

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Psychologist

Side effect Patients
Mental confusion 1
Sadness 1

Show all 8 reported side effects

Dosages

Based on patients currently going to Psychologist

Dosage Patients
55 min monthly 1
60 min monthly 1
100 min monthly 1

Why patients stopped taking Psychologist

Multiple reasons could be selected

Reason Patients

$25-49 7
< $25 30
Not specified 87

11 patient evaluations for Psychologist

Aug 1, 2014 (Started Aug 01, 2012)

Slight (for persistent worrying)
    Can't tell (for problems concentrating)
    Can't tell (for anxious mood)
    Can't tell (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (guilt about what should be accomplished)
Dosage: 50 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: The particular therapist/therapy I do not think was helpful to me. I never felt like I was making much progress on my core issues and anxieties. I initially came to this therapist for help with my performance anxiety and depression around writing and creating; I couldn't complete or focus on my school work that required any writing without suffering and panic. I also experienced this with painting and other work, but especially writing. We spent about 2-3 months doing a full diagnosis, and we did not find anything new. I did not like the treatment method she used, but I was drawn to her because of her knowledge of holistic treatments, and that she understood my sensitivity to anti-depressants and other medications. and I don't think I felt comfortable with her to tell her what was actually going on. Once in awhile when I would really open up and get into a deeper understanding of myself, it would be ignored and she would hyper focus on whatever issues or task of the week. Everything we did was too compartmentalized, and that stressed me out more. I feel like a lot of time was wasted talking about things I did not want to talk about. I often left feeling worse because I didn't complete the goals we would have set for the previous week, yet still filled with so many thoughts and issues I wanted to talk about it my head. Everything that we talked about was just very superficial, and almost too cold/clinical. "Did you complete this, did the fighting with your dad decrease, how is the depression from 1-10" She also does not know much/or anything besides what she read in the DSM about Borderline Personality Disorder (or that's what it seemed maybe I am harshly judging), so I am now going to seek someone with a different approach, and knowledge of my main disorder. She was very helpful in helping me apply to programs and find hospitals when I needed to, giving me a discounted co-payment, and other accommodations, but I just could not connect with her advice. I felt like I was scattered in my treatment too often which lead me to feeling more incompetent than I already do on a daily basis. We would talk about trying new things like hypnosis, art therapy and other different methods with her but we would never get around to them, its like she would forget our next meeting. (which made me feel terrible because that is a huge trigger for me to start things and never finish them, or say you are going to do something and never do them.) I don't know how much of anything is my therapists fault, and I appreciate everything she has done for me, but I think it is time to seek a different treatment. She would talk a lot about how she helped her other patients using different methods, but I never felt like she was helping me. Tip: If you do not feel open/comfortable with your therapist do not feel pressure to continue with them. I was waiting things out for a long time, but I did not accept it was not working.

Nov 17, 2013 (Started Aug 01, 2012)

Slight (for persistent worrying)
    Slight (for problems concentrating)
    Slight (for anxious mood)
    Slight (for major depressive disorder)
Dosage: 100 min Monthly

Feb 25, 2013 (Started Aug 30, 2010)

Slight (for borderline personality disorder)
    Slight (for major depressive disorder)
    Slight (for Support mental / emotional health)
Dosage: 120 min Monthly

Dec 17, 2012 (Started Aug 30, 2010)

Slight (for borderline personality disorder)
    Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
    Moderate (for Support mental / emotional health)
Dosage: 120 min Monthly

Jun 22, 2012 (Started Aug 03, 2011)

Major (for persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia))
    Major (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (PTSD triggers)
Dosage: 60 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: There are weeks that I have such a hard time going. I know I need to work through my issues, I KNOW my moods deteriorate horribly when I stop going, but some sessions are so painful and I feel like all I do is cry and feel even worse when I go home. Of course, after a few days of processing everything from the session, I usually see things in a better light, but it's like ripping off a huge bandaid on a very hairy arm, it just hurts that much in the moment. This is something that we actively monitor (my Psychologist and I) because the 'stopping going' is a known pattern of mine.

Showing 3 of 11 patient evaluations for Psychologist