What is Moclobemide?

Category: Prescription Drugs

Most popular types: Aurorix

false

Moclobemide is an antidepressant (monoamine oxidase inhibitor) used for the symptomatic relief of depressive illness.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

Severe 4
Moderate 6
Mild 2
None 5

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Moclobemide

Side effect Patients
Extreme sedation 1
Headaches 1

Show all 19 reported side effects

Dosages

Based on patients currently taking Moclobemide

Dosage Patients
300 mg twice daily 1

Why patients stopped taking Moclobemide

Multiple reasons could be selected

Reason Patients

$50-99 0
$25-49 2
< $25 5
Not specified 9

What people switch to and from

Patients started taking Moclobemide after stopping:

Treatment Patients
Bupropion (Wellbutrin XL) 1
Clonazepam (Klonopin) 1
Quetiapine (Seroquel) 1
Sertraline (Zoloft) 1
Venlafaxine (Effexor XR) 1

Patients stopped taking Moclobemide and switched to:

Treatment Patients
Bupropion (Wellbutrin XL) 1
Escitalopram (Lexapro) 1
Tranylcypromine (Parnate) 1

2 patient evaluations for Moclobemide

Jun 16, 2018 (Started Nov 26, 2015)

Can't tell (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fatigue, loss of interest in food, increased need for sleep)
Dosage: 150 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: Started withdrawal from this June 3 my reasons are that I have until this time not had remission from depression and it is frankly getting to the point that if this is as good as it gets then my quality of life is not good enough. So before I go there I do wish to follow my natural striving for something better. big goal to be able to work again, smaller goals remove fatigue and regain emotions and the feeling that there is more to life than surviving. My path to making this decision is caused by a decrease in depression to 10 % some days and that was bitter sweet, pain of depression released but fatigue and anxiety still high. Decrease depression increases my anxiety. So I had my annual physical and no reason for fatigue so advised to check in with Pdoc. he would only increase my cytomel and said I am at the end of the road for antidepressants. Snri and such did not work and will not work. he advised me to do cardio 3 times a week. This was after I had told him I just completed a 6 week exercise program and it did not help ( physical improved but fatigue increased) and depressed mood did not change. the effect of the cytomel increase is that after a few weeks I could shower and go out of the house the same day. SO after I got my courage back I went back to my family dr and said as there is nothing else to try ( and if I could do cardio I would) the the best thing for my peace of mind and to feel in control of my life again was to test a wd of ad. Dr was not happy as framed it as if there is nothing else ( do therapy etc ) life is not worth living if only surviving. But willing to try wd of ad to see if the fatigue and lack of life is from the ad or the depression. got approval with conditions of letting my friends and family know to let me know if they notice a difference. and to continue with therapy as well as seeing my dr after 4 weeks. within a few days of getting that permission and consulting with pharmacy I started a slow taper of 10% ish every 4 to 6 weeks. so within the first week i noticed I am sleeping deeper and getting closer to my old restorative sleep! AD's do mess with sleep and I seem to be sensitive and it is the best sleep since 2008! obviously could be a placebo effect but I will take it so I have optional seroquel for a sleep aid and optional klonopin to manage anxiety and it gives me energy to get through the day. my triggering depression was a storm of divorce, cancer , death of horse (my error) and a few other things on top of burnout from overwork as my coping skill before depression was just to work harder. I am leaning better coping skills and my reserve of energy is up to 1-2 hours a day. so the kittens take another 1 to 2 hours so having doubled my activity trying to keep in my reserve so not using the Klonopin very often. once in over two weeks.

Apr 25, 2016 (Started Nov 26, 2015)

Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
Dosage: 300 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: The main benefit was breaking through a depression barrier and regaining some normal energy. however it has been stalled and at this point my energy is dropping again yet not my ability to feel pleasure. This is a reversible MAOI, many drug fact sheets say you can not eat foods with tryamine ( aged, fermented foods ) but that applies to non reversible MAOI's. Also with caution I can use antihistamine and decongestants.  I learned the generic off the top of information seems to be based on better safe than sorry rather than science and personal situations. I have access to a clinical pharmacist at my physician's office and here I get the latest up to date and practical advise on medications.

Apr 20, 2012 (Started Mar 29, 2012)

Slight (for major depressive disorder)
    None (for depression with anxiety)
  • Side effects
    Severe (anxiety and frustration, panic about future, panic attacks)
Advice & Tips: I had to stop taking this, because the med caused me to have increased anxiety, panic attacks and nightly wakings with unbearable anxiety. My consumption of benzodiazepimes increased immensely during the treatment.

Showing 2 of 2 patient evaluations for Moclobemide