Do not take pimozide with any of the following medicines:
- antibiotics including azithromycin (Zithromax), clarithromycin (Biaxin), erythromycin (Ery-Tab, E.E.S., E-Mycin, Eryc, PCE, and others), dirithromycin (Dynabac), and troleandomycin (TAO);
- antifungal medicines including itraconazole (Sporanox) and ketoconazole (Nizoral);
- protease inhibitors including amprenavir (Agenerase), ritonavir (Norvir), saquinavir (Fortovase, Invirase), indinavir (Crixivan), and nelfinavir (Viracept);
- phenothiazines including chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), thioridazine (Mellaril), mesoridazine (Serentil), and trifluoperazine (Stelazine);
- tricyclic antidepressants including amoxapine (Asendin), amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep), clomipramine (Anafranil), doxepin (Sinequan), desipramine (Norpramin), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Pamelor), protriptyline (Vivactil), and trimipramine (Surmontil);
- medicines for irregular heartbeats, including quinidine (Cardioquin, Quinora, Quinaglute, Quinidex), procainamide (Pronestyl, Procan SR), disopyramide (Norpace), propafenone (Rythmol), flecainide (Tambocor), amiodarone (Cordarone), and sotalol (Betapace);
- nefazodone (Serzone);
- zileuton (Zyflo); or
- sertraline (Zoloft).
A dangerous interaction, possibly resulting in irregular heartbeats and/or death may occur if pimozide is taken with any of the medicines listed above.
Do not consume grapefruit or grapefruit juice during treatment with pimozide. Pimozide can interact with grapefruit products, and the interaction may have dangerous effects.
Call your doctor immediately if you experience uncontrollable movements of the mouth, tongue, cheeks, jaw, arms, or legs; fever; muscle rigidity; sweating; irregular pulse; or fast or irregular heartbeats.
Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Pimozide may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while taking pimozide.
Avoid becoming overheated in hot weather and during exercise. Pimozide increases the risk of heat stroke. Drink plenty of fluids to maintain hydration.