What is Paliperidone?

Category: Prescription Drugs

Most popular types: Invega Invega Sustenna Xeplion

false

Paliperidone is an atypical antipsychotic agent used in the treatment of schizophrenia. It may also be used for psychosis and agitation related to Alzheimer's dementia.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

Severe 13
Moderate 22
Mild 14
None 13

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Paliperidone

Side effect Patients
Dizziness and feeling faint 2
hyperprolactinemia 2

Show all 52 reported side effects

Dosages

Based on patients currently taking Paliperidone

Dosage Patients
117 mg monthly 1
150 mg monthly 1
3 mg twice daily 1

Why patients stopped taking Paliperidone

Multiple reasons could be selected

Reason Patients

$50-99 2
$25-49 2
< $25 33
Not specified 22

What people switch to and from

Patients started taking Paliperidone after stopping:

Treatment Patients
Risperidone (Risperdal) 7
Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4
Haloperidol (Haldol) 4
Quetiapine (Seroquel) 4
Lithium Carbonate (Lithium Carbonate ER) 3

Show all 14 treatments patients report switching from

Patients stopped taking Paliperidone and switched to:

Treatment Patients
Lurasidone (Latuda) 5
Aripiprazole (Abilify) 2
Brexpiprazole (Rexulti) 2
Paliperidone (Invega) 2
asenapine (Saphris) 1

Show all 8 treatments patients report switching to

6 patient evaluations for Paliperidone

Aug 10, 2017 (Started Apr 21, 2017)

Major (for schizoaffective disorder)
    Moderate (for Wishing for death)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Low Testosterone, Prolactin increased)
Advice & Tips: I want to switch from Invega to Rexulti, because I wanted to see if my Prolactin level would improve. My Psychiatrist prescribed a way of doing that. As I was in the process of decreasing the Invega, my old problems of not sleeping came back. So I am going back on the Invega. Before I was on Invega, I would experiencing periods of torment, then after taking Invega they stopped, but then after about two and a half months they started again. It was like if a BLACK HOLE was sucking my mind DRY, LIQUID ACID to my sou, HELL, my mind would collapses, and I was unable to function as usual. These periods would last only a few minutes or can last up to as long as several hours and happen quite regularly and had been going on for about the last 40 years, until I started Invega. Also I was wishing for death pretty BAD before taking Invega, but now I don't and these periods of torment have ended and I don't wish for death so BAD. When not on any antipsychotic medications, including Invega, I feel like; others could hear my thoughts (broadcasting), that I could hear other people thoughts (mind reading), that I could communicate by thought with others without speaking a word (telepathic communication), not only could I communicate with other people in this way but I could communicate with other things as if they had human like qualities (anthropomorphic telepathic communication), believing that I am super important to the world (grandiose thinking), that others were out to kill me (paranoia), and I would become very delusional. But, now after taking the antipsychotic medications for some time, not only do I not believe in these things (powers) were never true for me, I also believe that no one else has these powers. Maybe some people may have others out to kill them, but this is not true for me. Also, for over 35 years (1977 - 2013) I believed that God would talk to me personally and would give me personal instructions, but now, I don't believe this is/was probably ever true. Now, I believe God gave me a brain/mind so that I could figure out how to love other, which is what He wants me to do. Relief of the psychotic symptoms comes with a price, the side effects of those antipsychotic medications. The antipsychotic medications of today, work better with less side effects. than those in 1977 when I started taking them. I have no sex drives (libido), an involuntary movements of the tongue and lips (tardive dyskinesia), and an internal restlessness (akathisia), which I had before starting Invega, so I can’t blame Invega for them.

Jul 12, 2017 (Started Apr 21, 2017)

Major (for schizoaffective disorder)
    Moderate (for Wishing for death)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Low Testosterone, Prolactin increased)
Advice & Tips: I was experiencing periods of torment before taking Invega, then after taking Invega they stopped, but after about 2 months they started again. It was like if a BLACK HOLE was sucking my mind DRY, LIQUID ACID to my sou, HELL, my mind would collapses, and I was unable to function as usual. These periods would last only a few minutes or can last up to as long as several hours and happen quite regularly and had been going on for about the last 40 years, until I started Invega. Also I was wishing for death pretty BAD before taking Invega, but now I don't and these periods of torment have ended. When not on any antipsychotic medications, including Invega, I feel like; others could hear my thoughts (broadcasting), that I could hear other people thoughts (mind reading), that I could communicate by thought with others without speaking a word (telepathic communication), not only could I communicate with other people in this way but I could communicate with other things as if they had human like qualities (anthropomorphic telepathic communication), believing that I am super important to the world (grandiose thinking), that others were out to kill me (paranoia), and I would become very delusional. But, now after taking the antipsychotic medications for some time, not only do I not believe in these things (powers) were never true for me, I also believe that no one else has these powers. Maybe some people may have others out to kill them, but this is not true for me. Also, for over 35 years (1977 - 2013) I believed that God would talk to me personally and would give me personal instructions, but now, I don't believe this is/was probably ever true. Now, I believe God gave me a brain/mind so that I could figure out how to love other, which is what He wants me to do. Relief of the psychotic symptoms comes with a price, the side effects of those antipsychotic medications. The antipsychotic medications of today, work better with less side effects. than those in 1977 when I started taking them. I have no sex drives (libido), an involuntary movements of the tongue and lips (tardive dyskinesia), and an internal restlessness (akathisia), which I had before starting Invega, so I can’t blame Invega for them.

May 29, 2017 (Started Apr 21, 2017)

Major (for Wishing for death)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I was experiencing periods of torment. It was like if a BLACK HOLE was sucking my mind DRY, LIQUID ACID to my sou, HELL, my mind would collapses, and I was unable to function as usual. These periods would last only a few minutes or can last up to as long as several hours and happen quite regularly and had been going on for about the last 40 years, until I started Invega. Also I was wishing for death pretty BAD before taking Invega, but now I don't and these periods of torment have ended. When not on any antipsychotic medications, including Invega, I feel like; others could hear my thoughts (broadcasting), that I could hear other people thoughts (mind reading), that I could communicate by thought with others without speaking a word (telepathic communication), not only could I communicate with other people in this way but I could communicate with other things as if they had human like qualities (anthropomorphic telepathic communication), believing that I am super important to the world (grandiose thinking), that others were out to kill me (paranoia), and I would become very delusional. But, now after taking the antipsychotic medications for some time, not only do I not believe in these things (powers) were never true for me, I also believe that no one else has these powers. Maybe some people may have others out to kill them, but this is not true for me. Also, for over 35 years (1977 - 2013) I believed that God would talk to me personally and would give me personal instructions, but now, I don't believe this is/was probably ever true. Now, I believe God gave me a brain/mind so that I could figure out how to love other, which is what He wants me to do. Relief of the psychotic symptoms comes with a price, the side effects of those antipsychotic medications. The antipsychotic medications of today, work better with less side effects. than those in 1977 when I started taking them. I have no sex drives (libido), an involuntary movements of the tongue and lips (tardive dyskinesia), and an internal restlessness (akathisia), which I had before starting Invega, so I can’t blame Invega for them.

May 17, 2017 (Started Apr 21, 2017)

Major (for Wishing for death)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I was wishing for death pretty BAD before taking Invega, but now I don't. When not on any antipsychotic medications, I feel like; others could hear my thoughts (broadcasting), that I could hear other people thoughts (mind reading), that I could communicate by thought with others without speaking a word (telepathic communication), not only could I communicate with other people in this way but I could communicate with other things as if they had human like qualities (anthropomorphic telepathic communication), believing that I am super important to the world (grandiose thinking), that others were out to kill me (paranoia), and I would become very delusional. But, now after taking the antipsychotic medications for some time, not only do I not believe in these things (powers) were never true for me, I also believe that no one else has these powers. Maybe some people may have others out to kill them, but this is not true for me. Also, for over 35 years (1977 - 2013) I believed that God would talk to me personally and would give me personal instructions, but now, I don't believe this is/was probably ever true. Now, I believe God gave me a brain/mind so that I could figure out how to love other, which is what He wants me to do. Relief of the psychotic symptoms comes with a price, the side effects of those antipsychotic medications. The antipsychotic medications of today, work better with less side effects. than those in 1977 when I started taking them. I have no sex drives (libido), an involuntary movements of the tongue and lips (tardive dyskinesia), and an internal restlessness (akathisia), which I had before starting Invega, so I can’t blame Invega for them.

Apr 24, 2017 (Started Sep 05, 2016)

Can’t tell (for borderline personality disorder)
Dosage: 100 mg Monthly

Jul 18, 2016 (Started Jun 30, 2016)

Slight (for Self injury or harm)
    Slight (for Dissociation)
    Slight (for Depersonalization-derealization)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Drowsiness)

Jul 5, 2016 (Started Jun 30, 2016)

Slight (for Self injury or harm)
    Moderate (for Dissociation)
    Moderate (for Depersonalization-derealization)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Drowsiness)

Showing 3 of 6 patient evaluations for Paliperidone