What is Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) Adjustment?

Category: Procedures

false

Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) is an adjunctive treatment for certain types of intractable epilepsy and major depression. VNS uses an implanted stimulator that sends electric impulses to the left vagus nerve in the neck. The amount of stimulation may require adjustment depending on patient response.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

Severe 0
Moderate 3
Mild 5
None 0

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) Adjustment

Side effect Patients

$25-49 2
< $25 1
Not specified 5

1 patient evaluation for Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) Adjustment

Jan 9, 2013 (Started Jan 09, 2012)

Major (for epileptic tendencies)
    Major (for seizures)
  • Side effects
    Mild (toothache, throat tightness, breathing difficulty, dry cough, voice changes, nerve pain in neck)
Dosage: Every 6 Weeks
Advice & Tips: The side effects I listed above I only experience whenever the VNS device actually goes off, like right now I can feel the electrical pulse going up my throat, through my teeth on the left side of my mouth which doesn't feel good, and if I were talking, it would sound like I suddenly went "horse" as if I had been screaming my head off all night long at a football game. When the pulse stops, like it just did, my voice returns and I can breathe normally. I wake in the morning with a sore throat that goes away quickly. I often cough when it goes off and since it feels or does cut off my throat, I have to be careful when eating or drinking so I don't choke. It can be embarrassing but after about a year, I got used to it and figured out what to do. I'm better now. The thing to remember is you'll need time and patience before you'll start to see and notice the changes you want. It's been 18 months and I'm only now hoping that I'm finally on a good roll.

Showing 1 of 1 patient evaluation for Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) Adjustment