What is Sodium chlorite?

Category: Nutrition/Diets

false

Sodium chlorite, a precursor to chlorine dioxide, is a chemical compound used for water disinfection and purification.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

Severe 5
Moderate 10
Mild 82
None 52

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Sodium chlorite

Side effect Patients
Nausea 3
Abdominal cramps 2

Show all 24 reported side effects

Dosages

Based on patients currently using Sodium chlorite

Dosage Patients
1,000 mg monthly 1
100 mg daily 1

Why patients stopped taking Sodium chlorite

Multiple reasons could be selected

Reason Patients

$25-49 33
< $25 56
Not specified 25

8 patient evaluations for Sodium chlorite

Jan 7, 2012 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Slight (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I just completed Round 7 with concentration again at 1.0 mg/kg. It seemed that the positive effects of the chlorite were not as evident as they were in previous rounds. I tried to consume most of the OSC in the afternoons on an empty stomach this time to improve the absorption into the blood stream. This was certainly more effective than consuming on a full stomach (noticed by the increase in side effects as compared to Round 6), but I didn't feel that the improvements were as noticeable as they were in Rounds 1-5. Not to say that the ALS progression had worsened, but I just had not noticed any real improvements this time. As far as negative side effects go, I seemed to have a little more trouble in the bowels this round. Constipation for 3 days, two separate times was experienced. This was very uncomfortable, so much so that I stopped one day short drinking the OSC. The plan moving forward is to continue with Round 8, maybe this time increasing the concentration back to 1.2 mg/kg again to see if gains can be experienced. Even with no noticeable gains, the fact that OSC seems to be slowing ALS progression makes this a viable treatment option and one I plan to continue.

Dec 18, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Slight (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I just finished round 6 of OSC and changed a few things around this time. The first thing was to double the concentration of chlorite per gallon so I would only have to drink ½ L per day. This made it a little easier since a Liter of liquid is a little bit hard to drink sometimes. I also reduced the chlorite concentration per day back down to 1.0 mg/kg. This helped to lessen some of the negative side effects, namely fatigue. Another thing different this time around was that I tried to consume the chlorite in the evening after dinner instead of in the afternoon on an empty stomach. I did this so that the mental fatigue caused by the chlorite could be used as a positive before bedtime. Doing this, I noticed that the negative side effects were much more tolerable, but I don't think that the efficacy of the chlorite was as pronounced as it had been before. I noticed only very subtle gains this time. It seems that drinking the chlorite solution on an empty stomach is certainly a better way to get the OSC into the blood stream. Maybe drinking very late at night, with an early supper might work better?

Nov 30, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: Well, I just finished Round 5 of the chlorite experiment (7 days on) this past weekend, and I think I have found my maximum concentration limit at 1.2 mg/kg. At this concentration level, the side effects experienced were very significant. Mental fatigue was the worst of the side effects. About 15 minutes after starting consumption of the chlorite solution (on an empty stomach), I started to feel the effects coming on. About an hour later, it was hard to keep my eyes open as I found myself falling asleep each day. After waking, I felt very unmotivated with kind of a foggy feeling in my head. Other side effects included slight nausea and diarrhea. Also noted, was a little bit of respiratory distress. It was a feeling that is hard to describe as there wasn't any build up of mucous or anything in my lungs, but it seemed like I was having a little bit of difficulty breathing though my diaphragm strength seemed to improve. On the positive side, I felt great the day after stopping OSC and continue to feel good a few days later. As mentioned above, I think my diaphragm strength is still improving, as well as improvements to right arm and hand. Legs though are still getting weaker. During this latest "off period", I've added a probiotic blend to my list of supplements to help aid with gut flora repopulation after OSC. For Round 6, I think I will back off the concentration to 1.0 mg/kg as the side effects seem to be more tolerable there.

Nov 18, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I'm just ready too begin round 5 and plan to continue until the good Lord takes me (a long time from now I hope!). I began round 1 with 0.5mg/kg and have steadily increased OSC concentration each round to the 1.2mg/kg level needed for round 5. I've noticed definite improvements in diaphragm strength with the ability to comfortably breath w/o bi-pap a few hours a day. In fact, my last FVC measure (taken a few months ago) was a bit HIGHER than previous. I expect the next FVC to be higher still. Increased strength in right hand/fingers has also been experienced with improved ability to drive my chair and use my mouse. The ability to chew and swallow has also noticeably improved with less choking and more pleasurable eating. Another nice thing is that I can make it all night without going p, really been nice for my wife to sleep the night. Negative side effects have all but subsided during the "on" period. Only the mental fatigue (not really physical) noticed by many still persists. With all the good news related to upper body improvements, I'm still experiencing degradation to lower extremities with decreases in leg strength noticed during transfers. I'm hoping that future rounds of higher concentration OSC might eventually slow/stop/reverse progression there as well. That along with a mouthful of vitamins and other dietary supplements such as taurine, amino acids, spurilina, probiotics, etc (a work in progress- http://www.als.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=49565) during the "off" period might just kill this beast. Always lots of water too, lots of water, lots...

Oct 19, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I am now 5 days into the rest period of round 3 and so far have not experienced any degradation in the ability to use/click my mouse with my right hand. Since this is my most significant improvement noticed from the experiment, this is great news for me. I think that the higher concentration of chlorite taken this time has improved the positive effect through the rest period. Next round I'm going to increase concentration even more (targeting 1ml/kg) since side effects seem to be less with each successive round. The plan in round 4 will also include removing all antioxidants (CoQ10, spirulina, Vit E, C, etc.) from the diet during the active 7 day period and then add them back during the next rest period, which will be shortened to 14 days. Also during the rest period, I hope to add some supplements to help rebuild nervous system cells. Supplements here would include an amino acid blend, omega3 with DHA, Vit D3, and a Vit B blend.

Oct 13, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I just started round 3 on Saturday with concentration upped to 6ml of 5% solution per gal of water (0.79mg/kg of chlorite). Still seeing only modest gains so far but still gains. Side effects (fatigue, insomnia) seem to be less this round. Blood-Ox levels remain high, typically @ 98-99% with my bipap on (my FVC has remained consistent throughout @ 25%). No respiratory congestion experienced to date. My diet is still high in anti-oxidants (CoQ10, spirulina, Vit E, C, etc.). In round 4 I'll take those out for the 7 'active' days of the experiment.

Sep 23, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I have now completed the second round of the oral sodium chlorite experiment and am happy to report that the subtle gains in my right hand/arm have been sustained. I am now again able to drive my chair and use my left mouse button again. Side effects seem more tolerable this time around. Fatigue is still the most prominent side effect.

Aug 27, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Slight (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I started this treatment on 8/20/2011. It is an attempt to orally replicate the amount of NaClO2 that is being administered intravenously through the NP001 trial. The plan is to take one Liter per day of a water-based NaClO2 solution for 7 days, then rest for 16 days, then repeat. The water-based solution is made up of 1 gallon of distilled water, 4 mL of a 5% NaClO2 solution, and 1 gram of non-iodized salt. After only one week of taking this solution, I feel that it has helped me regain some strength in my hands and legs. The gains so far have been subtle, but nonetheless, they are still gains. I am looking forward to the next week of drinking the solution, which will begin on 9/12/2011. I have experienced some side effects including mild headaches, fatigue, and watery stool. All of these are relatively minor and very manageable. I will report more during the next several months.

Nov 30, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Can't tell (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (muscle twitching (fasciculations) in arms, flatulence, fatigue, headaches, chills)
Dosage: 950 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Beginning of round 3. Pat is doing the lower concentration this time around. End of day 1 of 5. Slight headache after each dosage, but only for about 45 minutes. A little fatigued by the end of the day, but that could be normal tiredness!

Nov 18, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Can't tell (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (muscle twitching (fasciculations) in arms, flatulence, fatigue, headaches, chills)
Dosage: 45 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Reporting a stop as we will change dosage when Pat begins round 3 in 10-14 days.

Nov 17, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Dosage: 45 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Today Pat felt really bad but wanted to continue the course til the end. He had a lack of appetite for food and liquids today, but I tried to push both. He was pretty gassy today too. Another 3 hour nap today. He had the excessive drool after each dose today, but it cleared up after about 20 minutes and he had no problem with drool during the rest of the day. Major headache, major tummy queasiness and major nausea today. Pat describes it as having flu like symptoms. We saw no noticeable effects, either positive or negative as far as Pat's ALS.

Nov 16, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Dosage: 45 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: This morning Pat has some excessive drool after taking his dose. This is weird because Pat doesn't have a problem with drooling at all. After about 20 minutes, it stopped. Pat felt really yucky all day today. I asked if he wanted to stop early and he did not want to do that. He took a 3 hour nap today which is out of the norm for him, but he just feels bad and is very fatigued. No noticeable affect either positive or negative as far as his ALS symptoms.

Nov 15, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Can't tell (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (muscle twitching (fasciculations) in arms, flatulence, fatigue, headaches, chills)
Dosage: 45 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Still an overall achiness combined with a loss of appetite, queasy tummy, fatigue and the "thick" feeling that coats his mouth after each dosage. We haven't observed any effects due to his ALS either positive or negative.

Nov 14, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Dosage: 45 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Overall achiness today. Queasy stomach and no appetite. I'm still making Pat eat and try to make sure he drinks as much fluid as possible. Pat is reporting a "thick" feeling coating in his mouth immediately after taking the OSC. Fatigue today.

Nov 13, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Dosage: 45 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Pat is starting with the higher concentration of 17ml of 5% sodium chlorite mixed with 500ml of distilled water. He will be taking 3 TBS a day, divided into to doses. 1.5 TBS in the AM and 1.5 TBS in the PM. Today Pat had a slight headache all day. There were no observed effects as far as his ALS symptoms.

Nov 10, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Getting ready to begin round 2 in 3 days. This time around Pat will do the higher concentration mixture. We will mix 17ml of the 5% sodium chlorite in 500ml of distilled water. We'll see how he does! Pat still has the ability to rub his eye and rub the bridge of his nose. The muscle twitching in the upper arms has stopped.

Oct 28, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Dosage: 950 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Reporting stop until next course begins.

Oct 27, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Dosage: 950 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Nauseated all day. Still getting headaches right after dosage, but they go away about 45 minutes later. The chills also seem to last about an hour, but then go away. Today is our last dosage day. Pat will begin a 16 day rest starting tomorrow. Overall this first round of OSC has been positive, with mild side effects and a huge unexpected effect of Pat being able to lift his arms (with the two arm lift) to rub his eyes!!!

Oct 26, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Dosage: 950 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Nauseated all day, but the gassy feeling has passed (!) Tired today and took a nap in the afternoon...not typical for Pat. Observable (to the eye and to the touch) muscle twitching in upper arms. Pat hasn't had muscle twitching in his arms for at least 3 years. Pat was able to rub his left eye today with the two arm lift.

Oct 25, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (flatulence, headaches, chills)
Dosage: 950 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Pat has been nauseated all day and very gassy (!). But tonight, Pat was able to itch his forehead and rub his right eye. He was using his right hand and using the two arm lift technique but he was able to do it!!! We know he hasn't been able to rub his eye for over a year.

Oct 24, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Can't tell (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (headaches)
Dosage: 950 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Slight headache in the AM, none in the evening. No observed effects.

Oct 23, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Can't tell (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (headaches)
Dosage: 950 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Pat experienced a slight headache upon dosage intake, but it resolves itself in about 45 minutes.

Oct 22, 2011 (Started Oct 22, 2011)

Dosage: 950 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Pat just took his first "dose" of OSC. Will take another before bed. Because he wasn't able to start until 6:30pm tonight, he will only be taking 1/2 of the recommended amount tonight. (We mixed 6ml of SC into 1 gallon of distilled water, with 1 gram of kosher salt. He will be drinking 950ml a day for 5 days)

Nov 12, 2011 (Started Oct 20, 2011)

Dosage: 0.75 mg Daily

Oct 30, 2011 (Started Oct 20, 2011)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Interesting improvement at 5th day. Improved the mobility of the neck and mouvement of some fingers of the hands. It's not a placebo effect. Very interesting and encouraging.

Oct 26, 2011 (Started Oct 20, 2011)

Dosage: 0.75 mg Daily