What is Low fodmap diet?

Category: Nutrition/Diets

false

The ‘Low FODMAP’ diet restricts foods containing poorly absorbed sugars from the diet which are rapidly fermented by bacteria in the bowel drawing in fluid and produceing gas. This can cause a number of symptoms for those with a functional gut disorder, such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

Severe 1
Moderate 2
Mild 7
None 17

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Low fodmap diet

Side effect Patients
Dry skin 1
Frustration 1

Show all 9 reported side effects

Dosages

Based on patients currently using Low fodmap diet

Dosage Patients
daily 7
1 other daily 4
1other as needed 1

Why patients stopped taking Low fodmap diet

Multiple reasons could be selected

Reason Patients

$25-49 1
< $25 5
Not specified 18

1 patient evaluation for Low fodmap diet

May 6, 2017 (Started Feb 15, 2015)

Moderate (for irritable bowel syndrome)
    Moderate (for constipation)
    Moderate (for abdominal cramps)
    Moderate (for abdominal bloating)
  • Side effects
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: It took me quite a long time to adjust to following a strict, low-FODMAP diet. Making it a comfortable and workable part of my daily and weekly routine involved many challenges. For instance, whenever I wasn't sure whether a certain food or recipe ingredient was relatively low in FODMAPs (and, hence, safe for me to eat), I would have to look it up on the Internet. Luckily, it was easy to find one or more (usually more) lists that contain the foods I have tried to look up since I embarked on this diet. But if I wasn't sure, then I simply opted out of trying the food. Also, I occasionally found I had been eating a particular food for quite some time, thinking it was on the low-FODMAP list and therefore OK to eat, but when I happened to come across that food, perhaps months later, I discovered it was not on the low-FODMAP/safe-to-eat list, so I had to quit consuming it. Once this made for a rather disheartening experience, when I found out I could no longer drink coconut milk or use it in my recipes (at least not in the large quantities I had been). It was one of the few beverages left to me that I really enjoyed, so it was quite a sacrifice to give it up. I had already started making my own hemp milk, but some time after I stopped drinking coconut milk I realized I could make my hemp milk creamier, and thus a little more like the coconut milk I was already sorely missing, by adding one or two spoonfuls of peanut butter to every batch. I also used to use cashews, including making homemade cashew milk and cashew butter, until I found out that was unsuitable to consume on a low-FODMAP diet, too, so I switched to peanuts (and I use sunflower seeds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds as well, often making various blends of nut and seed butters). Another major challenge arose due to the tremendous amount of time I needed to spend preparing my foods and beverages on an essentially daily basis...not to mention packing what I needed to eat at work each day! Over time, I made periodic adjustments to my food-prep routine, and now it feels quite manageable in comparison to when I first started the diet. I think I should also note here that the experts of the low-FODMAP diet (like Kate Scarlata) have written that it only needs to be followed for a certain period of time (like a few weeks, I think) and then other foods can be reintroduced gradually. But I have found that whenever I have gone off-diet, that is, when I tried to reintroduce foods that were not on the low-FODMAP list, my symptoms returned with a vengeance. So I resigned myself to staying on the diet for life, because it has made me a much happier man to find the power to reduce my almost debilitating chronic gastrointestinal symptoms with "just a little" extra work in the kitchen. I compensate for the nutrients I may be missing by taking a wide variety of suitable nutritional supplements on a daily basis.

Showing 1 of 1 patient evaluation for Low fodmap diet