What is Bilateral Electroconvulsive Therapy ECT?

Category: Procedures

true

Generic name: Electroconvulsive Therapy ECT

Bilateral Electroconvulsive Therapy refers to the placement of electrodes on both sides of the head during the administration of electroconvulsive treatments (ECT). Bilateral is considered more effective and is used more commonly than unilateral and bifrontal placement.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

• None
  • Can't tell

Side effects

Severity Evaluations

Commonly reported side effects and conditions associated with Bilateral Electroconvulsive Therapy ECT

Side effect Patients

$25-49 0
< $25 10
Not specified 13

2 patient evaluations for Bilateral Electroconvulsive Therapy ECT

Sep 6, 2010 (Started May 25, 2010)

Major (for stop suicidal depression)
  • Side effects
    Mild (loss of short term memory, depressed mood)
Dosage: 1 other Monthly
Advice & Tips: I like the fact that I have no more suicidal thoughts, but I hate that fact that I have no personality and I still have depression. The last 2 times I've had it done, I end up in depression. I'm not happy about anything. I've taken more time off of work to work through the depression and find myself. I feel like a walking zombie. I'm starting to think that is how the psychiatrists would prefer you to be.
Side effects: loss of short term memory, depressed mood

Jan 20, 2006 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (mental confusion, loss of short term memory)
Dosage: 12 other 2 times a week
Advice & Tips: Sense of smell improved greatly, able to relax completely, mind seemed calm. Some euphoria. Deep restful sleep. Felt much younger again. No aches or pains in body. Able to move without much effort. Weight returned to healthy levels-food tasted good. I forgot almost everything about my life for the first few months, but then started to remember most of it back. A few years are hazy but I hadn't done much those years. Depression completely gone for 6 months, continued good effects for a year. For a few months I was very zoned out during treatment, slept a lot.
Side effects: mental confusion, loss of short term memory

Jan 20, 2003 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I didn't like the first few treatments. Got nasty headache and sick to my stomach. Also, confusion built up. I lost the ability to recall anything from memory. The memories were still there-but I couldn't get to them unless something or someone reminded me. There are much newer forms of this treatment which cause little to no memory loss-but they require very new machines which use very brief pulses of current and a skilled doctor (this is the difference between ECT working and not working). Might only report a few hours of temporary confusion which clears up. Anyone interested check out ultra brief pulse ECT. For depression and general well being, I've found nothing is better. My quality of life went through the ceiling. I only wish I had done it sooner. Just watch out for memory loss if going with traditional ECT. Write down things that you want to remember, who people are, what you did on what dates, meaning of photos-you should then recall whatever you forgot. Getting back the memory means having something to jog it. If memory loss is a big issue (it wasn't for me-I had nothing but depression to remember) stick with the newest forms of it. Don't worry about the naysayers. Also make doubly sure your insurance will actually pay for it.
Side effects: mental confusion, loss of short term memory