What is Physical Therapy?

Category: Physical Therapy

Most popular types: Home Physical Therapy Outpatient PT Balance and gait training Show all

false

See also: Rehabilitation Physical Therapy

Physical therapy (PT) is a component of rehabilitation to build strength, mobility and fitness. PT may be used short term after an injury or long term following traumatic injury or serious illness such as a stroke to regain as much independence and functioning as possible.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

daily 7
60 min monthly 6
270 min weekly 6

Why patients stopped taking Physical Therapy

Multiple reasons could be selected

Reason Patients

$25-49 44
< $25 256
Not specified 326

95 patient evaluations for Physical Therapy

Aug 1, 2017 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Moderate (for balance problems)
    Major (for Parkinson's disease)
    Major (for Improve mobility)
    Major (for freezing of gait)
Dosage: 15 min Daily
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. Since I had DBS, my balance is not as good as it was. SO i My routine consists of 5 things: Spins (for warmup I spin 1, 2, 3, 4 times; 4 sets of these); wobble board exercises (2 min on two feet, one min on each of left foot and right foot); standing heel toe with one foot in front of the other (1 min right foot in front, 1 min left foot in front), and walking on my heels (3 - 5 min)

Jun 25, 2014 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Major (for dystonia)
    Moderate (for freezing of gait)
Dosage: 30 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. I do this to reduce dystonia and to reduce freezing. My Home Physical Therapy consists of 5 things: 1. Balance exercises; 2. Walking with weights; 3. Walking on my heels; 4. Walking on my toes; 5. Walking backwards and sideways. Here were the descriptions of what I do: 1. Balance exercises A. Every other day, I swing a 10-lb dumbbell around my waist while standing on one leg -(2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg, one set of 60 sec on right leg). The other day I do the exercises on a wobble board. Most day I also attempt to stand on each leg for 60 sec with my eyes closed (I stand in a corner and put my hands out for balance.B. Spins I spin clockwise once, then counter-clockwise once; then I spin CW twice and CCW twice; then CW three times and CCW three times; then CW five times and CCW five times. I do A before the rest of my workout; I do B before and after. 2. Walking with weights A. I walk with 20-lb dumbbells for about 5 minutes before the rest of my workout. Most days I also walk with 10-lb dumbbells for 5 minutes before the rest of my workout. 3. Walking on my heels. I walk on my heels for five minutes after my workout. 4. Walking on my toes I walk on my toes for about five minutes every other day after the rest of my workout. 5. Walking backwards and sideways. Most weeks I will, a couple of times a week, walk backwards for twp or three minutes, walk sideways to the left for two minutes, and walk sideways to the right for two minutes. I do this after the rest of my workout.

Feb 10, 2014 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Major (for dystonia)
    Moderate (for freezing of gait)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. I do this to reduce dystonia and to reduce freezing. My Home Physical Therapy consists of 4 things: 1. Balance exercises; 2. Walking with weights; 3. Walking on my heels; 4. Walking on my toes: Here are the descriptions of what I do: 1. Balance exercises A. I swing a 10-lb dumbbell around my waist while standing on one leg -(2 sets of 30 sec each on right leg, 2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg). B. Standing on wobble board (2 sets of 30 sec each on right leg, 2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg). C. Spins I spin clockwise once, then counter-clockwise once; then I spin CW twice and CCW twice; then CW three times and CCW three times; then CW five times and CCW five times. I do A and B before the rest of my workout; I do C before and after. 2. Walking with weights A. I walk with 15-lb dumbbells for 2-3 minutes B. I walk backward with 5-lb dumbbells for 2-3 minutes I do A and B before the rest of my workout. 3. Walking on my heels A. I walk on my heels for one minute before the rest of my workout B. I walk on my heels for five minutes after I'm done 4. Walking on my toes I walk on my toes for about a minute before the rest of my workout

Sep 25, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Moderate (for dystonia)
  • Side effects
    Mild (uncomfortable)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I follow a specific program to reduce my dystonia. See http://home.earthlink.net/~strkl/ for it.

Dec 1, 2011 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Moderate (for dystonia)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (uncomfortable)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: My dystonia is worse in my left foot. It becomes pigeon-toed (pointing inward), and tends to twist so that I land on the outside of my foot when walking. In fact, I need to be careful that my ankle doesn't roll over (twisting my ankle). If I concentrate on landing more to the inside of my foot, and trying to keep my foot straight, I can continue to walk for a while. I've worked up to the point where I can walk for a mile or more this way. And I've found that I seem to have built up resistance to dystonia. I can exercise at higher intensity, or for a longer time, before getting dystonia. It used to be that once I went into dystonia, I would have to stop walking or running and finish my workout on an exercise bike or elliptical machine. And I would not be able to walk normally until I took my next dose and waited 30 to 60 minutes for it to take effect. (And it would be preferable to take my next dose immediately, or it would take two hours for me to come on then.) But now, even after pushing through the dystonia, once I shower and change, my dystonia is gone, and I can take my medication on my usual schedule. I do this as part of my regular exercise routine, not as Home Physical Therapy. I've just entered it this way because it seems to be the only way I can do so. I wrote about this in more detail at http://www.patientslikeme.com/forum/pd/topics/100055?post_id=1535080#post-1535080

Jan 4, 2017 (Started May 27, 2008)

Major (for weakness in legs)
    Major (for walking problems)
    Can’t tell (for osteoarthritis)
    Major (for multiple sclerosis)
    Major (for balance problems)
  • Side effects
    Mild (less free time)
Dosage: 270 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: This program MS-specific rehab program, Total Fitness & Rehab, is truly amazing. I know that I am functioning much better since I started treatment at TRF & it has been inspiring to see dramatic improvements in others. It is definitely a big time commitment, when I'm missing my free time, I just remind myself of all the benefits.

Sep 10, 2008 (Started May 27, 2008)

Moderate (for Improve mobility)
    Major (for walking problems)
Dosage: 60 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: It is important to see a physical therapist who has experience in treating neurologic disorders, not just acute orthopedic-related injuries.

Nov 24, 2016 (Started Oct 05, 2016)

Slight (for pain around ribs)
    Slight (for myofascial pain syndrome)
    Slight (for myalgia)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (temporary increased pain)
Dosage: 120 min Weekly