3 patient evaluations for Oxycodone taken for the purpose of 'breakthrough pain'

65 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Aug 21, 2016 (Started Sep 01, 2011)

Major (for pain)
    Major (for fibromyalgia)
    Moderate (for breakthrough pain)
  • Side effects
    Mild (constipation)
Advice & Tips: I have a varied history with Oxycodone. I took it for quite some time in combination with Ambien and it TOTALLY made me a walking vegetable! I forgot many important details and occasions because of it. My spouse developed a real hatred for the med and did not see why it was affecting me this way. He resorted to hiding the bottle from me and it took an active intervention by my daughter to restore my needed meds to me and get me off of Ambien. I now rarely take it as it causes continual constipation, but it is a good tool to have available when the pain becomes too great. I also moved out of my husband's residence which has decreased my need for Oxycodone and Alprazolam for my depression-anxiety related issues.

Feb 20, 2015 (Started Nov 27, 2013)

None (for migraine headaches)
    Major (for breakthrough pain)
    Major (for pain)
    Major (for fibromyalgia)
    Moderate (for arthritis pain)
    Moderate (for arthritis pain in spine)
    Moderate (for degenerative disc disease (lumbar))
    Slight (for bulging disc)
    Moderate (for bone spurs)
    Major (for pinched/compressed ulnar nerve)
    Moderate (for pinched/compressed nerve)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (aids falling asleep when pain prevents it)
Dosage: 5 mg Four times daily
Advice & Tips: Unexpected side effect: it sometimes helps me fall asleep easier. Correct dose is one 5 mg tablet every 6 hours, as needed or two 5 mg tablets every 12 hours, also PRN Impact on my life: when my pain levels are skyrocketing, it helps me be able to get out of my bed.

Sep 4, 2010 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Slight (for breakthrough pain)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (flatulence, constipation)
Advice & Tips: This dosage is becoming less and less effective as the pain in my hip worsens, which now regularly radiates down my leg from sciatica in my glutes (butt), as well as into my low back, triggering pain in my degenerating disks and bone spurs. Per Mt doc, I. Alspo now take my initial dose at 5mg more than my other doses (taken every 4 hours) to get the med in my system more quickly. And, since I'm taking it more often, day after day, the constipation is awful.
Side effects: flatulence, constipation

Showing 3 of 3 patient evaluations for Oxycodone