5 patient evaluations for Psychologist taken for the purpose of 'Support mental / emotional health'

23 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Feb 25, 2013 (Started Aug 30, 2010)

Slight (for borderline personality disorder)
    Slight (for major depressive disorder)
    Slight (for Support mental / emotional health)
Dosage: 120 min Monthly

Dec 17, 2012 (Started Aug 30, 2010)

Slight (for borderline personality disorder)
    Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
Dosage: 120 min Monthly

Jul 28, 2011 (Started May 07, 2009)

Dosage: 120 min Monthly

Nov 23, 2010 (Started Oct 01, 2006)

Major (for post-traumatic stress disorder)
    Major (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Major (for suicidal thoughts or urges)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Though the financial burden of paying for therapy out of pocket sometimes gets in my way of feeling like I should keep going or deserve to keep going... I discuss this with my therapist and we hash out the pros and cons until I am no longer in confusion as to whether I should go or not go. I did stop suddenly for a month last May, 2010 right after my son deployed for Afghanistan. At the time I didn't make the connection but later when I agreed to come in and just talk about what was going on with me. I would not agree to come in on at a regular time. At the end of each weekly session I would decide if I was coming back the next week and then we'd find a day and time if I was. When I finally realized that this odd behavior began when my son left I understood that this was somehow the only way I could feel like I had any power over my life. Still, it was a good experience and I am glad I had the courage to follow my intuition. I am now back to going at a regular time every week and feel I have grown enourmously in the last year. That being said... I also feel I have no desire to leave therapy though if I did I would have money to spend on my kids, and a nice vacation somewhere. I fantasize about traveling a lot but I also am really paranoid about going away also. There are other things that I know I still need to work on before I quit therapy but at least I feel like I am working with a great therapist and my trust in her has grown and thus I guess my trust in myself is growing... small steps do lead somewhere.

Jan 1, 2010 (Started Oct 01, 2006)

Major (for post-traumatic stress disorder)
    Major (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Major (for suicidal thoughts or urges)
Dosage: 100 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: Laura is the most effective therapist I have had to date. I am indebted to her strength, compassion, insight, and professionalism through these years. The reason I put the "side effects" as moderate is because we both work very hard in our sessions together and I am almost always very tired afterwards and even though I can usually do a few errands after (though not always) I always come home exhausted mentally and emotionally and have to sleep for a couple of hours. I feel this is actually healthy processing time for me. The reason I put the burden at "VERY" is because of the financial burden. Instead of being able to go on anything but simple road trips to see family or friends or go camping, we do not have the money to have other luxuries like people we know have. We've never owned a car newer than two to three years old, don't frequent coffee shops, can't afford to give our kids material things that they might have enjoyed. On the plus side, I think this has made my kids resiliant, compassionate young men and has kept our family appreciative of the simple things in life. Love may not be all you need but it's a big part of what makes our world go round.

Aug 21, 2008 (Started Oct 01, 2006)

Dosage: 100 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: Don't knock therapy because you haven't had success with it. For people with serious attachment issues, PTSD, major depression and even people who are bi-polar, I don't think there is a drug or other treatment that can do what psychotherapy can do.

Mar 16, 2010 (Started Jan 04, 2008)

Major (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Slight (for chronic pain)
    Major (for mood)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly

Apr 30, 2009 (Started Dec 03, 2007)

Showing 5 of 5 patient evaluations for Psychologist