13 patient evaluations for Amphetamine-Dextroamphetamine taken for the purpose of 'problems concentrating'

209 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jun 15, 2015 (Started Mar 15, 2015)

Major (for narcolepsy)
    Major (for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome)
  • Side effects
    Mild (jittery feeling)
Dosage: 2.5-2.5-2.5-2.5 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: Took first thing (early) morning. Unexpected Benefits: helped with my depression (cheered me up!), BUT...it also RAN MY BLOODPRESSURE, & HEART RATE UP!

Nov 12, 2014 (Started Apr 16, 2010)

Major (for problems concentrating)
    Major (for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (irritability, reduced pleasure in orgasm)

Sep 3, 2011 (Started Apr 16, 2010)

Moderate (for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (irritability, reduced pleasure in orgasm)

Oct 23, 2010 (Started Apr 16, 2010)

Moderate (for problems concentrating)
  • Side effects
    Mild (irritability, reduced pleasure in orgasm)
Advice & Tips: I occasionally (once every couple of weeks) take a 10mg at night if my regular dose has worn off or on a weekend day if I haven't taken my regular dose and it's late in the day. It seems much faster-acting than Adderall XR.

Jul 1, 2013 (Started Dec 06, 2004)

Moderate (for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (heat intolerance)

Feb 1, 2013 (Started Dec 06, 2004)

Moderate (for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder)
  • Side effects
    Severe (heat intolerance)
Advice & Tips: stay out of heat

Jul 24, 2012 (Started Jul 17, 2012)

Slight (for problems concentrating)
    Slight (for excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence))
  • Side effects
    Severe (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), excessive yawning, jittery feeling)

Jul 20, 2012 (Started Jul 17, 2012)

Slight (for problems concentrating)
    Slight (for excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), excessive yawning, jittery feeling)
Advice & Tips: Dose: 20mg short acting in a.m. and 10mg short acting at 3 p.m. The first day of new dose was about 75% better. Up all day; took bedtime meds at 1:00 a.m.; woke up at 3:30 and was up for the day at 4:00 a.m. Second day was about 50% better than before I started, but I was yawning all day and started getting tired around 5:30. I started falling asleep during a movie between 5-7 p.m. and continued to nod off/fall asleep while I was on the computer and doing crossward puzzles. This is the third day and I woke up tired. It's 12:30 p.m. and I'm having trouble with concentration and vision. I notice that my sense of tiredness sometimes corresponds with vision and concentration problems. Another dose at 3:00 p.m. Will see PCP on Monday to discuss dose and the Sleep Specialist on Tuesday.

Apr 15, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Major (for sleepiness)
    Major (for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder)
    Moderate (for depressed mood)
    Moderate (for problems concentrating)
  • Side effects
    Mild (dry mouth, loss of appetite, mood swings)

Apr 15, 2010 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Moderate (for depressed mood)
    Major (for fatigue)
  • Side effects

Apr 5, 2012 (Started Feb 14, 2012)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: lack of sleep, overwhelming life, too much to do and fatigue 24/7 made it difficult to get anything done. My son was diagnosed with ADD and was on it, and it worked great. So I went to my primary and said I want to try it, and even tho I dont have ADD, it has helped me get through my lists of things to do! Instead of " ok,call the doctor for appointment...look up this or that.....take your shot.." and never getting the doc appt made for example, its helped me focus on a task at a time.

Nov 12, 2011 (Started Oct 31, 2011)

Moderate (for problems concentrating)
    Moderate (for lack of motivation)
    Moderate (for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder)
    Moderate (for loss of focus)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (insomnia, loss of appetite, anxiety and frustration)
Advice & Tips: Do not drink coffee when you're on this medication. It will cause severe anxiety if even one little thing that's negative happens to you, especially if you are also neurotic. It seems to help my mood when I'm on it, but coming down from these stimulants can sometimes be depressing and lead to anxiety. It took me a little while to find good times to take the medication so it would last all day and not be too much or too little. If you take too much in one day, it will cause you to become anxious. I also found that it made me quite a perfectionist, so some projects are taking longer than they used to.

Oct 3, 2011 (Started Apr 16, 2010)

Moderate (for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight loss, irritability, decreased appetite, dry mouth, anxious mood, insomnia)
Side effects: decreased appetite, irritability, dry mouth, weight loss, insomnia, anxious mood

Oct 21, 2010 (Started Apr 16, 2010)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: It seems like maybe the honeymoon is over--I think not sleeping enough and added life stress are mitigating the effects of this medication.

Aug 8, 2010 (Started Apr 16, 2010)

Moderate (for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (weight loss, irritability, decreased appetite, dry mouth, anxious mood, insomnia)
Advice & Tips: Unexpected benefits: Initially I had more energy but that became less noticeable as I adjusted. I tend to be more talkative while taking Adderall. Impact: I'm able to concentrate more effectively; I end up getting more of my goals completed.

Jul 30, 2010 (Started Jun 22, 2010)

Slight (for Treat my mood condition(s))
    Moderate (for problems concentrating)
  • Side effects
    Mild (anxious mood)
Advice & Tips: Definitely give this a try. I've been under a lot of stress lately, so it's hard to tell if Adderall has been contributing to any mood changes or anxiety. I put anxiety as a side-effect because I do think it contributed to my anxiety, but in a different way, which I will explain. The thing about taking this drug, in my experience, is that it was a huge moment of "waking up". When I took my first dose, I literally felt my experience of reality shifting over a period of a few minutes. All my little "feelers/sensors" on the side of my head retracted, I had some tension in my forehead (a common sideeffect), and slowly, I felt myself come down into my body. I don't know how else to describe it. It was like I was lost in space my entire life, and then I came down into my body and was more present. Even listening to music was different. I heard the same notes, rhthyms, and awesome instruments, but the quality of the experience was different. Before, I could really lose myself, go up into my head, and swim around in the inner universe of the music. Listening now, the music still rocks, but I'm still here. So this was a huge wow! I felt really good, but I also felt really angry that the majority of my self-perceptions of being flawed, retarded, shitty school experiences, were all shaped by a lack of some little chemical in my brain that a pill could solve. The pill only helps though, it doesn't solve. I completely re-evaluated my LIFE, and having tasted what reality was like for "everyone else but me", I became even harder on myself when I wasn't on the drug, because it was VERY noticeable. And who likes limitations? Who likes feeling like they have to work so much harder than everyone else just to stay on Planet Earth? But I guess that's the lesson I still need to learn: To accept my flaws and limitations. I've heard this is common for ADD folks though. We do develop a bit slower, and we feel like we're "behind" everyone else. I still think the fast food/public education system sucks, and I hope to God/Universe I live to see a revolution in education of the kind Sir Ken Robinson speaks of. I started with 5mg, went to 10mg, now we're shifting to 15mg/2x a day. I'm still under a lot of stress, I'm going outside my comfort zone, believing in my talents and abilities, and putting myself out there. I'm thankful for such a great support group, and friends and families. I hope this is helpful to people. :)
Side effects: anxious mood

Aug 18, 2009 (Started Jul 01, 2008)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Don't be afraid to ask your doc to increase your dosage if not getting desired effect

Showing 10 of 13 patient evaluations for Amphetamine-Dextroamphetamine