7 patient evaluations for Cyclosporine taken for the purpose of 'Transplant rejection prevention'

23 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

southern_muslimah
21991 thumb
southern_muslimah
  • Age: 44y
  • Physical: Moderate
  1. Kidney : 14y Transplanted

See southern_muslimah's full Cyclosporine history

Mar 4, 2012 (Started Mar 06, 2002)

Slight (for Prevent organ rejection)
    Slight (for Transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Hair growth)
Advice & Tips: I started working full-time (70 hours a week!) and I was not as compliant as I had always been. I wasn't taking care of myself and would miss doses due to my hectic schedule. It really caught up with me and now I'm paying the price. Please don't make the same mistake I did; you can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of yourself first!
Side effects: Hair growth

May 5, 2010 (Started Mar 06, 2002)

Major (for Transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Hair growth)
Advice & Tips: I have been very blessed that I haven't had alot of issues with the meds like some (gum overgrowth for example). I did have alot of cosmetic side-effects in the beginning like acne and hair growth where I didn't want it!
Side effects: Hair growth

• Mental: Moderate
  • Physical: Mild
  1. Kidney : 18y Transplanted

See Ginannie's full Cyclosporine history

Jul 14, 2010 (Started Jul 07, 1998)

Major (for Transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Tingling of tongue, finger tips and toes, Chronic Diarrhea, Facial hair excessive)
Advice & Tips: When I was preparing my body for my transplant, I was taking a large dose of Neoral that gave me migraine headaches, after my transplant, they lowered the dose, that stopped the headaches, but brought on the excessive hair on my face, neck, arms...unbelieveable hair, had to have it waxed off...But as they lowered my dosage more to 150 mg a day the hair went back to normal...another side affect of a large dose was cold water feeling hot on my hands, my fingers tingling, diarrhea , feet numb, tongue numb and wanting chocolate but hating the way it taste...When I lose weight these same (above)symtons will happen and the doctors have to lower my dosage. The Rapamune has helped not reject, but it has a bad side affect of not allowing your body to heal from surgery...I've had 8 hernia surgeries in 10 yrs and I now have 3 new hernias that need repairing, I'm in pain, can't pick up anything over 10 lbs, I can't bend much with out tearing or hurting my abdomin area...it's frustrating, but I don't want to go off it due to rejection possibilities. It doesn't help that I still have my large polyscystic kidneys still in my petite frame along with my healthy large kidney that my sister gave me...I'm too small to have such big kidney pushing on my muscles all the time... Benifit...I'm alive and I'm not on Predisone...
Side effects: Tingling of tongue, finger tips and toes, Facial hair excessive, Chronic Diarrhea

meggymegos
19204 thumb
meggymegos
  • Age: 36y
  • Organ: Lung
  1. Lung : 7y Transplanted
Lung Transplant

See meggymegos's full Cyclosporine history

Mar 6, 2010 (Started Jun 21, 2009)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: This medication has caused me to grow more hair and faster. I have more arm hair and my leg hair grows faster and underarm hair. I've gotten some hair on my face, but luckily it's blonde so it's not all that noticeable. I need to get my eyebrows and lip waxed more often.

rezdoc
Portrait default thumb
rezdoc
  • Gender: F
  • Age: 67
Condition: Polycystic Kidney 3 additional condition(s)
  • Mental: Moderate
  • Physical: Moderate
I am: g
Polycystic Kidney

See rezdoc's full Cyclosporine history

Feb 1, 2009 (Started Aug 01, 1995)

Major (for Transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Fluid retention weight gain)
Advice & Tips: 1. commit to taking the medicine. The task looks daunting but you can control it. 2. have a system for organizing meds on a daily basis. For example, I have a box with 7 compartments, each of which is divided into four sections. I distribute my meds weekly. No need to rummage through pill bottles. 3. have a mini-system for traveling. 4. Keep abreast of when you will need a refill and make sure you order on time. 5. consider using a mail-order pharmacy. Some meds are less costly and the system is efficient. 6. even if you rely on mail order pharmacy, develop a positive relationship with a local community pharmacist. Some pharmacies now give antibiotics cost-free. I have found that my pharmacist pal will help me out in tight situations. Further, many of them are well-educated and yearn for a chance to inform and assist a patient with multiple medical issues. 7. commit to taking the medicine, no matter what, no matter where. It is the single most important thing that will keep your transplant running. It's the gas in the transplant engine!
Side effects: Fluid retention weight gain

chicks
29786 thumb
chicks
  • Age: 51y
  1. Kidney : 16y Transplanted

See chicks's full Cyclosporine history

Aug 19, 2000 (Started Aug 19, 2000)

Major (for Transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Hair growth increased)
Advice & Tips: At first, when you come home from the hospital you have really vivid bad nightmares. Probably a combination of predisone and neoral and rapamune and all the other drugs i take. And of course UNWANTED HAIR ESPECIALLY ON THE FACE I almost stopped taking my meds because of this I sorry just care how I look. I'm so glad i kept taking this med otherwise I would probably be dead, dialysis was really hard on me. I actually quit in the middle of treatment. I had enough I was going to just die. That night the kidney transplant team called me they had a matching donor. I still had not received my pager yet. God works in magical ways. I would be dead if it wasnt for that call. So what's some hair on the face. You just spend alot of money on waxing.
Side effects: Hair growth increased

29184 thumb
  • Sex: M
  • Age: 30y
  1. Kidney : 28y Transplanted

See 1988transplantpatient's full Cyclosporine history

May 7, 1997 (Started Apr 22, 1997)

None (for Transplant rejection prevention)
Advice & Tips: Made me reject

29184 thumb
  • Sex: M
  • Age: 30y
  1. Kidney : 28y Transplanted

See 1988transplantpatient's full Cyclosporine history

Apr 22, 1997 (Started Oct 31, 1988)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: burden because it tasted straight nasty i used to hate taking it

Showing 7 of 7 patient evaluations for Cyclosporine