8 patient evaluations for Amitriptyline taken for the purpose of 'migraine headaches'

78 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Mar 23, 2015 (Started Dec 17, 2013)

Moderate (for circulation problems)
    Slight (for pain)
  • Side effects

Sep 8, 2014 (Started Jan 09, 2014)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
    Slight (for atypical migraine)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (drowsiness)

Jun 19, 2014 (Started Jan 09, 2014)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
    Slight (for atypical migraine)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (drowsiness)
Advice & Tips: When you start taking this, don't plan to drive after your morning dose or after dinner time until you've discovered how it affects you regarding tiredness.

Mar 10, 2014 (Started Oct 04, 2011)

Moderate (for depressed mood)
    Moderate (for migraine headaches)
    Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
    Moderate (for migraine)
  • Side effects

Aug 15, 2012 (Started Jul 01, 2012)

None (for fibromyalgia)
    None (for pain)
    None (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dry mouth)

Jul 13, 2010 (Started Sep 20, 2009)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (drowsiness)
Advice & Tips: Was very effective initially for making me feel better rested. Started at 10mg at bedtime for 3 weeks and then upped to 20mg at bedtime for several months. After about a month and a half migraine frequency was reduced and length of attacks was reduced. After about five months the migraines started coming more frequently again and were lasting longer. Neurologist recommended that I increase the dose and see if that helped and keep doing that every few weeks until either the frequency of the attacks was manageable or the side effects became intolerable. Went to 30mg at bedtime but found I couldn't get up in the morning as I was too drowsy. Started taking 30mg at dinnertime but found that I couldn't stay alert long enough to get anything accomplished in the evening (I work full time, go to school part time, and have two kids and a husband that works 70+ hours a week so evening productivity is vital!) so I asked to try something else. Waiting for my next appointment with the neuro which is unfortunately 6 months away. Pharmacy was then unable to get the 10mg tablets so I was switched to one 25mg tablet. In the meantime I was officially diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by another specialist and she recommended that I be weaned off of the Amitriptyline for now so we can properly assess my reaction to Lyrica. I had absolutely no reduction in the Fibromyalgia pain from the Amitriptyline.
Side effects: drowsiness

Nov 7, 2009 (Started Jun 03, 2011)

Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, mood changes)
Advice & Tips: I highly recommend this as a migraine and fibro treatment as well. It has turned my life around headache wise. Instead of having migraines on average twice per week, I might have 2 per month now. Plus, it is very inexpensive, and helps me to sleep, too.
Side effects: mood changes, weight gain

Dec 5, 2008 (Started Nov 27, 2008)

Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Mild (weight gain, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: Seems to work on my stabbing pain in the head. Take it before going to sleep.
Side effects: weight gain, abdominal bloating

Sep 21, 2008 (Started )

Major (for pain)
    Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Mild (grogginess)
Advice & Tips: If you really want to sleep through the night in a major way, this is for you. I dropped it a few years back because I felt I was taxing my liver with too many pharmaceuticals and my migraine problem had gone away, hopefully never to return. I have no idea what this stuff costs as I'm a 100% disabled service-connected vet so the VA (American tax-payers) provide all my meds, even those not intended for MS symptom control.
Side effects: grogginess

Showing 8 of 8 patient evaluations for Amitriptyline