19 patient evaluations for Rituximab

177 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

May 18, 2018 (Started Jan 15, 2016)

Slight (for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma)
    Slight (for follicular lymphoma)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue)
Advice & Tips: Discontinued December 2016 because treatment was no longer having any effect on my lymphoma

Jan 29, 2017 (Started Jan 15, 2016)

Moderate (for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma)
    Moderate (for follicular lymphoma)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fatigue)

Dec 15, 2016 (Started Jan 15, 2016)

Slight (for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma)
    Slight (for follicular lymphoma)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fatigue)
Dosage: 10 mg Weekly

Feb 15, 2017 (Started Jul 15, 2016)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects

Sep 24, 2016 (Started Sep 11, 2014)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I had 2 infusions, 14 days apart. And that was it. The effect was not worth the price according to my rheumatologist (I paid nothing myself)

Jul 1, 2014 (Started Sep 11, 2014)

• Side effects

Mar 24, 2016 (Started Feb 25, 2016)

Can't tell (for transverse myelitis)
Dosage: 10 mg Every 6 months
Advice & Tips: I haven't had any side effects. I cannot tell if there are any unexpected benefits. It takes a full day for me to drive to where my infusion takes place, then drive home. The hospital is 1 1/2 hours one way. The infusion itself takes 6 hours, a week apart. Then the same drive time back home.

Sep 15, 2014 (Started Jul 15, 2012)

Slight (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (sinus headaches)
Dosage: 10 mg Yearly
Advice & Tips: This was an infusion. Go prepared to sit back and relax. Take the Benedryl offered to you and go to sleep for a while. Depending on the dose, you may be there for five hours (or as little as two). Bring a book. No work. No annoying phone calls. This was a perfect excuse to rest. You will havwe to go into the doctor's office and miss a day of work. Immediately after an infusion I would be hungry and tired. So I would go home and take a nap after lunch. Because of small veins and constant dehydration, it would take five to five and a half hours for me to get my dosage. I went once every six months initially, then once every four months. If after three doses you were not getting any relief, talk to your doctor. She may wish to change the number of times you were getting treated.

Mar 25, 2013 (Started Mar 15, 2006)

Major (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
    Major (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (nausea, migraine)
Advice & Tips: I use the Scopalamine Patch the night before (helps eliminate the nausea - I have tried Phenergan and Zofran -both used to work, but don't any more). Occasionally I have side effects during the drip (itchiness in throat, ears and head - now they add tagamet and claritin to stop that - last infusion it worked well). Retuxan has changed my life - I was unable to work before i was on it- after the first infusion about 1 month later I went to EUROPE for a week (I never could have gone before!) and I walked, went to Paris, London, had a blast! Prior to retuxan I had stopped working completely and spend most of my life in bed. I had researched this drug and was waiting for for the FDA to approve. As soon as it did my doc got approval ( had been on EVERYTHING prior to that) and had a needle in my arm! I was the second patient to receive treatment at my clinic! It is a godsend! I'm not "normal" but I am a LOT better (I can tell when I can't afford it- it is pricey but the company has started a program to help you pay for what insurance wont (it's apprx 7-20,000 per infusion)So with a copay or if you get it early in the year you owe all of your out of pocked and deductible (3K for me!). It is an all day infusion (about 6 hours) and bc of problems years ago with an insurance company that paid for it, then when we moved to a different insurance company they went back and "retroactively denied treatment" I fought but still owed the clinic $8000 which I did NOT have on hand. They have told me I can NEVER get infused at their clinic (which is a problem bc many clinics are with hospitals and they won't let me get infusioned if my doc doesn't have privs, or the hospitals want the doctor to get approval and her office refuses since they aren't getting paid. SO..advice - even if your doctor says you are approved CALL INSURANCE find out how much you will owe. Once it's in your arm you could owe a lot of money. AND some clinics don't actually get authorization (then they will charge you a LARGE fee - your insurance). BUT apart from the cost (LOL) it is brilliant! OH - the typical dose is 2 infusions 2 weeks apart every 4 months (that is NOT ON THE LIST OF CHOICES). You can get it more frequently (and I did once) but you need to get approval from your insurance.

May 1, 2012 (Started Nov 01, 2011)

Slight (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (major depressive disorder, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches, tremor in hands, tremor(s))
Advice & Tips: stop medication did not help with swelling or pain in joints added actemra 2012 may

Jan 1, 2012 (Started Nov 01, 2011)

None (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (major depressive disorder, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches, tremor in hands, tremor(s))
Advice & Tips: very expensive was disappointed it did not work

Dec 10, 2011 (Started Nov 01, 2011)

None (for rheumatoid arthritis)
Dosage: 7 hr Monthly
Advice & Tips: i had to submitt 2 infusion with no success for me i had alot of inflamation and fatigue infusion 1 month apart 7 hours for each was hoping it would work for me

Nov 22, 2011 (Started Oct 15, 2009)

Can't tell (for neuromyelitis optica)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (decreased appetite, fever, whole body ache, generalized weakness (asthenia), fatigue)
Dosage: 1000 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: I was diagnosed with NMO in October of 2009, and began chemotherapy using Rituximab almost immediately. The treatments were VERY hard on my body, and I almost invariably had alarming cardiac/respiratory crises with every session. As stated in my previous evaluation of this drug, it reached a point where the drug was so hard on me that my doctor (and my anesthetist parents) stopped treatment after my treatment in June of 2010. My husband and I moved from South Carolina to North Carolina in October of 2011, where I met with several new doctors in the Asheville area. My new hemotologist convinced me that he could administer my treatments without causing the issues I'd previously experienced. I conceded, and to my surprise, he lived up to his claim immensely. He infused the same drug in the same dosage, but with a totally different method. My side effects (both during treatment and after) were minimized greatly - I had NO cardiac/pulmonary crises, and my recuperation time was cut in half. My opinion on this treatment has improved by leaps and bounds. That being said, however, it is still a VERY powerful drug, and should be used with extreme caution - and only if you have exhausted the less dangerous treatments available.

Jun 2, 2010 (Started Oct 15, 2009)

None (for neuromyelitis optica)
Dosage: 1000 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: If you take Rituxan, be VERY aware of the strength of this drug, and of the possible side effects. Also consider that NMO in itself causes a great deal of fatigue and weakness, and that the Rituxan exacerbates these effects 100-fold. I deteriorated very quickly neurologically speaking, so much so that my parents (who are CRNAs) were truly afraid I would not survive the last treatment. Just be cautious, and be sure your body is physically strong enough to endure such risky treatment.

Aug 30, 2011 (Started Mar 01, 2009)

Moderate (for neuromyelitis optica)
Dosage: 1000 mg Yearly
Advice & Tips: worked for 2 years, then stopped working

Jun 22, 2010 (Started Mar 01, 2009)

Major (for neuromyelitis optica)
Dosage: 1000 mg Yearly
Advice & Tips: Had 1000 mg infusion 4x at weekly intervals @ 10 months, had 1000 mg infusion 2x at 2-week interval

Oct 22, 2010 (Started Jan 27, 2010)

Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: i had the rituximab treatment 01.27.10 and 2 weeks later 02.10.2010 the next treatment was given 10.22.2010 and 2 weeks later 11.05.2010 my insurance did not cover at atll nor the infusion time! unfortunately i am still declining…, no relapses… but = this treatment did not work for me

Showing 10 of 19 patient evaluations for Rituximab