9 patient evaluations for Acetazolamide

43 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Mar 12, 2015 (Started Jul 01, 2011)

Moderate (for headaches)
    Moderate (for dizziness)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This medication helps my CADASIL symptoms of headache, dizziness, nausea, and lightheadedness.

Mar 11, 2013 (Started Jun 06, 2012)

Can't tell (for idiopathic intracranial hypertension)
  • Side effects
    Severe (excessive dry mouth)

Mar 27, 2012 (Started Mar 16, 2012)

Moderate (for idiopathic intracranial hypertension)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (numbness and tingling with pins and needles, metallic taste in mouth, excessive sleeping (hypersomnia), fatigue)
Advice & Tips: I would not take this medication given better options, but they really don't exist for IIH. I try to take it with either breakfast or lunch, and with dinner.

Jan 23, 2012 (Started May 01, 2011)

Major (for idiopathic intracranial hypertension)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (nausea, fatigue, numbness and tingling with pins and needles, exhaustion, sore throat, ataxia (lack of coordination))
Advice & Tips: This makes you very tired, and you become very aware of shifts within your brain pressure. It is, however, the only thing that kept me from further cognitive loss and blindness (which I was on the edge of). I really do recommend it, even though it kind of sucks. We found out that my synthroid was the cause of my IIH; we don't know how, but my body somehow processes synthroid differently. I was taken off of synthroid (put onto cytomel) and spent a month being stepped off of diamox -- after the first half-life, the step-down rate became very quick (we waited until my medicine gave me two consecutive low-pressure headaches at the current dose). I still have over-sensitized eyes, non-perfect visual fields, and a lot of audio/visual identification trouble (what is that object, what does that word match up to) and strategizing/problem-solving/working memory isssues, but hopefully those will clear up in the next year or two.

Oct 25, 2011 (Started May 01, 2011)

Major (for idiopathic intracranial hypertension)
  • Side effects
    Severe (nausea, fatigue, numbness and tingling with pins and needles, exhaustion, sore throat, ataxia (lack of coordination))
Dosage: 2000 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Make sure to understand whether you are having low-pressure or high pressure headaches (how they change in relation to whether or not you're lying down helps); I usually suffer high-pressure headaches but on a higher dose I realized when I took doses too close together (10 hours about instead of 12) I was actually getting some low-pressure headaches.

Mar 1, 2011 (Started Jun 15, 2009)

Moderate (for weight loss)
  • Side effects

Jul 14, 2009 (Started Jun 15, 2009)

Moderate (for weight loss)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I don't know why a drug meant for altitude sickness has the effect of helping me lose the weight I gained on a higher dose of Mirapex, but it seems to be working. I've lost 4 or 5 pounds in the month I've been on it.

Apr 15, 2010 (Started Apr 16, 2009)

None (for diuretic)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: It made me very tired, weak, drained, did not notice the diurectic effects any different than before taking it, actually voiding seemed to be harder and less at the time I quit taking this drug. There was a huge difference in how I felt, which was so much better after I got off it.

Dec 30, 2009 (Started Aug 28, 2004)

Slight (for Other)
  • Side effects

Dec 20, 2009 (Started Nov 19, 2009)

Can't tell (for spinal fluid pressure)
  • Side effects
    Severe (head pain, burning sensation in soles of feet, numbness in hands)
Side effects: numbness in hands, burning sensation in soles of feet, head pain, head pain

Nov 30, 2009 (Started Nov 19, 2009)

Moderate (for spinal fluid pressure)
  • Side effects
    Severe (head pain, burning sensation in soles of feet, numbness in hands)
Advice & Tips: unexpected dizziness, head pressure changed but head pain increased dramatically. Took medication for three weeks but started having unusual head pains and spikes. I was unable to get up in the mornings and morphine didn't even help. Concerned about migraine strokes I slowly removed myself back off of this medication, pressure and pain returned to a tolerable level for the moment.

Jul 6, 2008 (Started Jun 25, 2008)

None (for Other)
    None (for Vision)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (numbness in hands, bowel problems)
Advice & Tips: Make sure to drink lots of fluids
Side effects: numbness in hands, bowel problems, bowel problems

Showing 9 of 9 patient evaluations for Acetazolamide