9 patient evaluations for Divalproex sodium taken for the purpose of 'epilepsy' with a side effects rating of Moderate

49 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Aug 20, 2012 (Started Aug 15, 1988)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (generalized anxiety disorder, fatigue, dental problems, weight gain)
Advice & Tips: I find the burden of taking this med very diffucult because I have been on the same med for 25 yrs now and I feel it is not as efficient now as it was 25 yrs ago. It is causing dental issues with my tooth enamel and gums. It causes weight issues even though I eat an extremely healthy diet and am active. In the past 3 yrs, I haven't felt nearly as well as in past yrs. I have recently learned that Drs. no longer perscribe Depakote to children as it may cause depression/suicidal thoughts. I believe I am experiencing feelings of anxiety due to long-term usage. I know there are newer/better medications and don't understand why my neurologist just shrugs me off when I mention the possibility for change.

Jul 7, 2011 (Started Aug 22, 2010)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain)
Side effects: weight gain

Dec 12, 2010 (Started Mar 06, 1993)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (memory and cognition problems, memory problems)
Side effects: memory and cognition problems, memory problems, memory problems

Nov 14, 2010 (Started Aug 01, 1995)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (clearer skin, breast enlargement, cloudy thinking, difficulty making decisions, weight gain)
Advice & Tips: Depakote controlled my seizures most of the time, but has not completely done so. The seizures always come back about a year or two after adjusting my dosage. The side effects for me are: weight gain, breast enlargement, tremors, depression, indecisiveness or what is termed "cloudy thinking" on the label... Positive effects were the relaxing effect of this medicine. It calmed me down emotionally. Depakote has made daily life easier but I am ready for a new medicine, as I am developing an immunity to it.
Side effects: breast enlargement, weight gain, difficulty making decisions, clearer skin, cloudy thinking

Aug 2, 2010 (Started Jul 20, 2010)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (stuttering)
Advice & Tips: I did not tolerate this very well.I had a gait disturbance and very pronounced stutter while taking this.I also started itching about 45 minutes after taking medicine for about 2 weeks.

Jun 28, 2010 (Started Jun 28, 2010)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fluid retention weight gain, weight gain)
Dosage: 1000 mg One time
Advice & Tips: Depakote is also known as valproic acid - you can get you insurance to cover it on a name brand and name brand is better and has other effects then yhe off brand.. i got real sick on the off brand .. i have generalized seizures and my seirures can not handle the off brand ... so if you have your neuo submit paper work stating this is true for you for you as well your insurance will cover you. Then take the paper work to your pharmacy. Then they submit it for you and all you have to pay is a copay.
Side effects: weight gain, fluid retention weight gain

Mar 23, 2010 (Started Mar 30, 2009)

Major (for epilepsy)
    Major (for seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects

Dec 21, 2009 (Started Mar 30, 2009)

• Side effects

Nov 19, 2009 (Started Jan 06, 2000)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (slowed thinking, drowsiness, problems concentrating, tremor(s))
Dosage: 2000 mg Daily
Side effects: problems concentrating, drowsiness, tremor(s), slowed thinking, memory problems

Sep 18, 2008 (Started Jul 05, 2008)

None (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (elevated liver enzymes, extreme sedation, weight gain)
Side effects: weight gain