3 patient evaluations for Simvastatin taken for the purpose of 'Hypercholesterolemia' with a side effects rating of Severe

Troy Kestrel
Portrait_default_thumb
Troy Kestrel
  • Sex: M
  • Age: 50
Condition: Diabetes Type 1 1 additional condition(s)
Quality of Life:
  • Mental: Mild
  • Physical: None
I am: g
Diabetes Type 1

See Troy Kestrel's full Simvastatin history

Nov 16, 2011 (Started Jun 06, 2008)

• Perceived effectiveness for Hypercholesterolemia: None
  • Adherence: Never
  • Burden: Very
Advice & Tips: Physicians need to be more aware of the need to review medications as potential causes of unexpected symptoms. Took this drug for two-plus years before I happened to read an article about stomach muscle pain and realized the drug was the cause of my long-term, consistent, daily, "odd" stomach muscle cramps. I believe (though am not quite as certain) that the drug impacted my muscle function, thus making weight lifting more difficult. It clearly impacted my quality of life. Symptoms ceased almost completely immediately after I stopped taking the drug. Had 1 major cramp a couple of days later and 1 major cramp about 3 weeks later and continue to notice slight occasional after effects (small cramps) to this day but the cramps are almost completely nonexistent now that the drug isn't being taken, compared to multiple cramps daily when I was taking the drug. Also, it's essential these drug side effects get reported. My doctor, pharmacist nor nurse were willing to report the side effect because "they already know." If more patient reports came in, perhaps the real picture of how many people are affected would become clear. Ought to be a law mandating medical professionals report ALL suspected side effects.

MaineGuy
Portrait_default_thumb
MaineGuy
  • Sex: M
  • Age: 57
Condition: Lyme 23 additional condition(s)
Quality of Life:
  • Mental: Moderate
  • Physical: Moderate
I am: g
Lyme

See MaineGuy's full Simvastatin history

Sep 21, 2011 (Started Jan 01, 2010)

• Perceived effectiveness for Hypercholesterolemia: Moderate
  • Adherence: Always
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Watch out for long term side effects! I have stopped taking this medication (20 mg/daily) and am now waiting to see what, if any, of my medical problems show improvement.

PammyGrammy
CFS:7y Dx
I am: b
Fibromyalgia

See PammyGrammy's full Simvastatin history

Mar 15, 2011 (Started Feb 01, 2011)

• Perceived effectiveness for Hypercholesterolemia: Can’t tell
  • Adherence: Always
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: I had severe swelling with this medication so the Dr took me off. Toenails discolored and started to peel off also.
Side effects: Swelling in legs, feet and ankles, toenails coming off

Showing 3 of 3 patient evaluations for Simvastatin