8 patient evaluations for Modafinil with a side effects rating of Severe

58 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jun 24, 2010 (Started Jun 01, 2010)

Major (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Severe (hives (urticaria), muscle weakness)
Advice & Tips: It was extrememely helpful in alleviate my severe fatigue symptom, but the muscle weakness that I experienced became progressively worse to the point of frightening me and therefore decided that I would ask my doctor for alternative therapy.
Side effects: hives (urticaria), muscle weakness

Jun 22, 2010 (Started Jun 01, 2010)

Major (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (hives (urticaria), muscle weakness)
Advice & Tips: I am impressed by how well it works. It's almost as if I don't have chronic fatigue anymore. I still can't really do any significant cardio because the next day I'll be out of commission regardless of the meds. One other thing to mention is that it only works for half of the day. So if you sleep 8 hours and are awake for 16, the drug only lasts for about 8 hours and you then need another one or you will experience the crash of the century. So I have to take another one to give myself another "boost". I am seeing my doctor on Thurs. to discuss whether I'll continue with the drug, change to something else (if something else exists), or go back to the diet pills that I used to order on the internet.
Side effects: hives (urticaria), muscle weakness

Mar 3, 2010 (Started Mar 03, 2010)

Can’t tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (allergic reaction)

Dec 25, 2009 (Started Dec 20, 2009)

Can’t tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (swelling hands with and popping painful joints)

Nov 30, 2009 (Started Sep 26, 2008)

Slight (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Severe (increased brain stimulation, dry mouth)
Advice & Tips: Kept me up until 3 or 4 am several times a week. I felt my brain was contantly firing , and lack of sleep hendered my daily routines involving my young kids. With com ination of othe drugs, I had to stop driving for at least 10 days.
Side effects: increased brain stimulation, dry mouth

Oct 28, 2008 (Started Sep 26, 2008)

Moderate (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Mild (dry mouth)
Side effects: increased brain stimulation, dry mouth

Aug 19, 2009 (Started Aug 05, 2009)

Major (for brain fog)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: watch your Blood Pressure. Provigil made me feel great & I could concentrate & function. BUT,my BP went up so high I was falling & wound up in the ER with a concussion

Jun 14, 2009 (Started Nov 01, 2008)

Moderate (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Severe (sleep problems, irritability, headaches, anxious mood, Pain)
Advice & Tips: I like to have energy, but sometimes Provigil just isn't for me.
Side effects: sleep problems, irritability, anxious mood, Pain, headaches, headaches

Apr 24, 2009 (Started Nov 01, 2005)

Moderate (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Severe (sleep problems, stiffness in neck, jittery feeling, irritability, dry mouth, anxious mood)
Advice & Tips: take if you need it and leave it alone if you don't
Side effects: dry mouth, jittery feeling, sleep problems, anxious mood, irritability, stiffness in neck

Mar 15, 2009 (Started Apr 01, 2004)

Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (dry eyes, dry mouth, insomnia, hallucinations)
Advice & Tips: Be very careful if you take Provigil/Modafinil. I took it from 2004-2009 with no terrible side effects, just dry eyes and dry mouth, and some days I didn't sleep at all. But once my neurologist upped my dosage to double the amount, I began having voices in my head. If you read about the side effects of this medicine, it states that hallucinations may occur. Well, they did. I went bat-shit crazy. My husband had me committed to an area loony bin for 5 days so he could go to work, and not have to watch me every minute. They readjusted my meds, put me on some other stuff to calm me down, and released me back into society. I still had the voices in my head, telling me wacky things. I had follow-up appointments with a shrink and a counselor. I was really skinny until the shrink put me on antidepressants, then I ballooned up, way up. He wanted to keep me on those drugs forever, but I got off them after a few months. I didn't like being on meds that kept me from being able to have a beer or a glass of wine. And, I still had the voices in my head. Those meds did nothing for that. The psychiatrist told me I would have the voices with me forever. Well, I got lucky. My brother knew the hell I was going through, and he was planning a weekend at a lake and decided to invite me and my husband along for some good ol' R&R. Sitting on the dock of the bay, er, lake, watching the water lick the stones, I noticed it was quiet. Wait, what? Finally?! Yes! That's what I needed! Peace! Nature! Not drugs! After 18 gruelling months of having voices yell at me, bitch at me, order me around, tell me to do utterly stupid things (I turned off the water heater before my husband got home from work, so when he tried to take a shower, all he had was cold water. Tell me to get in my truck and drive to the DMV and take off my license plates and turn them in...I did not do that! I only got part way there and couldn't get the plate off. Totally idiotic stuff! There's a lot more, worse stuff, some I don't even remember, my husband tells me things that I did, and I am just dumbfounded.) The moral of the story is be very careful! and don't double the dose!!

Showing 8 of 8 patient evaluations for Modafinil