22 patient evaluations for Lithium Carbonate with a side effects rating of Mild

192 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

May 27, 2015 (Started Nov 04, 2009)

Major (for bipolar I disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (tremor in hands, muscle twitching (fasciculations), word fishing, problems concentrating, tiredness, excessive thirst (polydipsia))
Advice & Tips: I should add that shortly after that last evaluation I ended up in the hospital so perhaps I wasn't doing so well as I thought. That was almost 4 years ago, however, and I am doing much better. Sometimes I'm even able to forget about my illness, except for the meds and therapy and pdoc visits. I've been at my job for 5 years, full time for 3. I've been in a steady relationship for 2 1/2 years. I'm even working on going back to teaching, possibly in an urban setting. I'm where I never thought I would be 6 years ago, healthier than I've probably been my entire life.
Side effects: muscle twitching (fasciculations), tremor in hands, tiredness, problems concentrating, excessive thirst (polydipsia), word fishing

Jul 9, 2011 (Started Nov 04, 2009)

Moderate (for bipolar II disorder)
    Major (for bipolar I disorder)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Lithium's been the one constant in all my med changes over the past couple years. The dose goes up and down but it's always there and for that I'm grateful. My mood swings are for the most part manageable and much less frightening. If I get stare at the ceiling depressed it lasts the weekend not for months. Manias are mild and involve lots of projects and irritability but for the most part they're still fun. Anxiety is still an issue but it always will be. Hand tremors are easily controlled with Inderal. Sometimes it's unnerving though to think that a lot of what stands between the life I've created and falling apart is a few peach capsules. I'm careful to keep my meds close.

May 7, 2010 (Started Nov 04, 2009)

Moderate (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (tremor in hands, muscle twitching (fasciculations), word fishing, problems concentrating, tiredness, excessive thirst (polydipsia))
Advice & Tips: After each increase in dose I am very tired at first. I could sleep well at night and take several naps a day and still be tired. Fortunately this goes away after about two weeks. I am one of the lucky ones to not gain any weight. If anything I've lost a few pounds from the nausea and loss of appetite. I read somewhere that lithium changes the chemical composition of your saliva and this might be why I just don't have a taste for much of anything. I do, however, have the classic hand tremors and memory problems. These are more of a problem. I have to say right now that even on a relatively high dose of 1200 mg I don't seem to be getting much if any better. I've been on this dose for 2 1/2 weeks and I still am depressed enough that I don't want to get out of bed, I snap at little stuff like not being able to find my car keys, and I don't like to be around people. So right now it's hard for me to take it because I'm seeing side effects but very little change in my mood. I'm very discouraged.

Apr 8, 2010 (Started Nov 04, 2009)

Major (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (tremor in hands, muscle twitching (fasciculations), word fishing, problems concentrating, tiredness)

Oct 17, 2012 (Started Aug 29, 2012)

None (for suicidal ideation)
  • Side effects
    Mild (ringing in ears (tinnitus))

Nov 1, 2010 (Started Oct 08, 2006)

Moderate (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (tremor in hands, thirst)
Side effects: tremor in hands, thirst

Jan 20, 2009 (Started Oct 08, 2006)

Side effects: tremor in hands, thirst

Dec 18, 2008 (Started Oct 08, 2006)

Major (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (tremor in hands, thirst)
Side effects: tremor in hands, thirst

Jul 20, 2010 (Started Feb 11, 2008)

Advice & Tips: significantly lessened frequency and severity of cramps

Jul 19, 2010 (Started Jul 01, 2008)

None (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (dry mouth)
Advice & Tips: helped w/spasm
Side effects: dry mouth

May 5, 2010 (Started Nov 09, 2009)

Moderate (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (diarrhea, shakiness)
Advice & Tips: Lithobid is much better on the stomach I was on Lithium but Lithium caused major stomach issues so the doctor put me on Lithobid because unlike the regular Lithium, Lithobid goes thru the digest track and causes less stomach issues.
Side effects: diarrhea, shakiness

Mar 22, 2010 (Started Apr 01, 2005)

Major (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
    Mild (tremor in hands, weight gain, thirst)
Advice & Tips: Side effects were gone after a month of treatment, only when raising dosage would side effects temporarily reappear then go away within approx. a weeks time. Blood work must always be maintained while on lithium which can sometimes be a nuisance. Treatment was very effective for quite a few years until other medical conditions required me to start a different medication that could not be used with lithium. The lithium also seemed to fail after about four years but was probably due to my newly discovered health condition.
Side effects: tremor in hands, weight gain, thirst

Aug 17, 2009 (Started Apr 01, 2005)

Major (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
    Mild (tremor in hands, weight gain, thirst)
Advice & Tips: Just like every medication there are side effects. I have noticed with any medication I have been on for an extended period 99% of those side effects disappear after so many weeks. The side effects that don't you just decide whether or not you can live with as long as they are not dangerous. Remember while on lithium to have your levels checked when your doctor requests.
Side effects: tremor in hands, weight gain, thirst

Jan 27, 2010 (Started Mar 31, 2008)

• Side effects

Aug 27, 2008 (Started Mar 31, 2008)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Get regular blood level checks during the initial dosing phase.

Dec 1, 2009 (Started Sep 16, 2008)

None (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects

Oct 27, 2008 (Started Sep 16, 2008)

• Side effects

Apr 20, 2009 (Started Apr 20, 2009)

Can't tell (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (nausea, tremor in hands, acne breakout, frequent urination, thirst, generalized weakness (asthenia))
Side effects: acne breakout, thirst, frequent urination, tremor in hands, generalized weakness (asthenia), nausea

Showing 10 of 22 patient evaluations for Lithium Carbonate