31 patient evaluations for Topiramate with a side effects rating of Moderate

262 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Mar 17, 2017 (Started Mar 05, 2017)

Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anorexia nervosa, aphasia, stuttering)
Dosage: 100 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: I suffered from crushing migraines for 40 years.... when i got the 100mg dose 2 x day my migraines disappeared, fir that i will put up with aphasia and stuttering and spelling errors to not have crushing pain for 40 years. i can now wean off the narcotics i took norco 10mg /325 to get pain control to 4-5/10 and now i am pain free it is a good trade.

Aug 18, 2016 (Started Jun 12, 2016)

Major (for headaches)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (frequent urination)
Dosage: 50 mg Twice daily

Dec 31, 2014 (Started Jan 15, 2011)

Moderate (for oscillopsia)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (pseudobulbar affect)
Dosage: 200 mg Twice daily

Dec 31, 2014 (Started Feb 01, 2011)

Slight (for dizziness)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (pins and needles, dry mouth, pins and needles)

Dec 20, 2014 (Started Feb 01, 2011)

None (for dizziness)
  • Side effects
    Mild (pins and needles, dry mouth, pins and needles)

Apr 14, 2013 (Started Feb 01, 2011)

Major (for dizziness)
  • Side effects
    Mild (pins and needles, dry mouth, pins and needles)
Advice & Tips: Always make sure you titrate up slowly with this medication. If you come down, titrate down. Never jump up or down.

May 19, 2014 (Started Jul 29, 2005)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (hair loss, hair loss)
Advice & Tips: after trying 4 different kinds of seizure med gained 70 lbs I asked to go back to Dilantin . now they feel other meds or symptoms may be counteracting with my Dilantin from working , trying me on metformin for sugar to help with counteractions .

Mar 8, 2014 (Started Jul 29, 2005)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (hair loss, hair loss)
Advice & Tips: I have to take topomax reg DAW because the generic topomax causes me to have , pedimal seizures . No matter what the dr, or insurance co. tells you , the generic is not as safe , always found out many times with other meds .

Nov 13, 2013 (Started Aug 01, 2011)

None (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (hair loss, weight loss, auras)
Advice & Tips: Slowly top up on this medication to reduce side effects and help your body get used to it.

Jun 6, 2013 (Started Jan 15, 2013)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (vision changes, sensory changes, sleepiness, hard sneezing, weight loss, loss of appetite, cough, sensory sensitivity, numbness and tingling with pins and needles, too strong sense of smell (hypersensitivity to smells))
Advice & Tips: I have been on seizure control meds all my life, this is the first one that actually helped me lose weight instead of gain it. I'm not on very much Topamax, and the rumor I heard/read was that people using it gave it the name Dopamax. I'm a writer and artist. I depend on my brain, needing it to work properly so I can have a happy and functioning life. I take my 3 pills all at once, 75 mg, at night before bed so I can write during the day. It was the only way I could do it. I still feel sleepy at times but I don't feel dopey... but I'm not on a lot either. The other thing I'd say is to be prepared for an entourage of strange sensory changes and sensitivities. I see in HD, as I like to put it, experience De Javu' all the time now, see titles on book come off the cover as though I'm wearing 3D glasses all the time, I taste smell and taste certain things at certain times of the day like burning fabric or the smell of metals like iron. I also cough for no reason and I am sneezing all the time now and it's not allergies... of which I don't have any. Should you take this med, I'd say take lots of notes, start slow, and keep the communication lines very open with your doctor.

Jul 19, 2011 (Started Jun 19, 2009)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (spaced out, hair loss)
Advice & Tips: I notice that my hair is falling out. I am very spacey. It does help control my seizures so I do take this, with the side effects.
Side effects: hair loss, spaced out

Jun 6, 2011 (Started Feb 10, 2007)

Moderate (for migraine)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (metallic taste in mouth, mental confusion, dry mouth)
Advice & Tips: dry mouth, taste altering, weight changes, confusion
Side effects: dry mouth, mental confusion, metallic taste in mouth

Jan 2, 2011 (Started Jul 01, 2010)

Moderate (for Support weight loss)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I originally took Topiramate because I was (wrongly)diagnosed with chronic migraines. On it, I lost 20 pounds. Since getting my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, I have since gained 40 pounds. My doctor and I have decided that going back on Topiramate might help me get back to a healthy weight. HOWEVER, I think that the Topiramate is causing me to have increased pain and increased intestinal distress. In addition, the weight loss has been minimal. All of the other medications are too strong for the topiramate's weight-loss effects too take effect.

Showing 10 of 31 patient evaluations for Topiramate