23 patient evaluations for Prednisone with a side effects rating of Severe

354 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jul 21, 2016 (Started Sep 15, 2015)

Moderate (for arthritis pain)
    Moderate (for Crohn's disease)
    Slight (for inflammation in joints)
  • Side effects
    Severe (mood swings, insomnia (less than 2 hours sleep), weight gain, dry skin, excessive thirst (polydipsia))
Advice & Tips: This is low cost but the side effects are worth considering. For short term use not an issue. For long term however, it has weight gain and insomnia, anxiousness, and need to taper of slowly or major withdrawals an issue. It seems for me it is no longer as effective from long term use.

Apr 17, 2016 (Started Feb 03, 2015)

None (for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome)
    Can't tell (for polymyalgia rheumatica)
  • Side effects
    Severe (flushing, feeling feverish, wired, tachycardia (fast heart rate), elevated blood pressure, stretch marks, moon face, weight gain, blurry vision, bruising, rash on face)
Dosage: 1.25 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Down to 1,25 mg since five days. The day after I woke with face rash that worsened during the day and the day after. Try to treat with lavender oil and coconut oil. A little better. Have always had perfect skin. Read somewhere that it might well be effect of tapering, happened to others too. More pain, especially in the thighs (that's why the GP thought it was PMR), weaker, stiffer, feel like I might fall when walking the rest of the day if I take a short walk (300 m) earlier in the day. On the plus side: moon face and double chin visibly reduced. Can't wait to get off completely next week.

Apr 8, 2016 (Started Feb 03, 2015)

Can't tell (for polymyalgia rheumatica)
  • Side effects
    Severe (flushing, feeling feverish, wired, tachycardia (fast heart rate), elevated blood pressure, stretch marks, moon face, weight gain, blurry vision, bruising)
Dosage: 2.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Turns out I never had PMR. Very difficult to come off. Suddenly easier when came down to 5 mg than earlier (from 40, started being difficult at 27,5 already). Positive: very strong nails, but that is the only one. The side effects are difficult. Especially sad for all the big and ugly stretch marks everywhere that will remain. Looking forward to getting rid of the moon face and the pred belly.

Mar 5, 2015 (Started Feb 03, 2015)

Moderate (for polymyalgia rheumatica)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (flushing, feeling feverish, wired, tachycardia (fast heart rate), moon face)
Advice & Tips: At 40 mg I am far from well (still weak, unable to stand for long and can't walk too far), but I have started to wake up rested in the mornings the last week or so, not in too much pain, less flu symptoms, and am able to think properly (calmly and methodically) for the first time in 19 years. The side effects seem to come a few days into new or elevated dose, stay for a week or two and then lessen as the body adjusts.

May 27, 2014 (Started May 06, 2014)

Major (for chronic bronchitis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (migraine, insomnia, mild depression, increased anxiety, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: Just don't get prescribed the stuff. The costs usually outweigh the benefits.

Feb 17, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Moderate (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
    Severe (facial swelling/puffiness, weight gain, high blood pressure (hypertension), fluid retention weight gain, bruising)
Advice & Tips: BP is high..need to taper down

Feb 12, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (facial swelling/puffiness, weight gain, high blood pressure (hypertension), fluid retention weight gain, bruising)
Advice & Tips: This drug is a double edged sword. It has controlled my symptoms better than any other drug. But the long term usage (8years) has suppressed my adrenals to the point that they make the taper very difficult. I am at 25 mg. and going to try a very slow taper of .5mg/month. Any faster and the withdrawal symptoms are so difficult. I will talk to my doctor this week about whether I need to add methotrexate before attempting the taper. The less prednisone I take the more pain med I require.

Jan 12, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This has been the only drug that has improved my quality of life. It is the biggest help for pain. BUT...I was put on it and not tapered off until my body had become totally dependent and my adrenal glands suppressed for too long and will not work now. I personally believe I now have adrenal insufficiency from being on prednisone way too long. I am hoping the appt I have with a new Rheumatologist will provide some fresh approach and answers. IF I taper down more than 1/2mg over 1-2 weeks I have a major flare. Can not think, hard to function and move. Right now I am on 20mg.

Jul 14, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: I will no longer take Prednisone at any dosage. It makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. Extreme weepiness, depression, anger. For me, it is awful.

Jul 11, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)

Jun 1, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: Wane down carefully as prescribed. I started with 20 mg daily last month, and after 2 weeks, went to 15 mg for 4 days, then 10 mg for 4 days, and I will get to 5 mg.

Apr 19, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: I hated being on Prednisone, and was never able to see if it had positive effects because I stopped after a couple months. The bloating, weight gain, and moodiness were too much for me to handle. I gained 10-15 pounds while taking it (which is quite extreme on my petite 5'2'' frame). Also, my mood swings were uncontrollable. The drug wasn't for me, and possibly because I was put on too high of a dosage. Because of my bad experience, I never take steroids, unless it is a 1-time injection to help my immune system beat a cold.

Dec 12, 2012 (Started Apr 13, 2011)

Major (for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, facial swelling/puffiness, manic behaviors, shakiness, sensitivity of teeth, bleeding under the skin on my arms, night cramps in legs and feet, tarry stool, hair loss, memory problems, facial flushing, bloodshot eyes, social withdrawal, dizziness with hypotension upon standing, difficulty staying asleep)
Advice & Tips: The Prednisone dosage began at 10 mg (with 1200 mg of NAC) and gradually reached 40 mg, then was slowly decreased as I began azathioprine; now I take azathiaprine with the NAC which seem to be keeping the disease from encroaching. The prednisone treatment at 40 mg a day for 18 months was extremely negative on my daily life but also extremely effective on my IPF!

Sep 27, 2012 (Started Sep 21, 2012)

Slight (for chronic pain syndrome)
    None (for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome)
  • Side effects
    Severe (nosebleeds (epistaxis), excessive bleeding, difficulty staying asleep)

Mar 1, 2012 (Started Oct 28, 2011)

Moderate (for whole body joint ache)
    Moderate (for inflammation in joints)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, increased appetite, stomach pain, diarrhea)

Dec 2, 2011 (Started Oct 28, 2011)

Moderate (for whole body joint ache)
    Slight (for inflammation in joints)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, increased appetite, stomach pain, diarrhea)
Advice & Tips: Prevacid helps the stomach pain go away almost completely. I have major moon face. Weaning off, 20 mg starting tomorrow.

Nov 7, 2011 (Started Oct 28, 2011)

Slight (for whole body joint ache)
    Major (for inflammation in joints)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, increased appetite, stomach pain, diarrhea)

Jul 26, 2011 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Major (for Crohn's disease)
  • Side effects
    Severe (swelling in knees, roid rage effects (steroids), dry mouth, increased appetite)
Advice & Tips: Prednisone works but there are reasons for why it's the drug of last resort for Crohn's Disease. It stiffened my joints, particularly my knees, and gave me a raging appetite I could not control. Significant weight gain was the result. My face became swollen, and I got a hump on my back. Altogether, prednisone works, but be prepared for the side effects.
Side effects: swelling in knees, increased appetite, roid rage effects (steroids), dry mouth

Jul 6, 2011 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Dosage: 5 mg/5 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Prednisone works, but the side effects are serious. Weight gain, binge eating, and facial swelling are all problems.

Nov 21, 2010 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I hate prednisone. The side effects are killer. But it works.

Jun 10, 2011 (Started Apr 08, 2011)

Slight (for autoimmune hemolytic anemia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (yeast infection on the butt, Stretch marks, weight gain, oral thrush (candidiasis), acne breakout, stretch marks, yeast infection (candida), multiple infections, mood swings, chipmunk cheeks, constant hunger, whole body ache, insomnia, excessive anger)
Advice & Tips: Side affects for me: Puffy, swollen cheeks, swollen everywhere really, my acne completely cleared up in the first 10 days and then later became UNBEARABLY awful and embarrassing, developed thrush in my throat and a yeast infection on my ass, got silly little infections from every single cut, my thumb got so infected that it swelled to twice it's normal size and was EXTREMELY painful, I experienced terrible insomnia, outrageous hunger, weight gain (7 pounds), I have TERRIBLE stretch marks now on my hips they are half an inch wide and almost two inches long, one on both sides. Also tons of terrible smaller ones on my ass. Scars on my ass from the yeast infection rash, ridiculous mood swings and constant anger.. Grumpiness and tiredness in general, bad glucose levels in my pee, bone aches, and MORE. One good thing: I did not have any allergies while taking this medication! (Usually a big thing for me)
Side effects: insomnia

Showing 10 of 23 patient evaluations for Prednisone