28 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection with a side effects rating of Mild

329 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Mar 1, 2016 (Started Feb 28, 2012)

Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (flu like symptoms)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL M,W,F

Sep 3, 2013 (Started Jun 12, 2006)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (flu like symptoms)
Dosage: 30 mg Weekly
Advice & Tips: expect to be achy. The flu like symptoms where for at least 2 days after I took it.

May 3, 2012 (Started Sep 09, 1996)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (flu like symptoms)
Advice & Tips: I have experienced very seldom exaserbations sinc beginning.

Apr 15, 2012 (Started Sep 09, 1996)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (flu like symptoms)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I may return to Avonex. Dr. and I wants to see if changes in progression by Oct. 2012, my next apointment. Notice a more slower, stiff walk. I have been on it for so long, I wanted to see any change or if necessary. I had to rely on copayment assistance to afford it. Paid $10 a month after receiving non-profit help on my insurance.

Mar 14, 2012 (Started Jan 15, 2007)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (short period flu like symptoms)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Once of the easiest treatments to take Unfortunately it did not slow the progression of my MS as much as I would have liked it to. However this is a great treatment for those newly diagnosed with MS if its not severe

Mar 10, 2012 (Started May 09, 2009)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (injection site redness)
Dosage: 30 mcg M,W,F

Mar 1, 2011 (Started Jan 01, 2004)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fever)
Dosage: 0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: as long as insurance paid, it was easy but when my symptoms got worse, I switched to the new drug-Gilenya.
Side effects: fever

Nov 27, 2010 (Started Jun 17, 2010)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (muscle pain, cold chills, whole body ache)
Advice & Tips: Side effects diminish with time
Side effects: muscle pain, cold chills, whole body ache

Jun 27, 2010 (Started Jun 17, 2010)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (muscle pain, cold chills, whole body ache)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I've only had 2 injections so far. The side effects are pretty brutal, however subside with time. Feels like labor pains all over the body. First injection they subsided after 24 hrs. Second injection much easier.
Side effects: muscle pain, cold chills, whole body ache

Oct 15, 2010 (Started Jun 06, 1999)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (flu like symptoms)
Dosage: 30 mcg Weekly
Advice & Tips: most difficult part is the needle. if your muscles are tense it hurts. the more relaxed, the less the hurt. used to get everything ready, choose the general shot location on my thigh, tighten my leg as tight as i could, then relax it, look off to the side a little and start counting backwards from 10. at some point, i'd stab the needle/syringe in, sort of surprising myself then look at where it landed. it landed way off course only once, didn't go in all the way a couple of times, but otherwise worked GREAT for me!
Side effects: flu like symptoms

Jun 10, 2010 (Started Jun 06, 1999)

Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (flu like symptoms)
Dosage: 30 mcg Weekly
Advice & Tips: IM injections are daunting and the more tense you are, the more it hurts. Figure out ways to RELAX (i do yoga, take a bath, or drink a glass of wine first)
Side effects: flu like symptoms

Oct 1, 2010 (Started Jun 10, 1998)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (flu like symptoms)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly

Jun 1, 2010 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (whole body ache, tiredness, fever/chills)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: My husband gave me my injections as my fear of needles would never allow me to inject myself. The side effects were manageable for me with the use of Tylenol or Advil. I had one mild flare up during my time on Avonex, but there were new lesions discovered on my most recent MRI (May 2010). I quit taking Avonex in June when we decided to get pregnant. We were successful and expect our baby boy in early May 2011. After the birth of the baby, I will begin a new MS therapy. The docs think Tysabri is the way to go, but we have not finalized a new path yet.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Oct 20, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (whole body ache, tiredness, fever/chills)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I did have a mild flare up a few months ago - Optic neuritis strikes again! It was mild and more of an annoyance than anything. Didn't have to do the steroid treatment because is wasn't extremely disruptive to my day-to-day activities. When I met with my doc a couple of weeks ago she expressed that it was a good thing I was sticking with the Avonex. In spite of the flare up, after reviewing the most recent MRI results and talking with me she feels that the Avonex IS working.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Feb 25, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (whole body ache, tiredness, fever/chills)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Eating a meal right after the injection has helped minimize my side effects. Also taking the max dosage of Tylenol or Advil right before the injection and often 3-4 hours later have helped to manage the side effects. I schedule my injections for a time when there is the least amount of other activity planned. This way, if I do have a crappy reaction I can veg out, have a lazy day and just relax. After a year and half using Avonex the times when I experience side effects are very infrequent.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Jan 11, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (whole body ache, fever/chills)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I take my shot on Fridays between 5:30pm and 7:30pm. Then I stay home and have a lazy evening and Saturday morning. Usually by Saturday afternoon I feel normal again and still have a weekend. I take 3 extra strength Tylenol 30 mins. before injection and again 3 hours later. I have found that a solid meal after the injection is necessary for controlling my side effects. A few times I had uncontrollable chills - the heating pad was the only thing that helped ease them. I don't know if it's really working or not but I haven't had any flare ups since I started the treatment so I feel optimistic about the treatment.
Side effects: tiredness, fever/chills, whole body ache

Jan 7, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (whole body ache, fever/chills)
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Since beginning with Avonex about 9 mos. ago I haven't had any relapse. I assume that means the meds are doing their job. I control the side effects easily by staying well hydrated, taking Tylenol before the injection and have a meal shortly after the injection. After first few months side effects are less frequent.

Showing 10 of 28 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection