4 patient evaluations for Prednisone taken for the purpose of 'systemic lupus erythematosus' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Major

102 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Feb 17, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Moderate (for inflammation)
    Major (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (fluid retention weight gain, bruise easily, high blood pressure (hypertension), weight gain, puffy face)
Advice & Tips: BP is high..need to taper down

Feb 12, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for inflammation)
    Major (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fluid retention weight gain, bruise easily, high blood pressure (hypertension), weight gain, puffy face)
Advice & Tips: This drug is a double edged sword. It has controlled my symptoms better than any other drug. But the long term usage (8years) has suppressed my adrenals to the point that they make the taper very difficult. I am at 25 mg. and going to try a very slow taper of .5mg/month. Any faster and the withdrawal symptoms are so difficult. I will talk to my doctor this week about whether I need to add methotrexate before attempting the taper. The less prednisone I take the more pain med I require.

Jan 12, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This has been the only drug that has improved my quality of life. It is the biggest help for pain. BUT...I was put on it and not tapered off until my body had become totally dependent and my adrenal glands suppressed for too long and will not work now. I personally believe I now have adrenal insufficiency from being on prednisone way too long. I am hoping the appt I have with a new Rheumatologist will provide some fresh approach and answers. IF I taper down more than 1/2mg over 1-2 weeks I have a major flare. Can not think, hard to function and move. Right now I am on 20mg.

Jan 10, 2011 (Started Jul 20, 2007)

Major (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Mild (puffy face)
Advice & Tips: I HAD NO PROBLEM TAKING THE TABLETS APART FROM THEM TASTING DISGUSTING. PREDNISONE HELPED BY TAKING SOME OF THE INFLAMATION AWAY THEREFORE I WASN'T IN AS MUCH PAIN. THE ONLY PROBLEM OR SIDE EFFECT THAT I HAD WAS THAT I GAINED WEIGHT & MY FACE BLOW UP LIKE A PUFFER FISH & LOOKED VERY ROUND. I WAS ON PREDNISONE FOR YEARS WELL SINCE 2007 & IT WAS A GREAT INFLAMATORY BUT I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN CHANGED TO METHOTREXATE WHICH IS A STEP UP FROM PREDNISONE & ONLY TO BE TAKEN ONCE A WEEK INSTEAD OF EVERY DAY. I AM ON HEAPS OF TABLETS MORNING NOON & NIGHT SO I DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS OR WAS PUT OUT FOR TAKING THESE TABLETS. THEY ARE A VERY TINY TABLET SO THEY WON'T GET STUCK IN YOUR THROAT.
Side effects: puffy face

Dec 6, 2010 (Started Apr 01, 2009)

• Side effects

Mar 7, 2007 (Started Mar 07, 2007)

Major (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain)
Advice & Tips: I take Prednisone when I flare and taper off of it over 12 days.
Side effects: weight gain

Showing 4 of 4 patient evaluations for Prednisone