13 patient evaluations for Topiramate taken for the purpose of 'Epilepsy' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Moderate

tootse
Portrait_default_thumb
tootse
  • Age: 48y
  • Duration: 33 yrs
  • Physical: Mild
Surgery type: Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS)
5 seizures
88 weeks ago

See tootse's full Topiramate history

Mar 8, 2014 (Started Jul 29, 2005)

• Side Effects: Mild
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: I have to take topomax reg DAW because the generic topomax causes me to have , pedimal seizures . No matter what the dr, or insurance co. tells you , the generic is not as safe , always found out many times with other meds .

coco72
36519-thumb
coco72
  • Duration: ? yrs
? seizures

See coco72's full Topiramate history

Jul 19, 2011 (Started Jun 19, 2009)

• Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: I notice that my hair is falling out. I am very spacey. It does help control my seizures so I do take this, with the side effects.
Side effects: Hair loss, Spaced out

BrainStorm
  • Mental: Moderate
4 seizures
45 weeks ago

See BrainStorm's full Topiramate history

Jun 16, 2011 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

• Side Effects: Mild
  • Burden: A little
Advice & Tips: I stopped Topamax (generic) in January when my neuro put me on generic keppra. There has not been any improvement with that drug and I do not like the effects of it. Neuro has started me on Topamax again. 06/14/11 I began taking 1/2 caplet of topamax at bedtime along with my regular dose of 4 dilantin and 2 keppra. Gradually I will build the dose up to 2 tablets of topamax daily with 4 dilantin (as before) and stop the keppra. Wish me luck! My meds are all generic prices.
Side effects: Suicidal thoughts (free floating), Trouble spelling, Suicidal thoughts (emotionally backed), Numbness in hands, Feeling of heart pounding, Night cramps in legs and feet

Jan 10, 2011 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

• Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Manage: I took Topamax 2x daily. 1 in the morning with food and 1 in the evening with supper. 2. Benefits: It made lose weight. 3. Impact: Learning to adjust to it's side effects.

Jun 24, 2010 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

• Perceived effectiveness for Epilepsy: Can’t tell
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: 1.Manage: Inform and prepare yourself for this drug. If you are experienced with taking medications you may manage well with it. If you are a weak person, you may want to try something else. 2. Benefits: Weight loss and it keeps it off. Please do not use this drug for weight loss!! It might sharpen your cognitive or judgment skills but it's only temporary. Then they may become clouded. 3. Impact: Food flavor may suddenly change. There will be times when you are sleeping that you will awake to your heart pounding in your chest...feeling of impending doom, thoughts of being sicker than you really are and ideas of suicide are side effects you may experience with this drug. Brand name or generic it is a high priced drug.

Jun 22, 2010 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

• Perceived effectiveness for Epilepsy: Can’t tell
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Topamax helped me drop weight but that's not why I agreed to take it. I wanted to be seizure free! And the spells stopped for 6 months but then they started up again. One must be very careful when using this drug because it has many side effects. I have learned to recognize them and distinguish the difference between me and the drug but the most bothersome and hardest to cope with is the sudden rush of my heart pounding on my chest. It scares me to death. I think it's time for me to get off this drug. Please be careful if you use this drug. It's also very expensive in generic brand too.

NewportNews
17703-thumb
NewportNews
  • Age: 50y
  • Duration: 28 yrs
217 weeks ago

See NewportNews's full Topiramate history

Oct 27, 2010 (Started Jan 01, 2004)

• Perceived effectiveness for Epilepsy: Moderate
  • Side Effects: Severe
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Hearing loss is becoming more obvious, vision problems are rapidly becoming a problem also. itching of my larger skin areas is an unusual and new problem that could maybe be due to Topamax or the antidepressant Prozac, unsure about this. I have had terrible crying jags and depression over inappropriate issues in the last year or so that was assumed to be due to my aging process, but was recently debunked by a hormonal test. I therefore believe that the Topamax is a more likely suspect.
Side effects: Weight loss, Blurry vision, Hearing problems, Unexplained itching, Unexplained itching

Feb 15, 2010 (Started Jan 01, 2004)

• Perceived effectiveness for Epilepsy: Major
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: The side effects of Topamax are really tough, but not as tough as others, and certainly not as tough as beating the heck out of yourself and frying your brain during a seizure. I never miss a dose, if I do, I could really end up hurting myself. I take it as exactly to the minute as I can, I do the same with all my meds, and for the last several years since I have been doing this, my seizures have been much less invasive into my life. I also NEVER NEVER take generic epilepsy medication. It must be brand always! Generic is NOT the same, no matter who insists that it is. I can take generic on other medication, but generic Topamax allowed me to have 3 months of severe cluster seizures last year.

kack73
17829-thumb
kack73
  • Age: 40y
  • Duration: 26 yrs
166 weeks ago

See kack73's full Topiramate history

Oct 13, 2010 (Started Jan 01, 2000)

• Burden: Not at all
Side effects: Bumps on face

minnkels
  • Physical: None
2 seizures
110 weeks ago

See minnkels's full Topiramate history

Jul 16, 2010 (Started Jun 23, 2010)

• Perceived effectiveness for Increase effect of another treatment: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Migraine headaches: Major
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Take at same time each day. Works best as an "add on " treatment for other treatments, my doctor added it to Keppra when I was still having seizures and it seemed to help calm them down somewhat. One unusual side benefit of this drug is that if you want to lose weight, Toprimate is definitely one that dampens the appetite, though its not so great if you are already thin or underweight like I was....I have to remind myself to eat. Oh, and if you are prone to kidney stones, watch out....this medication can provoke you in forming more of them. An unexpected good benefit of this drug is that it seems to make me have less desire for nictoine....a good thing for someone who wants to stop smoking!

henningrl
Portrait_default_thumb
henningrl
  • Duration: 15 yrs
5 seizures
57 weeks ago

See henningrl's full Topiramate history

May 6, 2010 (Started May 05, 2008)

• Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Talk to your doctor about the weight loss affect, appetite loss. It can be a problem. Especially if you are small to begin with.
Side effects: Weight loss

suevand72
26201-thumb
suevand72
  • Duration: 25 yrs
144 weeks ago
I am: n

See suevand72's full Topiramate history

Apr 22, 2010 (Started Jun 20, 2007)

• Burden: A little
Advice & Tips: the positive side effect of this med. is that I have lost some weight from it. But that is the only good part. I waqs on another med and gained weight because of it until my body became sick even though I was on a diet. Ever since I was put on this med about 10 months after I started having seizures after being seizure free for almost 10 years. A side effect I noticed right away with this med. was tingling in hands and feet, which even 3 years later I still get that. Itjust resurfaced about 3 weeks ago, when the last time I had them was when my dr. put me on the med. & when he upped it. He has not upped it and I don't have poor circulation. It can happen when you are walking like it did me. Of course there are the normal drowsiness,etc. But I did notice this med. does mimic the same symptoms as menopause, which I might be dealing with. My dr. that put me on this med. has hard time thinking that is true & didn't want to investigate my other symptoms I was having around the time of my seizures. Instead he just upped the med. which didn't help. Made my headaches even worse. Now I have a different dr. who is running alot of tests my other dr. didn't. I also have to investigate the fact the this med can cause a decrease in white blood cells. I don't know if that is true in my case, but it might help understand why some of my hormone levels might be coming out normal when I know there is something going on or wrong. I found that out in a book about side effects to meds. This med. currently doesn't control my seizures by itself, so I do not think it is very effctive for grand mal seizures like I have. I also have a very active life and it just doesn't fit in with my life, because I would and currently have to take more med. to try and control the seizures. That's not good for myself or my family. And my Family comes first. They rely on mom for everything.

victorialp
20220-thumb
victorialp
  • Age: 38y
  • Duration: 26 yrs
212 weeks ago

See victorialp's full Topiramate history

Mar 23, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2006)

• Perceived effectiveness for Bipolar Disorder: Moderate
  • Adherence: Usually
  • Burden: Very
Side effects: Rhinitis (nasal inflammation), Memory problems

Hotflash
19465-thumb
Hotflash
  • Age: 53y
  • Duration: 9 yrs
203 weeks ago

See Hotflash's full Topiramate history

Mar 9, 2010 (Started Jan 09, 2005)

• Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: All Foods will Taste Different If you Drink Colas You might switch ti Dr Pepper for awhile
Side effects: Body Hair Loss

Showing 10 of 13 patient evaluations for Topiramate