7 patient evaluations for Topiramate taken for the purpose of 'migraine headaches' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Slight

68 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Mar 15, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2011)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Mild (withdrawal effects, insomnia, anxious mood, agitation)
Advice & Tips: I started taking as needed then, realized that it could be contributing to what I believe (self-diagnosed) was Serotonin Syndrome which, combined with everything else I was taking. If you find your condition (of any type) suddenly worse (within minutes or hours), start by asking your doctor about this first. It's taken me a year worth of specialists (who found nothing), psych tests (which proved I wasn't 'making it up'), and SELF RESEARCH to realize my problem. Miraculously, at least the symptoms that have been plaguing me since EXACTLY April of 2012 have gotten about 75% better within about 4 days. It happened so fast, I thought I had had a stroke or was going insane. Don't let this happen to you.

Jul 21, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2011)

Major (for Prevent migraine)
    Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Mild (withdrawal effects, insomnia, anxious mood, agitation)
Advice & Tips: Helps when taken. My prescription ran out a few days ago and I haven't gone into the drugstore yet. Will be starting dose again soon. 8/2/12 Pharmacy informs me I haven't refilled since May. Oops!

Jun 30, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2011)

Major (for Prevent migraine)
    Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects

May 1, 2012 (Started Jul 14, 2010)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
    None (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (mean feelings)

Sep 1, 2011 (Started Jan 01, 2009)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (memory loss)
Advice & Tips: I urge all people who are taking, or are thinking of taking, this drug to stop immediately. I am a 28 year-old woman who was prescribed this drug for migraines before the lupus, MS, and hypothyroidism was diagnosed. The side effects of Topiramate are SO severe - I have lost significant portions of my memory, and even though I stopped the drug six months ago, the memories are not coming back. I not only cannot remember graduate coursework, but I have forgotten sentimental moments with my loved one, forgotten people who I used to know, and still have cognitive difficulties. PLEASE do not take this drug. It really didn't help with my migraines either, but I stayed on the drug because I was afraid of weight gain, and was just used to the status quo of taking it everyday (and none of my doctors ever told me to stop). I know the drug is also prescribed for epilepsy and to assist people to quit smoking, but I urge you to evaluate why you need it. If you are taking it for migraines or to quit smoking, don't take it... I think the chance of getting lung cancer is better than living as an amnesiac.

Dec 31, 2010 (Started Aug 15, 2010)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
    Slight (for borderline personality disorder)
  • Side effects

Nov 4, 2010 (Started Oct 17, 2010)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (drowsiness)
Side effects: drowsiness

Oct 1, 2009 (Started Oct 17, 2003)

• Side effects

Apr 8, 2009 (Started Mar 04, 2009)

None (for fibromyalgia)
    None (for nerve pain (neuralgia))
    Slight (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (sleepiness, hands tingling, feet tingling, tremor in hands, nausea)
Advice & Tips: I will ask to quit this because for me it hasn't prevented the migraines enough....ended up at doctor's office yesterday for a shot for one.....and the side effects lost me a month of activity.
Side effects: feet tingling, hands tingling, tremor in hands, nausea, brain fog, sleepiness

Showing 7 of 7 patient evaluations for Topiramate