5 patient evaluations for Amitriptyline taken for the purpose of 'depressed mood' with a perceived effectiveness rating of None

17 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jun 29, 2011 (Started Sep 29, 2010)

• Side effects

Mar 1, 2011 (Started Jul 16, 2010)

None (for fibromyalgia)
  • Side effects

Dec 13, 2010 (Started Nov 29, 2010)

None (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Severe (headaches, anger, drowsiness, nausea and vomiting, feeling out of it, dizziness upon moving, increased or worsened depression, alternating constipation and diarrhea, dry mouth, excessive sweating)
Advice & Tips: I experienced depression when I titrated up to 200 mg on the Lamictal XR which made me pretty useless and wasn't going away so I called my doctor and asked him for some Zoloft which worked wonders for me in the past. Imagine my surprise when he instead called in a precription for the generic form of Elavil. AWFUL medication!!! Worsened my depression, constant dry mouth, made me want to sleep all the time, caused me to be angry all the time. Caused me to have a couple of myoclonic seizures; that was enough for me. Titrated myself off the medicine. Did some research on it; found out that the tricyclic antidepressants actually tend to have more probability of causing seizures than do the SSRI's. The neurologist is probably going to be upset I took myself off the medicine, but I'd rather be depressed than live with the side effects of Elavil. Advice to anyone who is depressed and wants to try a med to control it--stay away from this drug. It seems to have a great deal of side effects, takes WEEKS to kick in, and can induce seizures even in people who don't have epilepsy. If I still feel this way when I see the doctor next month, I'll be asking for some Zoloft or other anti-depressant with less evil side effects!
Side effects: dry mouth, nausea and vomiting, anger, increased or worsened depression, feeling out of it, alternating constipation and diarrhea, headaches, dizziness upon moving, excessive sweating, drowsiness

Oct 10, 2009 (Started Oct 10, 2009)

None (for fibromyalgia)
    None (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Severe (mood changes)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: This medication changed my moods to very negative - very moody, and fiesty- After a week had to come off them as wold have murdered someone.
Side effects: mood changes

May 11, 2009 (Started Feb 25, 2009)

Moderate (for insomnia)
    None (for chronic pain)
Side effects: drug interaction with Neurontin, shakiness

Apr 13, 2009 (Started Feb 25, 2009)

Slight (for insomnia)
    None (for chronic pain)
  • Side effects
    Mild (shakiness, drug interaction with Neurontin)
Side effects: drug interaction with Neurontin, shakiness