18 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine taken for the purpose of 'depressed mood' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Slight

99 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jul 1, 2015 (Started Jul 01, 2014)

None (for post-traumatic stress disorder)
Advice & Tips: can't remember details

Aug 15, 2013 (Started Dec 30, 2012)

Slight (for generalized anxiety disorder)
    Slight (for social anxiety disorder)
    Slight (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (sweaty hands, night sweats)

Mar 1, 2013 (Started Jun 03, 2011)

Slight (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (sexual dysfunction)
Advice & Tips: Very difficult to withdraw from. Made me sexually promiscuous, a little known side effect.

Jan 7, 2013 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

Can't tell (for anorexia nervosa)
    Slight (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Severe (feeling faint (presyncope), brain zaps, orthostatic postural hypotension, heart palpitations, night sweats, memory lapses (brain blinks), temperature dysregulation, dizziness)
Advice & Tips: Be very careful of this drug. It worked for a while but stopping me falling into the deep lows, but having come off it I realised it has been like living through a fog the last 4 years. I have been sleepwalking and I am just waking up. I can feel a whole range of emotions, happiness even, that was hazed in gray before. The side effects of coming off them were horrible, but worth it to Feel again. I felt dizzy, drunk, I slurred and my depth perception was off. I lost balance and images seemed to flicker, I couldn't always tell if the ground was level, I forgot things easily, lost my train of thought, felt disconnected and at times euphoric but countered by the instability. Now I am calming down, I found my energy is up so much, insomnia came back but I don't care, I can stay awake more than 6 hours and I can do things without feeling so tired. I am more productive, more creative and just more Me now that I am off them. Only take anti depressants when you have no other safe choice. I was at that point, but I was so low I was bullied into by the doctors, I believe in learning to live with and recognise my symptoms so I can get help. I want to try natural remedies in future if I get into a Low again because just not feeling the acute despair was not worth giving up feeling everything else for.
Side effects: night sweats, feeling faint (presyncope), orthostatic postural hypotension, brain zaps, dizziness, heart palpitations, temperature dysregulation, memory lapses (brain blinks)

Jun 30, 2011 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
    Moderate (for depressed mood)
    Slight (for anorexia (appetite loss))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: WARNING: There are SERIOUS withdrawal symptoms from missing a dose and discontinuing this drug. I seriously recommend talking to your GP about side effects and withdrawal symptoms before considering this treatment and to take into account your reliability for taking the drugs on time!

Nov 17, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

Can't tell (for anorexia (appetite loss))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (feeling faint (presyncope), brain zaps, orthostatic postural hypotension, heart palpitations, night sweats, temperature dysregulation, dizziness)

Oct 13, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Forgetting to take my medication is the main problem as the withdrawal symptoms are severe, 'brain zaps' dizziness, lightheadedness, problems focusing, slurred speak, slight visual impairment, heart palpitations and confusion. When I am taking it regularly it does not improve my mood, but prevents me from falling into severe lows; I feel as though I am hit a safety net a neutral or slight low rather than spiralling into severe depression.

Oct 11, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Side effects

Sep 7, 2012 (Started Aug 16, 2012)

Slight (for generalized anxiety disorder)
  • Side effects

Jun 24, 2011 (Started May 25, 2011)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I had increased fatigue with this drug. After telling my neurologist about it, he suggested changing to Cymbalta. I'll give that a try.

Mar 14, 2011 (Started Mar 14, 2011)

None (for dystonia)
    Slight (for depressed mood)
    Slight (for anxious mood)
  • Side effects

Dec 31, 2010 (Started May 07, 2010)

Slight (for depressed mood)
    None (for phobic disorder)
  • Side effects

Jul 26, 2010 (Started Sep 20, 2008)

Slight (for depressed mood)
    Slight (for short term memory problems)
  • Side effects

Apr 19, 2010 (Started Sep 20, 2008)

Major (for depressed mood)
    Moderate (for short term memory problems)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: 1. took at night, no problems. 2. made me feel more awake and energized, helped me sleep more. did not however remove any symptoms just helped a little. 3. helped my thought process, slowed my rambling thoughts, helped me remember stuff and calmed my nerves.

Mar 1, 2009 (Started Sep 20, 2008)

Major (for depressed mood)
    Major (for short term memory problems)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: The best thing ever for depression, confusion, memory loss! This is equally as important as Lyrica!

Jun 2, 2010 (Started Mar 15, 2010)

Slight (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence))
Advice & Tips: Dr. had me stop this and go to the 150mg XR capsuel
Side effects: excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence)

Showing 10 of 18 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine