5 patient evaluations for Hydroxychloroquine taken for the purpose of 'systemic lupus erythematosus' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Moderate

206 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jul 7, 2012 (Started May 01, 2009)

Moderate (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Mild (diarrhea, skin rash)
Advice & Tips: After a few months of break from this drug, my new rheumatologist wants me back on it. So far, no side effects like last time.

Apr 19, 2012 (Started May 01, 2009)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Mild (diarrhea, skin rash)
Advice & Tips: I started taking hydroxychloroquine as soon as I was diagnosed with lupus. I had a lesion on my nose (a white bump) that disappeared after a month of taking the drug (the bump had been there for over a year). I had hives when I started the drug (dosage 200mg) and my doctor told me to take the drug every other day until my body got used to it. Once the hives ended, I started taking it everyday, and after a year, my dosage was increased to 400 mg. At the highest, I took 600mg, but only for 6 months, and the dosage was decreased again to 400 mg, which I took for 3 years. I just stopped the drug 2 weeks ago on my own, cold-turkey, and have had no adverse reactions. If anything, I feel and look healthier than I have in years.

Mar 31, 2012 (Started Aug 25, 2006)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I have had a consistently low white blood count my entire life. After taking plaquenil, my count began to normalize. I find having an alarm set right before bed time and never moving my pills from my end-table keeps me on track.

Jul 27, 2011 (Started Apr 01, 2011)

Moderate (for rheumatoid arthritis)
    Moderate (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Mild (migraine headaches)
Side effects: migraine headaches

Apr 14, 2011 (Started Dec 07, 2010)

• Side effects

Sep 17, 2009 (Started Aug 20, 2009)

Moderate (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (stomach pain, flatulence)
Advice & Tips: Plaquenil - when I first started it, it was very efiicacious. but did also have immediate side effects of stomach upset, gas, and hair loss. I have decided that the benefits outway the side effects and so am still taking it (200 mg twice a day). my doc did initial blood tests, and also warned me to get eye exams regularaly.
Side effects: stomach pain, hair loss, flatulence

Showing 5 of 5 patient evaluations for Hydroxychloroquine