8 patient evaluations for Divalproex sodium taken for the purpose of 'epilepsy' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Moderate

56 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Aug 20, 2012 (Started Aug 15, 1988)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (generalized anxiety disorder, fatigue, dental problems, weight gain)
Advice & Tips: I find the burden of taking this med very diffucult because I have been on the same med for 25 yrs now and I feel it is not as efficient now as it was 25 yrs ago. It is causing dental issues with my tooth enamel and gums. It causes weight issues even though I eat an extremely healthy diet and am active. In the past 3 yrs, I haven't felt nearly as well as in past yrs. I have recently learned that Drs. no longer perscribe Depakote to children as it may cause depression/suicidal thoughts. I believe I am experiencing feelings of anxiety due to long-term usage. I know there are newer/better medications and don't understand why my neurologist just shrugs me off when I mention the possibility for change.

Aug 2, 2010 (Started Jul 20, 2010)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (stuttering)
Advice & Tips: I did not tolerate this very well.I had a gait disturbance and very pronounced stutter while taking this.I also started itching about 45 minutes after taking medicine for about 2 weeks.

Jul 25, 2010 (Started Dec 30, 2009)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I take this medication every single day like prescribed because don't like having a seizure. It's helping me from having several seizures a day to quite a few in the week.

Jun 28, 2010 (Started Jun 28, 2010)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fluid retention weight gain, weight gain)
Dosage: 1000 mg One time
Advice & Tips: Depakote is also known as valproic acid - you can get you insurance to cover it on a name brand and name brand is better and has other effects then yhe off brand.. i got real sick on the off brand .. i have generalized seizures and my seirures can not handle the off brand ... so if you have your neuo submit paper work stating this is true for you for you as well your insurance will cover you. Then take the paper work to your pharmacy. Then they submit it for you and all you have to pay is a copay.
Side effects: weight gain, fluid retention weight gain

May 4, 2010 (Started Apr 28, 2010)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (sleepiness)
Advice & Tips: i get so tired in the afternoon......
Side effects: sleepiness

Apr 7, 2010 (Started Jan 01, 1992)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (chronic diarrhea)
Advice & Tips: It has caused severe diarrhea ever since I started taking it.
Side effects: chronic diarrhea

Dec 30, 2009 (Started Jan 01, 1992)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (chronic diarrhea)
Advice & Tips: It has caused fatigue, an increase in weight and massive amounts of diahhrea. In contrast, os all medications I have taken for seizures it controls them the best for me.
Side effects: chronic diarrhea

Jan 13, 2010 (Started Feb 02, 2009)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain)
Advice & Tips: The medication worked well but the weight gain was not good for me so if you have a weight problem to the heavy side you need to be very cause with how you take this and how your diet is monitored.

Oct 15, 2007 (Started Mar 15, 2007)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
    Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (decreased appetite, loss of manual dexterity, unintentional weight loss, hair loss, excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), loss of balance)

Showing 8 of 8 patient evaluations for Divalproex sodium