11 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine taken for the purpose of 'major depressive disorder' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Slight

135 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jun 30, 2016 (Started Jan 01, 2006)

Slight (for fibromyalgia)
    Slight (for major depressive disorder)
    Slight (for social anxiety)
  • Side effects
    Mild (constipation)

Jul 1, 2015 (Started Jul 01, 2014)

Slight (for major depressive disorder)
    None (for post-traumatic stress disorder)
Advice & Tips: can't remember details

Jun 24, 2015 (Started Mar 15, 2013)

Slight (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (weight gain)

Jul 16, 2014 (Started Sep 13, 2010)

None (for anxious mood)
    Moderate (for depressed mood)
    None (for generalized anxiety disorder)
    Slight (for major depressive disorder)
    None (for obsessive-compulsive disorder)
    Can't tell (for phobic disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (metallic taste in mouth, weight gain, dry mouth, headaches)
Advice & Tips: I have tried many antidepressants (all SSRI's) with little or no effect. This medication seems to be the best so far.
Side effects: metallic taste in mouth

Jan 7, 2013 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

Can't tell (for anorexia nervosa)
    Slight (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Severe (dizziness, temperature dysregulation, memory lapses (brain blinks), night sweats, heart palpitations, orthostatic hypotension, brain shocks, feeling faint (presyncope))
Advice & Tips: Be very careful of this drug. It worked for a while but stopping me falling into the deep lows, but having come off it I realised it has been like living through a fog the last 4 years. I have been sleepwalking and I am just waking up. I can feel a whole range of emotions, happiness even, that was hazed in gray before. The side effects of coming off them were horrible, but worth it to Feel again. I felt dizzy, drunk, I slurred and my depth perception was off. I lost balance and images seemed to flicker, I couldn't always tell if the ground was level, I forgot things easily, lost my train of thought, felt disconnected and at times euphoric but countered by the instability. Now I am calming down, I found my energy is up so much, insomnia came back but I don't care, I can stay awake more than 6 hours and I can do things without feeling so tired. I am more productive, more creative and just more Me now that I am off them. Only take anti depressants when you have no other safe choice. I was at that point, but I was so low I was bullied into by the doctors, I believe in learning to live with and recognise my symptoms so I can get help. I want to try natural remedies in future if I get into a Low again because just not feeling the acute despair was not worth giving up feeling everything else for.
Side effects: brain shocks, night sweats, feeling faint (presyncope), orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, heart palpitations, temperature dysregulation, memory lapses (brain blinks)

Jun 30, 2011 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
    Moderate (for depressed mood)
    Slight (for anorexia (appetite loss))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: WARNING: There are SERIOUS withdrawal symptoms from missing a dose and discontinuing this drug. I seriously recommend talking to your GP about side effects and withdrawal symptoms before considering this treatment and to take into account your reliability for taking the drugs on time!

Nov 17, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

Can't tell (for anorexia (appetite loss))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dizziness, temperature dysregulation, night sweats, heart palpitations, orthostatic hypotension, brain shocks, feeling faint (presyncope))

Oct 13, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Forgetting to take my medication is the main problem as the withdrawal symptoms are severe, 'brain zaps' dizziness, lightheadedness, problems focusing, slurred speak, slight visual impairment, heart palpitations and confusion. When I am taking it regularly it does not improve my mood, but prevents me from falling into severe lows; I feel as though I am hit a safety net a neutral or slight low rather than spiralling into severe depression.

Oct 11, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Side effects

Sep 7, 2012 (Started Aug 16, 2012)

Slight (for generalized anxiety disorder)
  • Side effects

Jul 9, 2012 (Started Jul 01, 2010)

Slight (for major depressive disorder)
    None (for generalized anxiety disorder)
    None (for persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia))
  • Side effects
    Mild (sleepiness)
Advice & Tips: I have a pill box that is divided for AM and PM dosages. Two together made me sleepy, took 1 in AM, waited 6 hrs took other pill.

Nov 15, 2011 (Started Oct 02, 2012)

Moderate (for depressed mood)
    Moderate (for generalized anxiety disorder)
  • Side effects

Dec 31, 2010 (Started May 07, 2010)

Slight (for depressed mood)
    None (for phobic disorder)
  • Side effects

Dec 10, 2009 (Started Aug 12, 2008)

Slight (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Severe (decreased appetite, decreased sex drive (libido), suicidal thoughts or urges, drowsiness)
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: I was always tired and sluggish and it did not help the depression.
Side effects: drowsiness, suicidal thoughts or urges, decreased sex drive (libido), decreased appetite

Oct 21, 2009 (Started Aug 12, 2008)

Slight (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (decreased appetite, decreased sex drive (libido), suicidal thoughts or urges, drowsiness)
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily

Sep 22, 2009 (Started Aug 12, 2008)

Slight (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (decreased appetite, decreased sex drive (libido), suicidal thoughts or urges, drowsiness)
Advice & Tips: I started on 75 mg the up to 150 then up to 225 mg. All XR once daily. It did stop my panic and anxiety but I had no energy and felt sleepy most of the day until when I went to bed. Then I felt awake. So now down to 75 mg XR and 300mg of Wellbutrin XR that is much more effective fore me. I have more energy and don't feel drugged as on Effexor. But everyone reacts differently.

Aug 27, 2009 (Started Aug 12, 2008)

Slight (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (decreased appetite, suicidal thoughts or urges, drowsiness)
Advice & Tips: It is very hard to get off Effexor so I would try other AD treatments first.

Aug 21, 2009 (Started Aug 12, 2008)

None (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Effewir just didn't work for me. I felt sluggish and tired all the time.

Showing 10 of 11 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine