5 patient evaluations for Modafinil taken for the purpose of 'multiple sclerosis' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Major

39 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Dec 2, 2015 (Started Apr 06, 2006)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Provigil gives me energy to do my daily chores i.e. fixing meals, laundry, showering. I have no side efffects! The generic modafinil is the same as Provigil and much less expensive!

Sep 10, 2014 (Started Feb 28, 2013)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Great for people like me..Help you use your brain for positive effects.

Feb 10, 2014 (Started Feb 28, 2013)

• Side effects

Aug 19, 2014 (Started Nov 01, 2006)

• Side effects

Oct 14, 2008 (Started Nov 01, 2006)

Advice & Tips: would be jello without it

Feb 14, 2012 (Started Aug 03, 2008)

Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (increased energy)
Advice & Tips: I wish I still could.... It is an amazing thing that gets me through my day. Had an abnormal EKG and chest pain- Dr. said to put on hold

Mar 15, 2009 (Started Apr 01, 2004)

Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (dry eyes, dry mouth, insomnia, hallucinations)
Advice & Tips: Be very careful if you take Provigil/Modafinil. I took it from 2004-2009 with no terrible side effects, just dry eyes and dry mouth, and some days I didn't sleep at all. But once my neurologist upped my dosage to double the amount, I began having voices in my head. If you read about the side effects of this medicine, it states that hallucinations may occur. Well, they did. I went bat-shit crazy. My husband had me committed to an area loony bin for 5 days so he could go to work, and not have to watch me every minute. They readjusted my meds, put me on some other stuff to calm me down, and released me back into society. I still had the voices in my head, telling me wacky things. I had follow-up appointments with a shrink and a counselor. I was really skinny until the shrink put me on antidepressants, then I ballooned up, way up. He wanted to keep me on those drugs forever, but I got off them after a few months. I didn't like being on meds that kept me from being able to have a beer or a glass of wine. And, I still had the voices in my head. Those meds did nothing for that. The psychiatrist told me I would have the voices with me forever. Well, I got lucky. My brother knew the hell I was going through, and he was planning a weekend at a lake and decided to invite me and my husband along for some good ol' R&R. Sitting on the dock of the bay, er, lake, watching the water lick the stones, I noticed it was quiet. Wait, what? Finally?! Yes! That's what I needed! Peace! Nature! Not drugs! After 18 gruelling months of having voices yell at me, bitch at me, order me around, tell me to do utterly stupid things (I turned off the water heater before my husband got home from work, so when he tried to take a shower, all he had was cold water. Tell me to get in my truck and drive to the DMV and take off my license plates and turn them in...I did not do that! I only got part way there and couldn't get the plate off. Totally idiotic stuff! There's a lot more, worse stuff, some I don't even remember, my husband tells me things that I did, and I am just dumbfounded.) The moral of the story is be very careful! and don't double the dose!!

Showing 5 of 5 patient evaluations for Modafinil