7 patient evaluations for Carbamazepine taken for the purpose of 'epilepsy' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Can’t tell

35 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jul 11, 2017 (Started Apr 29, 1986)

Can’t tell (for epilepsy)
    Can’t tell (for seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
    Mild (eating disorder)
Dosage: 300 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: It may have helped to control my complex-partial seizure but my MD has been trying to gradually reduce the dose over a long time.

Nov 18, 2010 (Started Apr 29, 1986)

Can’t tell (for seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (eating disorder)

Mar 14, 2015 (Started Jan 15, 2015)

Can’t tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (numbness in hands, poor lip closure, dizziness/walking like I'm drunk)
Dosage: 200 mg Twice daily

May 14, 2013 (Started Jan 01, 2001)

Moderate (for seizures)
  • Side effects

Jun 20, 2012 (Started Jan 01, 2001)

Moderate (for seizures)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: My wife sets out all my medications. otherwise I know that I would forget often. Have someone help remind you.

May 26, 2012 (Started May 07, 2012)

Can’t tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (heavy sensation, dizziness)

Feb 9, 2008 (Started Feb 08, 2008)

Can’t tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (rashes (redness, swelling))
Advice & Tips: It caused my throat to go totally raw and caused me to become ill within one day of taking it...
Side effects: rashes (redness, swelling)

Sep 15, 2007 (Started Jul 01, 2001)

Can’t tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (loss of thirst, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, low white blood cell count (leukopenia), low testosterone, uveitis, lactose intolerance, non-celiac gluten intolerance, food allergy, loss of appetite, loss of thirst, iritis)
Advice & Tips: I became much less lucid and had major difficulties carrying out everyday activities. I had to stop work.

Sep 15, 2006 (Started Jul 01, 2001)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (loss of thirst, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, low white blood cell count (leukopenia), uveitis, lactose intolerance, non-celiac gluten intolerance, food allergy, loss of appetite, loss of thirst, iritis)
Advice & Tips: Owing to escalating food intolerances, I asked consultant if drugs could be withdrawn. They suggested I switched to Oxycarbazepine.

Oct 4, 1996 (Started Apr 16, 1992)

Can’t tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (difficulty thinking)
Advice & Tips: 1) If you request a surgical evaluation and the doctor (in my case, Robert Gumnit, M.D.) refuses to let you out of the hospital forcing you to take more medication, get off of it if you can still think. If you cannot think another person will have to get you off of it and file a lawsuit in less than two years for you to have a chance to have a regular life again. 2) Over twenty percent of mothers I have talked with believe that "doctors know everything" and will not help their children survive. (And about 7000 deaths each year in the 1990s were due to a doctor killing a patient.) Make sure the person watching over you when you try a new medication will take action and not leave you a "zombie" (a nurse who told me I was within two days of death and my Dilantin count was up to 36.6 while getting off of Tegretol following the doctor's orders. 3) When I used over 500 mg/day of Tegretol, I could not think at all. When I got under 200 mg/day, then I regained control of my life. It was three years after my right hip shattered that I learned the Tegretol did that.
Side effects: difficulty thinking

Showing 7 of 7 patient evaluations for Carbamazepine