2 patient evaluations for Lithium Carbonate taken for the purpose of 'Bipolar I Disorder' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Major

marathoner452
Distress: Low
I am: g
Bipolar I

See marathoner452's full Lithium Carbonate history

May 27, 2015 (Started Nov 04, 2009)

• Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: I should add that shortly after that last evaluation I ended up in the hospital so perhaps I wasn't doing so well as I thought. That was almost 4 years ago, however, and I am doing much better. Sometimes I'm even able to forget about my illness, except for the meds and therapy and pdoc visits. I've been at my job for 5 years, full time for 3. I've been in a steady relationship for 2 1/2 years. I'm even working on going back to teaching, possibly in an urban setting. I'm where I never thought I would be 6 years ago, healthier than I've probably been my entire life.
Side effects: Muscle twitching (fasciculations), Tremor in hands, Tiredness, Problems concentrating, Excessive thirst (polydipsia), Word fishing

Jul 9, 2011 (Started Nov 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Bipolar II Disorder: Moderate
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Lithium's been the one constant in all my med changes over the past couple years. The dose goes up and down but it's always there and for that I'm grateful. My mood swings are for the most part manageable and much less frightening. If I get stare at the ceiling depressed it lasts the weekend not for months. Manias are mild and involve lots of projects and irritability but for the most part they're still fun. Anxiety is still an issue but it always will be. Hand tremors are easily controlled with Inderal. Sometimes it's unnerving though to think that a lot of what stands between the life I've created and falling apart is a few peach capsules. I'm careful to keep my meds close.

May 7, 2010 (Started Nov 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Bipolar Disorder: Moderate
  • Side Effects: Moderate
  • Burden: Somewhat
Advice & Tips: After each increase in dose I am very tired at first. I could sleep well at night and take several naps a day and still be tired. Fortunately this goes away after about two weeks. I am one of the lucky ones to not gain any weight. If anything I've lost a few pounds from the nausea and loss of appetite. I read somewhere that lithium changes the chemical composition of your saliva and this might be why I just don't have a taste for much of anything. I do, however, have the classic hand tremors and memory problems. These are more of a problem. I have to say right now that even on a relatively high dose of 1200 mg I don't seem to be getting much if any better. I've been on this dose for 2 1/2 weeks and I still am depressed enough that I don't want to get out of bed, I snap at little stuff like not being able to find my car keys, and I don't like to be around people. So right now it's hard for me to take it because I'm seeing side effects but very little change in my mood. I'm very discouraged.

Apr 8, 2010 (Started Nov 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Bipolar Disorder: Major

Distress: Low
I am: b
Bipolar I

See komodolover's full Lithium Carbonate history

Aug 18, 2011 (Started Jul 12, 2011)

• Side Effects: Moderate