8 patient evaluations for Levetiracetam with a cost of $50-99

46 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jan 24, 2012 (Started Aug 15, 2007)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (ataxia (lack of coordination), decreased appetite, cognitive impairment, difficulty recalling words (dysnomia))
Dosage: 6 tab(s) Daily
Advice & Tips: Take lots of B6 (Pyroxidine HCL) and B12, Keppra depletes your natural stores.

Jan 3, 2012 (Started May 28, 2007)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, rage, hair loss, awkward taste in food, sleepiness, loopy feeling)
Advice & Tips: I take Keppra because I originally started out on Dilantin which hit my liver hard the minute I started taking it. Although Keppra is VERY good at keeping the grand mals away, I have very little time that I feel energetic.

Aug 16, 2011 (Started May 28, 2007)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: While Keppra seems to do a very good job of stopping grand mals in their tracks, I still have quite frequent absence seizures, visual auras, olfactory auras (more often than visual) and serious memory issues. On top of all that, I have fits of rage out of nowhere that can last for up to several hours in which case I stay in my bedroom away from the rest of the family. Even though I have been taking Keppra for years, it STILL makes me groggy, especially if I have to take pain killers of any kind. I have also recently noticed having some problems with things tasting wrong, if not totally disgusting. Foods that I normally love taste gross. I have also lost a lot of hair since I started taking Keppra, but I have to admit it could possibly just be coincidental that I am 52 and just thinning out due to age.

Jul 26, 2011 (Started May 28, 2007)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (weight gain, rage, hair loss, awkward taste in food, sleepiness, loopy feeling)
Advice & Tips: Even though Keppra has worked much better than Dilantin or Topomax, it still makes me tired much of the day and I sometimes have rage issues that are hard to deal with. Oh, and my hair has thinned out since I started taking it, but then again I am 52 and I guess that might be due to aging. =/

Oct 20, 2011 (Started Oct 21, 2008)

Slight (for epilepsy)
Dosage: 2000 mg Daily

Aug 3, 2011 (Started Sep 15, 2005)

Moderate (for seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (balance problems, brain fog, abdominal pain, irritability, drowsiness, morning sleepiness, fluid retention weight gain, lesion like rashes)
Side effects: irritability, balance problems, drowsiness, brain fog, morning sleepiness, fluid retention weight gain, lesion like rashes, abdominal pain

Jul 1, 2011 (Started Sep 15, 2005)

Moderate (for seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
    Severe (balance problems, brain fog, abdominal pain, irritability, drowsiness, morning sleepiness, fluid retention weight gain, lesion like rashes)

Mar 10, 2011 (Started Sep 15, 2005)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Can make you feel tired,slows thinking a little.May cause a little dizziness.Can cause you to feel angry easily.Can adjust to these things if you recognize and work on it.

Dec 2, 2010 (Started Sep 15, 2005)

Slight (for seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This is an expensive medication.I tried the generic version which was much cheaper but also much less reliable on what it would do.Was on generic a few weeks and had break through seizures.Mail in pharmacy sent when it was released as generic.Have had difficulty with seizure control since then even when put back on name brand keppra.Pharmacy also sent generic trileptal in 2009 and since Nov.2009 have had poor seizure control.The FDA may obtain a large portion of tax dollars but due to the wide range of efficiency in generics there are many either above or below effeciency rating of brand named meds.My advice do not switch to generics if you can at all afford the high priced name brand of seizure meds.

Aug 9, 2010 (Started Sep 15, 2005)

Slight (for seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: These pills can make me have flashes of anger.This is not my typical personality or usual mood. I have almost missed a dose but got up and took in the night.I feel they cause a great deal of somnelence probably due to other AEDS also.Trouble with stuttoring,word repetition and phrase repetion,poor spelling,problem with gait/Balance,falls.Brain fog.

Aug 5, 2010 (Started Feb 13, 2010)

• Side effects

Jul 30, 2010 (Started Oct 01, 2008)

• Side effects

Feb 12, 2010 (Started Aug 06, 2007)

• Side effects

Nov 9, 2008 (Started Sep 03, 2007)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Don't even start taking it.
Side effects: balance problems, eyes wander out of sync, glaucoma (both eyes)

Nov 9, 2007 (Started Sep 03, 2007)

Can't tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (balance problems, eyes wander out of sync)
Advice & Tips: Do not even start with Keppra
Side effects: balance problems, eyes wander out of sync, glaucoma (both eyes)

Nov 8, 2007 (Started Sep 03, 2007)

Can't tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (balance problems)
Advice & Tips: When they gave me the initial level to start taking it I had no side effects that I was aware of. I was told it was a dosage belwo therapeutic and after 2 weeks they increased it. By the second day my eyes would not function together. I saw 2 images and it was like the eyes were just wandering around to look at things randomly and continuously. The 2 were not in synch at all and I had no sense of balance to even sit up in a chair without holding on to a desk or something.

Showing 8 of 8 patient evaluations for Levetiracetam