4 patient evaluations for Sodium chlorite with a cost of < $25

17 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Dec 1, 2012 (Started Jan 05, 2012)

Dosage: 200 mg Weekly
Advice & Tips: Performed self injection of sodium chlorite after end of NP001 trial but no longer seemed to be working.

Jun 19, 2012 (Started Jan 05, 2012)

Dosage: 200 mg Weekly
Advice & Tips: On Monday June 18 I self administered my weekly infusion of 4 ml = 200 mg of sodium chlorite. About one hour later I went for my daily 1/2 hour swim. For the first time since starting this swimming program about 3 weeks ago I didn't feel like I was on the verge of drowning, i.e., just barely able to keep my head above water. Also, my breathing felt more 'productive'. Previously I would swim one lap and rest at the end breathing very hard, but it felt as if I couldn't get enough air into my lungs and I would breath hard for along time. This time it felt normal where I would breath hard for only a short time.

May 1, 2012 (Started Jan 05, 2012)

None (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: May 30 infusion. No improvements.

Apr 20, 2012 (Started Jan 05, 2012)

Can't tell (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Performed an infusion Friday April 20. Unlike the previous infusion I did not experience an improvement in swallowing.

Apr 14, 2012 (Started Jan 05, 2012)

Major (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: I have now given myself two rounds of IV infusions of off the shelf sodium chlorite. I was ready to give up on sodium chlorite because its effect has been diminishing since the tail end of the NP001 study. However, was pleasantly surprised this time. Lately I have been drinking seltzer water rather than tap water because I find it much easier to swallow. In fact, I have not been able to swallow plain water for over a month now. Last night I grabbed my glass of water and was drinking it while watching my son on the swing. While I usually focus like a laser on the task of drinking I wasn't paying attention, rather I was focused on my son. After a few sips of water I realized that the water had gone flat and I was still able to drink it. Also I could drink it without doing the chin tuck, which has also been necessary for the last couple of months. The difference is small but unquestionably real. I am approaching my one year 'chlorite' anniversary. I had my first infusion in June of 2011. This is very encouraging and tells me that chlorite is still having some effect.

Mar 10, 2012 (Started Dec 14, 2011)

Slight (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (yo-yo effect (alternating sleepiness and energy), This first round of OCS had a "yo-yo" effect; sleepiness alternating with extra energy.)
Dosage: 467 mL Daily

Dec 21, 2011 (Started Dec 14, 2011)

Dosage: 467 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: I've finished my first 8 days of oral sodium chlorite: 8 days on, 14 days off. • 0.75 mg/kg. @ 82 kgs. bodyweight. • 467 ml. each day in 2 or 3 servings, by glass w/straw. • No antioxidant supplements during “ON” cycle. Resumed those supplements during the “OFF” cycle. • Continued to take B12 (methylcobalamin) 1.5 mg, and 2 probiotic capsules daily during this On cycle. Also, "Dabigatran" for edema (swollen feet), and Milk of Magnesia laxative tablets. It's been like a yo-yo. Sometimes I really had to nap, other times I had great energy. Three mild headaches in total, with no diarrhea or nausea at all. My usual soft stool became harder and less plentiful. Bowel movements required more effort, but no constipation. No particular “recovered functions”, but no real discomfort either. Overall, in a very subtle way, I feel good! OFF cycle (2 weeks, Dec. 22~Jan. 5) Possible increase in overall fasciculations. Daily energy leveled off, back to my usual low. I'll continue taking this treatment because the benefits might increase with each successive cycle.

Jan 7, 2012 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Slight (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I just completed Round 7 with concentration again at 1.0 mg/kg. It seemed that the positive effects of the chlorite were not as evident as they were in previous rounds. I tried to consume most of the OSC in the afternoons on an empty stomach this time to improve the absorption into the blood stream. This was certainly more effective than consuming on a full stomach (noticed by the increase in side effects as compared to Round 6), but I didn't feel that the improvements were as noticeable as they were in Rounds 1-5. Not to say that the ALS progression had worsened, but I just had not noticed any real improvements this time. As far as negative side effects go, I seemed to have a little more trouble in the bowels this round. Constipation for 3 days, two separate times was experienced. This was very uncomfortable, so much so that I stopped one day short drinking the OSC. The plan moving forward is to continue with Round 8, maybe this time increasing the concentration back to 1.2 mg/kg again to see if gains can be experienced. Even with no noticeable gains, the fact that OSC seems to be slowing ALS progression makes this a viable treatment option and one I plan to continue.

Dec 18, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Slight (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I just finished round 6 of OSC and changed a few things around this time. The first thing was to double the concentration of chlorite per gallon so I would only have to drink ½ L per day. This made it a little easier since a Liter of liquid is a little bit hard to drink sometimes. I also reduced the chlorite concentration per day back down to 1.0 mg/kg. This helped to lessen some of the negative side effects, namely fatigue. Another thing different this time around was that I tried to consume the chlorite in the evening after dinner instead of in the afternoon on an empty stomach. I did this so that the mental fatigue caused by the chlorite could be used as a positive before bedtime. Doing this, I noticed that the negative side effects were much more tolerable, but I don't think that the efficacy of the chlorite was as pronounced as it had been before. I noticed only very subtle gains this time. It seems that drinking the chlorite solution on an empty stomach is certainly a better way to get the OSC into the blood stream. Maybe drinking very late at night, with an early supper might work better?

Nov 30, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: Well, I just finished Round 5 of the chlorite experiment (7 days on) this past weekend, and I think I have found my maximum concentration limit at 1.2 mg/kg. At this concentration level, the side effects experienced were very significant. Mental fatigue was the worst of the side effects. About 15 minutes after starting consumption of the chlorite solution (on an empty stomach), I started to feel the effects coming on. About an hour later, it was hard to keep my eyes open as I found myself falling asleep each day. After waking, I felt very unmotivated with kind of a foggy feeling in my head. Other side effects included slight nausea and diarrhea. Also noted, was a little bit of respiratory distress. It was a feeling that is hard to describe as there wasn't any build up of mucous or anything in my lungs, but it seemed like I was having a little bit of difficulty breathing though my diaphragm strength seemed to improve. On the positive side, I felt great the day after stopping OSC and continue to feel good a few days later. As mentioned above, I think my diaphragm strength is still improving, as well as improvements to right arm and hand. Legs though are still getting weaker. During this latest "off period", I've added a probiotic blend to my list of supplements to help aid with gut flora repopulation after OSC. For Round 6, I think I will back off the concentration to 1.0 mg/kg as the side effects seem to be more tolerable there.

Nov 18, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I'm just ready too begin round 5 and plan to continue until the good Lord takes me (a long time from now I hope!). I began round 1 with 0.5mg/kg and have steadily increased OSC concentration each round to the 1.2mg/kg level needed for round 5. I've noticed definite improvements in diaphragm strength with the ability to comfortably breath w/o bi-pap a few hours a day. In fact, my last FVC measure (taken a few months ago) was a bit HIGHER than previous. I expect the next FVC to be higher still. Increased strength in right hand/fingers has also been experienced with improved ability to drive my chair and use my mouse. The ability to chew and swallow has also noticeably improved with less choking and more pleasurable eating. Another nice thing is that I can make it all night without going p, really been nice for my wife to sleep the night. Negative side effects have all but subsided during the "on" period. Only the mental fatigue (not really physical) noticed by many still persists. With all the good news related to upper body improvements, I'm still experiencing degradation to lower extremities with decreases in leg strength noticed during transfers. I'm hoping that future rounds of higher concentration OSC might eventually slow/stop/reverse progression there as well. That along with a mouthful of vitamins and other dietary supplements such as taurine, amino acids, spurilina, probiotics, etc (a work in progress- http://www.als.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=49565) during the "off" period might just kill this beast. Always lots of water too, lots of water, lots...

Oct 19, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I am now 5 days into the rest period of round 3 and so far have not experienced any degradation in the ability to use/click my mouse with my right hand. Since this is my most significant improvement noticed from the experiment, this is great news for me. I think that the higher concentration of chlorite taken this time has improved the positive effect through the rest period. Next round I'm going to increase concentration even more (targeting 1ml/kg) since side effects seem to be less with each successive round. The plan in round 4 will also include removing all antioxidants (CoQ10, spirulina, Vit E, C, etc.) from the diet during the active 7 day period and then add them back during the next rest period, which will be shortened to 14 days. Also during the rest period, I hope to add some supplements to help rebuild nervous system cells. Supplements here would include an amino acid blend, omega3 with DHA, Vit D3, and a Vit B blend.

Oct 13, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I just started round 3 on Saturday with concentration upped to 6ml of 5% solution per gal of water (0.79mg/kg of chlorite). Still seeing only modest gains so far but still gains. Side effects (fatigue, insomnia) seem to be less this round. Blood-Ox levels remain high, typically @ 98-99% with my bipap on (my FVC has remained consistent throughout @ 25%). No respiratory congestion experienced to date. My diet is still high in anti-oxidants (CoQ10, spirulina, Vit E, C, etc.). In round 4 I'll take those out for the 7 'active' days of the experiment.

Sep 23, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Moderate (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I have now completed the second round of the oral sodium chlorite experiment and am happy to report that the subtle gains in my right hand/arm have been sustained. I am now again able to drive my chair and use my left mouse button again. Side effects seem more tolerable this time around. Fatigue is still the most prominent side effect.

Aug 27, 2011 (Started Aug 20, 2011)

Slight (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue, headaches)
Dosage: 1 L Daily
Advice & Tips: I started this treatment on 8/20/2011. It is an attempt to orally replicate the amount of NaClO2 that is being administered intravenously through the NP001 trial. The plan is to take one Liter per day of a water-based NaClO2 solution for 7 days, then rest for 16 days, then repeat. The water-based solution is made up of 1 gallon of distilled water, 4 mL of a 5% NaClO2 solution, and 1 gram of non-iodized salt. After only one week of taking this solution, I feel that it has helped me regain some strength in my hands and legs. The gains so far have been subtle, but nonetheless, they are still gains. I am looking forward to the next week of drinking the solution, which will begin on 9/12/2011. I have experienced some side effects including mild headaches, fatigue, and watery stool. All of these are relatively minor and very manageable. I will report more during the next several months.

Oct 19, 2011 (Started Oct 10, 2011)

Major (for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fatigue, nausea and vomiting)
Dosage: 1 other Daily
Advice & Tips: I am keeping a detailed log at https://sites.google.com/site/alschlorite/ under DTA NaClO2 Log found in the documents section.

Showing 4 of 4 patient evaluations for Sodium chlorite