10 patient evaluations for Etanercept with a cost of < $25

112 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Aug 19, 2016 (Started Jul 01, 2006)

None (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Enbrel was prescribed for me in the pen injection form and I used it religiously for around a year. I never noticed any effects from it, neither good nor bad. VERY disappointing!

Apr 1, 2014 (Started Nov 15, 2011)

Dosage: 50 mg Weekly

Jul 10, 2012 (Started Jan 05, 2012)

Moderate (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (rashes (redness, swelling), fatigue, nausea, itching)
Dosage: 50 mg Weekly
Advice & Tips: Enbrel helped clear up my acne which is nice. I combat the itching/swelling at the injection site by leaving the medicine out for 45min before injecting. Then I immediately apply anti-itch cream to about an inch or two circle around the site.

Feb 1, 2012 (Started Sep 01, 2011)

Dosage: 50 mg Weekly

Aug 15, 2010 (Started Jun 30, 2010)

Moderate (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (weakened immune system)
Dosage: 50 mg Weekly

Jun 30, 2010 (Started May 15, 2010)

Moderate (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (pain)
Dosage: 50 mg Weekly
Advice & Tips: If you can't stand the sting of the SureClick injection, try the 25 mg multi-use vials. You mix them yourself so they don't have preservatives, which is what made the SureClick sting so bad for me.

Apr 29, 2010 (Started Sep 17, 2008)

Moderate (for psoriatic arthritis)
Dosage: 50 mg Weekly

Aug 17, 2009 (Started Sep 17, 2008)

Moderate (for psoriatic arthritis)
Dosage: 50 mg Weekly
Advice & Tips: If you are experiencing pain when injecting after letting the syringe get to room temp, ice the injection area before injecting for about 10-12 minutes and then inject. Also if you get localized swelling and redness right after, put the ice pack on the area you just injected where the localized swelling is for a few minutes. Also, when I first started Enbrel I never bruised but now on many occasions I do bruise from the injections. (just tiny bruises) Never inject in the same spot, I generally switch thighs each time.

Mar 29, 2010 (Started Feb 10, 2006)

Major (for Other)
Dosage: 50 mg Weekly
Advice & Tips: I was on Enbrel for over 4 years (before MS dx), and it did wonders for my rheumatoid arthritis condition. When I was dxed with MS, my rhematologist was concerned about keeping me on Enbrel, so he discussed it with my neuro. My neuro said it was fine for me to stay on Enbrel, and two other neuros agreed. I changed my insurance this year, so I could see an MS Specialist and the first thing he did was have me stop taking Enbrel because he said it was making my MS worse!

Mar 26, 2010 (Started Jun 24, 2009)

Major (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (bruising)
Dosage: 50 mg Weekly
Advice & Tips: Five years ago I tried Enbrel. I had never felt better in my entire life! Then a few months after I started taking it I noticed that I no longer felt so good, and a month after that I felt horrible. It went from the BEST I had ever felt to the WORST I had ever felt in my entire life. Having had JRA * since I was two years old that is saying a LOT! { *Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis } Now that I've been back on it again for nearly a year it is back to working, and I could not be happier! Truly as long as you do not get sick, Enbrel is one of the best of the new treatments for RA! Previous Side-effects :: I must say before when I was on it I used to bruse very, very badly. So badly in fact that there were times when I could not have the injection done on that part of my leg. Current Side-effects: The brusing is minimal, to nonexistent. Additonal Information ~ Enbrel used to be in a bottle, and you would mix the amount for injection yourself. I must say it is the preservative that burns! Take my advice on this: If you can get, and feel comfortable mixing your own -- Do it! I would go back to that in a heartbeat, but I've never been able to find a pharmacy that could tell me if it is still available like that or not. And: Do NOT Use The EpiPen! Not unless you have to. It bruised me SO badly that I could hardly walk for two weeks! I would not use an EpiPen if my life depended on it. I'm So happy my new doctor listened to me when I said, "I no longer have the range of motion to give myself the injection for one, and for two I cannot even push the EpiPen button anyway." There is NO way I'd go back to using the EpiPen. Although I know the reasoning behind it (To allow people with limited range of motion to inject themselves) I do not see the point of a device that makes the injectable so painful, and bruises you so severely you cannot walk for half a month. Conclusion ~ ALWAYS have the person doing the injections somebody who has done the same type injections on themselves. They do a much better job! Now I look forward to having my weekly injection. In fact I actually get excited about it! Maybe I'm just at the point where I am telling myself it IS working again, and it is going to continue to work for me.
Side effects: bruising

Apr 16, 2009 (Started Dec 16, 2007)

Moderate (for inflammation in joints)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (injection site itching, injection site redness)
Dosage: 50 mg Weekly
Advice & Tips: I loved Enbrel; it didn't love me back. It stopped working so well after about a year. It was slightly problematic as well in that sometimes I had to wait to take it because the pharmacy had to special-order it. Fortunately I didn't have to travel with it; that would have been VERY problematic, as it has to stay at a certain temperature. I also had injection-site reactions. Sometimes the itching was so bad I'd scratch until I bled. All this taken together prompted my doctor to change my treatment to Orencia.
Side effects: injection site redness, injection site itching

Showing 10 of 10 patient evaluations for Etanercept